Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    So by that logic we should have perma death, and able to loot carts, and no permissions on baskets in a tribe either.

Let's not try to make everything about being 100% real and think of what would make it more fun? I don't think sending info to another totem to display what is for sale in another tribe is going to break anything. You still have to transport the goods from that totem to your own totem as well as get the currency to the totem you are buying it from.

What it does help is the hassle of walking around aimlessly in hope you run into a trade totem with the goods you might need.

I never said to make 100% real, I just want logic to it. Some sort of explaination of how things go about in the game world.

What it does help is the hassle of walking around aimlessly in hope you run into a trade totem with the goods you might need.
    There is nothing wrong with that, to get to know your neighboors
    Last edited by joexxxz; 02-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Ok I'm sorry if I came up with this too little, too late. But, I wrote an article and posted it in the suggestions and it would completely change the way trading works. It is essentially a forum on the website for arranging trades with maybe it's own currency. If you want to read more about it check http://www.xsyon.com/project.php?issueid=1709#note6836

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    I never said to make 100% real, I just want logic to it. Some sort of explaination of how things go about in the game world.
    Do NOT apply logic to a game

If you try to justify all features in Xsyon by logic reasoning you are in so much deep poo you won't be able to walk. If you don't believe me try wrestle your mind around these mind benders:

1. Water is not a liquid, its a surface.
    2. In the distance, when deeply immersed into the game you, all of a sudden, hear a car/truck on a road somewhere.
    3. You manage to stack almost all types of fish, but there is this one fin-attached thingy that won't let you.
    4. You can make lots of armor, even out of bone parts you never really want to know about, but you got no clue what to do with metal sheets that are in any junk pile in huge quantities.
    5. There are a wide array of weapons availabe but no one really got the hang of how to toss a stone.
    6. In the nicely cleared area you decide to plant a tree but a universal counter somewhere won't let you.
    7. You try to hit this pesky animal in front of you but you are not close enough with your pick. The animal, on the other hand, have no problem biting you from the same distance.

With that said, my point is that I think a global market kind of thing would be a good idea for the game. A much needed sink has to be implemented at the same time to create a surge too for the currency.
    Last edited by Azzym; 02-06-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Xsyon Citizen
    Currency sink is one of the main issues with trading in any game.

A constant flow of new goods/resources versus a constant consumption of these goods - the balance between both these is essential for any game with trading!

So lets make a list, where does the stuff we create/gather in Xsyon go:
    -) tools do break
    -) weapons do break (shovels/axe mostly used by the players)
    -) armor does break (eventually - never did happen to me though)
    -) waterbarrels break (eventually - never did happen to me though)
    -) architecture (every time you break down a created structure some materials are lost, but you do not have to do that)

Most of the resources that get sinked (are removed from the game again) are available in abundance.
    "Rare resources" are:
    -) old saw blades for tools-saws
    -) shovel heads for weapons-shovels (terraforming)
    -) tar, plastic bags for tools-waterskins (though sap for forager waterskins is available in abundance, and the scavenger/pioneer waterskins pose no particular benefit)
    -) "good" bones - for armor / tools
    -) "good" leather - for armor
    -) metal decorations - for armor

Sorry if I am missing some thing you find important, but I am only listing things that are a true sink - nails are not on the list, because the stuff you create with nails (buildings, carts) are not "used up".

Each game with trading has one or moremajor sinks for resources, mostly in the field of either upkeep (repair) or progress (learning).

I am not sure if there is so much need for trading in Xsyon?!?
    In my opinion the "sink" issue has to be tackled as well, to create the need!
    Lots of ideas where posted in the last years that tackle this issue - upkeep for totems, faster decay of tools, decay of buildings ...

I like the idea of "gods" in Xsyon - which explains a lot of stuff going on (see Azzym list).

What about this idea:
    -) altar building - with places to put resources (like a normal building)
    -) for collecting and spending (sink !!) certain resources your tribe receives boni on the tribe area (this feature is working already) - like instead of +4 to all stats, +5/+6 for intelligence or any other stat the tribe chooses to push? So basically a tribe could choose to sink a lot of resources to get a (temporary) buff on some stats for their members - they get blessed by the gods ...

I am trying to work with "features" that are already in the game and should be fairly easy to realize ...

In my opinion there should be a sink present when the trade totems are available to foster the use of the totems.

I love your post and I agree with it completely.

+1 tomduril I was going to suggest exactly what you outlined. Especially building a shrine that grants tribal members a buff. The shrine would require an upkeep such as resources or currency. I also think it would cool that if a neighboring tribe builds the same shrine it would cause the upkeep cost to rise. Then tribes would declare war with the intent of destroying the shrines. Either way such a system would really kick start the economy and add a ton of value to xsyon.
    Last edited by Venciera; 02-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Great post soakerl! Xsyon would be a much better game with a healthy economy. The correct consensus here is that there needs to be a sink for currency/resources as well as create value for the "rare" items in game. The altar idea would work imo. It would be a great start.

Another thing that has been wearing on my nerves for some time is the existance of so many useless items. Metal knobs top the list for me because they have been around since launch. There are so many more that the complete list is more than I will attempt to put together. Please lets the gods reveal the purpose of these artifacts. Maybe there could be a way to recycle these "goods" into an offering to the altar.

Pfft, who needs computers and gods?

How do we know whats for sale? Smoke signals. Good old fashioned smoke signals.

Puff puff ... I have 10,000 nails for sale in 736 ... puff puffety puff puff ... also selling pinemartin keychains, 5 bottlecaps each or 3 for 12.

I agree that, despite the wishes and plans of the devs, UNTIL there is a useful currency sink added to the game, trade totems will be completely unused.

That's not how a small economy works, folks. You can't just fairy out some dollar bills with nothing to do with them and expect them to be used over something more established and useful.