I am aware there is an existing thread about kickstarter campaign, but since I haven't bought the game I don't have permissions to write there.

As others have mentioned, 250k is way too high and I doubt there is a real chance it would be met.

From the kickstarter projects I have seen only those with much lower goal got close to such sum.
Some people will not pledge to a project which, in their opinion, doesn't have chances for reaching the goal. Why go through registration / login process, send credit card info and reserve money on bank account for a month or longer if it won't be used anyway?

Xsyon is not the first project which has set its goal too high, only to get nothing in the end. I assume that Xsyon devs are aware that anything above the goal is still given to them, and without reaching the goal project is not funded at all. So why such decision?

Add to it that general opinion on the game suffers. People see that the project wasn't funded, which may bring some conclusions:
- it was not good enough
- if creators set so high goal, then it probably meant that without all those funds there is no chance for project to succeed
- the game will become vaporware without those funds

Now, I'm pretty sure some of you will ask why is someone who hasn't even bought the game saying all that?
I've been watching Xsyon since its beta (although I didn't get into open beta), and had some hopes for it, especially since I love sandbox games with good economy system which let you build your place and shape the world around you. However I refused to pay more than for any AAA game in my country (Blizzard games included, and those are most expensive here) for something I can't even try. So I waited until the free trial. I tried and I didn't like what I saw. But with the talks of kickstarter fundraising I hoped that it would make the game better, to a point where I could like it too.