Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re:Skill Gain System

I've always felt a good way to handle skill pools without having everyone being world-class at one thing in every pool is to create an attribute for each skill classification. This attribute influences the size of the skill pool.

For instance, Athleticism for strength/stamina skills, Coordination for more precise physical skills, Arcane/Piety for magic/religion (in games that have those things), Memory for knowledge skills, Artistry for fine art/music/dance skills, Handiness for craft skills, etc.

This way people can be jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none if they choose ... but if they want to be the absolute best fighter, they have to pump their Athleticism and/or Coordination, so that the others are less developed. Meanwhile, a hardcore crafter might focus on Handiness, with Memory a strong second, and maybe a little Artistry - but this leaves them with a rather mediocre Athletics, Coordination or Piety pool.

There's still a fair amount a customization possible. A battlemage (in a game with magic, of course) might spec Arcana and Athleticism, while a traditional mage might be Arcana + Memory. Even a pure fighter can elect to be an exceptionally powerful skullcrushing juggernaut (but only above average in finesse) or an exceptionally well-coordinated swashbuckler with only above average strength -- or something between the two.

Personally, given the information I've seen so far, I don't see anything that could really be macroed for gain.

I was concerned at first but now the only thing I can think of is maybe rescources, but if you can only carry so many at a time and gathering them takes more than just left clicking, i.e. cut down the tree, move to downed tree location, chop up tree, individually pick up logs.

It would take player interaction to do this. not to mention the fact that rescources are depletable.

The only problems I could see would be people macroing the run, stamina, jump etc. skills, or if you could gain combat skills from other players.

Yes, but remember even run, jump and stamina type skills are counted toward the softcap thus the player will be making the decision to have a heavily running and jumping based character, how over-powered...

But in addition to that, the system Jooky described means that if another player wanted to get their run or jump skills up and played naturally they would get their skill up more effectively than someone who tried to macro it.

As far as im concerned they have all the right infrastructure in place for a fair, enjoyable and realistic skill system, they just need to balance it right, which im doing my best to ensure.

edaw22 wrote:
    Yes, but remember even run, jump and stamina type skills are counted toward the softcap thus the player will be making the decision to have a heavily running and jumping based character, how over-powered...

But in addition to that, the system Jooky described means that if another player wanted to get their run or jump skills up and played naturally they would get their skill up more effectively than someone who tried to macro it.

As far as im concerned they have all the right infrastructure in place for a fair, enjoyable and realistic skill system, they just need to balance it right, which im doing my best to ensure.
    Very glad to hear that.

That sort of depth should help make some diverse builds if each skill is balanced well.

edaw22 wrote:

Sorry, edaw22, but I'm a bit confused about your position....are you a player like any of us, or are you a part of the developer team in any way ? ( I thought you were a player but seems you are more than that, just make it clear please)

I apologize if my posts on this or any other matter have made my position within the community unclear.

I have been put in charge of compiling and categorizing bugs and suggestions from the community which is why I am a moderator of the Bugs, Suggestions and Game Balance sub-forums.

I am in no way an official member of the development team, however due to the community position I hold, I often communicate with Jordi regarding a range of different game aspects. As such I have been able to glean a certain amount of knowledge about some of the games systems. This along side my experiences playing the game in the current early access phase are what I am basing all my posts on.

When I said "Which I am doing my best to ensure" I meant simply via discussions with Jordi and via the community suggestions forum.

Everything I have said has been personally confirmed to me by Jordi however the exact wording of my posts or statements by no means reflect the official word of the developers.

I hope that clears things up.

edaw22 wrote:
    I apologize if my posts on this or any other matter have made my position within the community unclear.

I have been put in charge of compiling and categorizing bugs and suggestions from the community which is why I am a moderator of the Bugs, Suggestions and Game Balance sub-forums.

I am in no way an official member of the development team, however due to the community position I hold, I often communicate with Jordi regarding a range of different game aspects. As such I have been able to glean a certain amount of knowledge about some of the games systems. This along side my experiences playing the game in the current early access phase are what I am basing all my posts on.

When I said "Which I am doing my best to ensure" I meant simply via discussions with Jordi and via the community suggestions forum.

Everything I have said has been personally confirmed to me by Jordi however the exact wording of my posts or statements by no means reflect the official word of the developers.

Thanks for your reply, its clear now

Edit: I appreciate your effort and work you put into the game !

Jadzia wrote:
    edaw22 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, its clear now

Edit: I appreciate your effort and work you put into the game !
    Thanks, as I told Jooky originally. I just want to see Xsyon become the best game it can be.