Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:Skill Gain System

The problem with that is not all people can play everyday, some can only play a day or two a week, but can play all day those days.

Diarmue wrote:
    I've made this suggestion before and I'll make it again:

Use the same system as raising Deeds\\Hobbys in LOTRO. Basically, a skill can only gain X amount of points per day. This follows in line with real world training. A baker can make 100 cakes in one day but he won't become a master in a single day. Limit skill gain per day, real life 24 hours, the clock resets at 0:00.

LOTRO example with Fishing.

Max fishing skill is 200.
    Skill gain is capped at 10 per day.
    It takes 20 real days to become a master fisherman.

You can fish as much as you want, but you will not gain more than 10 points per day.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement if they are already have a skill gain system. They just insert a limit with a time frame. If they did something like include an offline training as in EVE, I'm pretty sure that would require a major reworking of the code.

Limiting the skill gain per day helps removes the need to macro. I'm sure their are plenty of other ways to deter macroing. That was just a suggestion.
    This sounds ok to me........

Veldern wrote:
    The problem with that is not all people can play everyday, some can only play a day or two a week, but can play all day those days.
    ^He wins^

Let people gain as much as they want. If <insert person> can't play as much as someone else, then so be it. That's just how it is. Xsyon will have a soft cap with skill decay, so I think this is all moot, anyway.

EVE has no cap and about 283898999 skills, so even though I despise their time-based system with a passion :X, it at least makes sense to me with regard to their decision.

As I said before... Strict AFK macro rules from the very beginning... Be swift. Be harsh.

JCatano wrote:
    A big "no" to the EVE system. Boooooo.

State the AFK macroing rules clearly from the beginning. Act swiftly and be harsh. Make sure your GMs are active and all on the same page.

Jadzia... If resources are dynamic and can deplete, which is what the feature list states, you can't effectively macro them.
    Well, you can't just shoot down a system without saying why it does not work besides "I don't like it". As far as using GM time to hunt down people who macro and ban them, HUGE waste of resources. Also waste of money since you are banning paying customers for poor game design.

You also severely underestimate human ingenuity. Take Darkfall for instance. Players would find glitches in the map and fall through the world and macro all night and day underneath the world with no risk. This is just one example.

Darkfall has a zero tolerance policy on macroing yet it is still rampant and very unfair to casual players and even hardcore players that don't macro.

Virtus,
    Can we get some input on this? Besides skill decay, is there anything stopping players from just macroing up the skills they want?

The reason I ask is that this may lead to tribes staying in safe zones macroing all day instead of actually playing the game. Ask some of the Darkfall guys in vent about this. They know all about how macros destroyed the way character progression was suppose to work in that game.

If you see me macroing kill me problem solved just make it illegial to macro in safe zones

Derek wrote:
    JCatano wrote:

State the AFK macroing rules clearly from the beginning. Act swiftly and be harsh. Make sure your GMs are active and all on the same page.

Jadzia... If resources are dynamic and can deplete, which is what the feature list states, you can't effectively macro them.
    Well, you can't just shoot down a system without saying why it does not work besides "I don't like it". As far as using GM time to hunt down people who macro and ban them, HUGE waste of resources. Also waste of money since you are banning paying customers for poor game design.

You also severely underestimate human ingenuity. Take Darkfall for instance. Players would find glitches in the map and fall through the world and macro all night and day underneath the world with no risk. This is just one example.

Darkfall has a zero tolerance policy on macroing yet it is still rampant and very unfair to casual players and even hardcore players that don't macro.
    I did shoot it down, because I don't like it. To be blunt, I think EVE's system sucks. You can't shoot down my opinion of it, since you don't agree. :P

Darkfall has shoddy coding to begin with. The only model I'd use them for is "What not to do!" in many of their situations. Other games have detection as far as geometry exploits... DF doesn't.

You fail to mention the grind and the lack of enforcement from the beginning in DF, too.

And don't start the "poor game design" mantra. An exploiter is an exploiter, no matter how easy it is to do.

Again... Xsyon will have a cap. There is no need for a time-based system.

JCatano wrote:

If there is no ingame mechanic to make macroing impossible or at least hard or pointless, then GMs can only solve a tiny bit of that problem. The problem is that the macroer has to be caught, and what if he is in a well-hidden spot ? Not to mention how much it would cost to hire GMs to catch macroers.

And I don't know how dynamic a mine can be...and it shouldn't deplete fast, should at least last till 1-2 weeks, so that won't help to avoid abusing mining skill.(Just an example)

Okie wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    Okie wrote:
    I never understood how afk macroing hurt casual players. As long as the grind isnt that bad macroing should not even be an issue.
    The question is why to macro ? If you are bored to actually play the game, then why do you play it ?

And macroing hurts the economy, not only the casual players. If gathering resources can be macroed then the legal players aren't able to earn in-game money.
    Well im coming from df and in df especially in the beginning you had to macro. Thats why I said if the grind wasent bad then it wouldent be a problem.

To the why to macro if your are to bored to actually play the game question. I like to pvp and the few hours I get to play a week I would rather do that then grind.
    I understand your point, and I think you are kind of right...a good game is supposed to be fun from the first minute, not only after you reached some levels. Most of the games reminds me to a very bad book....where I'm asked to read through 300 boring pages for the promise that it will be interesting on the last 10 pages.

In a good game you should be able to PvP on lvl 1, just find the proper enemies, so you could enjoy your favourite activity from the very beginning.

Its another question if someone wants to be the best and the strongest in a week, then its not wrong game design, its the player's fault to set wrong goals. In this case he doesn't play for enjoying PvP or the game, but to strengthen his e-confidence :laugh:

All I know is if I want to fish for days strait without sleeping I want to be able to and I want to get skills while doing so. I'm not talking about macroing it. I mean real hardcore masochistic stuff.
    The prospect of time based skill gains makes me /sadpanda