Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Skill Gain System

It might be a good idea to start thinking about how this will play out before the game officially launches. If skill gain is solely achieved through repeating the same action, this will inevitably lead to rampant macroing. Just look at DF and where they are now. The game started with heavy exploitation of mobs for gold and resources which were then used to nonstop macro skills to the highest levels in a very short amount of time. The devs never saw it coming.

The way I propose to combat this is through an Eve Online type skill gain system to complement the other system. So you can put a skill you want raised in the queue and that skill will lvl up to X in Y amount of time. That skill will then be locked from gain the normal way so you can't get double gains.

This would allow more casual players a way to keep up and also give more control over character progression timeline to the devs. That is, if the afk/queue system was more efficient than the repetition system.

Edit: this would also allow for more sandbox type play as you wouldn't feel the need to grind skills while in game.

Re:Skill Gain System

Some sort of skill/time limits would be a good thing.

I played Dragonrealms, they had a skill XP mindlock system. If you gained too many XP for a skill in a short amount of time, that skill would lock and you would not gain any more XP in that skill until you had rested the skill for a little while. You could work on another skill, but the more locked skills you had, the easier it was to fill up another skill. The when you used a skill, system put skill XP in to a temporary holding bucket which was absorbed over time into the skill's experience.

This didn't completely stop AFK Macroing, but it made it harder for someone to use it to out pace players who actually played the game. GMs would check on players who appeared to be unresponsive and if caught, they were put in time out rooms or banned for multiple infractions of the policy.

That sounds like another way to do it. I like the Eve style skill progression because you can actually play the game without grinding and still feel like you've accomplished something. Either way, macro skill gain needs to have some kind of check/balance because it can some serious consequences to the game if left unchecked.

Another way I can think of is not to get xp at all for activities, but people could get a level when they accomplish a goal. Like for construction skill one would get level 1 when he build a bench. After that he can build more benches if he needs some, but that won't give him any xp or levels. He will get his next level only when he build a tent.

For combat it could be the same, he gets lvl 1 when he kill a wolf. After that killing wolves won't give him xp, he can kill them though for resources. He will get the next level when he kills a bear, the 3rd when he kills a zombie or whatever. The higher level the goal is, it should be harder and harder to accomplish, harder to kill the monster or in building-wise would need more resources and would take more time.

And of course every new level opens up a new set of available goals, like you won't able to build a tent till you haven't built a bench. And you won't be able to kill a bear till you haven't killed a wolf ( you would be able to attack it though, just wouldn't be able to finish it up.)

Have the devs even considered the afk macroing thing or even the active macroing fo that matter. I would rather it not be allowed. I don't want the game to turn out like UO where none of the old or new played know how to play without razor.

I never understood how afk macroing hurt casual players. As long as the grind isnt that bad macroing should not even be an issue.

Okie wrote:
    I never understood how afk macroing hurt casual players. As long as the grind isnt that bad macroing should not even be an issue.
    The question is why to macro ? If you are bored to actually play the game, then why do you play it ?

And macroing hurts the economy, not only the casual players. If gathering resources can be macroed then the legal players aren't able to earn in-game money.

A big "no" to the EVE system. Boooooo.

State the AFK macroing rules clearly from the beginning. Act swiftly and be harsh. Make sure your GMs are active and all on the same page.

Jadzia... If resources are dynamic and can deplete, which is what the feature list states, you can't effectively macro them.

Jadzia wrote:
    Okie wrote:
    The question is why to macro ? If you are bored to actually play the game, then why do you play it ?

And macroing hurts the economy, not only the casual players. If gathering resources can be macroed then the legal players aren't able to earn in-game money.
    Well im coming from df and in df especially in the beginning you had to macro. Thats why I said if the grind wasent bad then it wouldent be a problem.

To the why to macro if your are to bored to actually play the game question. I like to pvp and the few hours I get to play a week I would rather do that then grind.

Xsyon Citizen

I've made this suggestion before and I'll make it again:

Use the same system as raising Deeds\\Hobbys in LOTRO. Basically, a skill can only gain X amount of points per day. This follows in line with real world training. A baker can make 100 cakes in one day but he won't become a master in a single day. Limit skill gain per day, real life 24 hours, the clock resets at 0:00.

LOTRO example with Fishing.

Max fishing skill is 200.
    Skill gain is capped at 10 per day.
    It takes 20 real days to become a master fisherman.

You can fish as much as you want, but you will not gain more than 10 points per day.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement if they are already have a skill gain system. They just insert a limit with a time frame. If they did something like include an offline training as in EVE, I'm pretty sure that would require a major reworking of the code.

Limiting the skill gain per day helps removes the need to macro. I'm sure their are plenty of other ways to deter macroing. That was just a suggestion.

Edit:

Wanted to add this comment. Interesting ideas Jadzia. I like those too. Goals instead of your standard xp/skill bar.