Combat mechanic trouble

I would like to hear from people who like the combat system and could discuss how they go about it. I have been trying to learn it, and nearly convinced I am too uncoordinated to hack it.

Here are the features from the posted list I have the most trouble with:

Players control swing direction based on mouse movement.
    Players control swing power based on holding their attacks.
    Players can defend using directional parries.

I understand the idea behind the features list. It looks intriguing on paper, but in game I just don’t see it working.
    Fighting Players, I can see what attacks they are about to perform, and feel I have a fair chance to counter and time attacks. With mobs, I just can’t tell… worst case I can accept that a player is better, but a mob has the unfair advantage of an AI that seems to hit me way better than I can hit it.

So talk to me. How do you guys manage combat?

To be honest. I'm no fan of the combat system in Xsyon. I tend to (ab)use the bug of standing on rocks when fighting larger animals. Small animals and weaker revenants are no big deal, but those 200+ hp mobs are hard to fight.

I do not bother about hitting and swing directions at all when fighting animals. Blocking and timing attacks seem like a joke to me. Don't know if its because Im lagged or what the reason is. Animals seem to hit me from far away so why even try to step back after a swing? You should have a chat with experienced pvp'ers ingame, they can surely enlighten you more of what to do.

You can time attacks to parry them and back off to keep from getting hit. When we do group hunts the person being attacked parries attacks while the others take it down. Solo you have to play it safe and have enough stamina to run, but combat is the same by timing or trying to avoid damage unless you have the gear and stats to take the damage while you finish them off.

Quote Originally Posted by lykoi View Post
    I would like to hear from people who like the combat system and could discuss how they go about it. I have been trying to learn it, and nearly convinced I am too uncoordinated to hack it.

Here are the features from the posted list I have the most trouble with:

I understand the idea behind the features list. It looks intriguing on paper, but in game I just don’t see it working.
    Fighting Players, I can see what attacks they are about to perform, and feel I have a fair chance to counter and time attacks. With mobs, I just can’t tell… worst case I can accept that a player is better, but a mob has the unfair advantage of an AI that seems to hit me way better than I can hit it.

So talk to me. How do you guys manage combat?
    You manage by either not getting hit (timing attacked with a back and forth tactic using charged attacks) or you use a teamwork system where, 1 person parries some of the damage and then switch if needed.

The system is horrid right now and hasnt been looked at in months. No idea when they will get around to making it work.

You are 100% right about the mobs, you cant see which direction they are attacking so your guess is just as good as anyones when you goto parry.

On a player, parring is pretty stupid unless you have a bunch of other players to help you attack the guy attacking you. Parry just puts you at best 0 damage, and at worse at a loss. The attacking player is almost always better off, and you are likely even better off just dodging the attack fully.

With the horrid desync, and combat issues. I dont see really how this will be fixed anytime soon.

Your best bet is to hunt in a group, or fight animals you take out HP/DPS them. Use good armor and weapons to help this also, train up skills/stats to get more HP.

After Fighting revenants the last few days, I have decided the Stand on rock method is the only solution that works for me. Hit and run tactics looked promising, but the mob seems to always heal faster than I do so im always behind the curve.

Maybe my stats and skill levels are not adequate?
    Str: 70.8
    Fort: 70.9
    Agil: 70.5

Armed: 70.9
    Picks: 33.9

Questions:
    What stat/skills levels do i need to solo a nekkid revenant?
    What, other that laying down (b), effects health regen?
    What stats really effect combat?
    Is there any point to dual wielding weapons?

Thanks for you input!

You could solo a naked revenant now but gear and weapons matter a lot. Gear allows you to take less damage and the weapons to out pace the damage you take by inflicting more damage to the revenant to kill it.

~Guidehael