Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    OK i am pretty new here.. me and a few mates recently started playing.. Tho of coruse i did play in beta and initally at release.. but stopped not long after due to the fact it took 30 mins to load in at the location of my base lol.. anyway.

Why is this feature needed.. why force people to put time into upkeep? wont this put people off from playing?

I have probally totally missed a post that covers the reasons for having this in game.. if so i appologise in advance..
    Last edited by caldrin; 03-25-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caldrin View Post
    Why is this feature needed.. why force people to put time into upkeep? wont this put people off from playing?

I have probally totally missed a post that covers the reasons for having this in game.. if so i appologise in advance..
    Welcome Caldrin. Yes, it will put people off from playing unless it yields rewards we wouldn't normally have. Hopefully they will take it in that direction, and remove the penalties it would now impose.

It is nice to hear the viewpoint of a new player on this issue.

Come visit us at Raven Moon some day.

Yeah it does seem like a very strange thing to bring in considering there are not that many people actually playing the game.

Whats your location.. could always take a trip over exploring one night.. my tribe Pain Killers are based in 981 for now as we are still all pretty new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverspirit View Post
    Welcome Caldrin. Yes, it will put people off from playing unless it yields rewards we wouldn't normally have. Hopefully they will take it in that direction, and remove the penalties it would now impose.
    Yeah it does seem like a very strange thing to bring in considering there are not that many people actually playing the game.
    Whether or not a few or a lot of people are playing doesn't really matter. It's a much needed feature to give totems and the things they give worth. It will also give currency and granite (later other things like provisions) worth or more worth.

In fact, its likely better to do when few people are playing than with a lot of people are playing effecting less people. People don't like change even when its for the better sometimes. Like you said you believe you are already entitled to these bonuses without having to upkeep or pay for them. Those kinds of change are always hard to swallow but they are for the betterment of the game.

Instead of tossing out the idea as a whole, why not put out an amount of upkeep you think is reasonable? Which Xsyon has asked for a few times in this thread.
    Last edited by MrDDT; 03-25-2013 at 07:09 AM.

what is the reason for the upkeep tho.. where does this money go?

It would be better off if buildings just decayed over time and now and then you would just need to use resources on said building to repair it.. You could then base the stat bonus off the state of your buildings and so on.. IF you dont repair the building then they will just fall down maybe leaving some of the base materials but not all of them.. that way there is a good reason to maintain the buildings..

As for the use of money... if tribes started to accept money as payment for items and so on then it would have a use.. but that knid of thing is hard to get going i guess..

I still dont think its a good idea either way.. i know they payments wont be much for small calns but it will still be a forced grind to keep everyting as it is now.. i just think it will scare people away a bit..

I could be totally wrong tho.. im new to this game so i cant really comment..

I think you missed the main question. Not whether or not it should be put in, but how much resources it should take or would be too much or too little etc.

About where the money goes? Who knows.

About having the building's decay, you think it would be better running around checking each architecture part to see if it needs to be repaired, and the mats types you would need for each one?
    I would much rather have a single place and item to look at and upkeep than having to run around checking each architecture part and repairing it. I also have parts of my buildings I cant even reach.

Tribes won't use currency unless it useful or something. This is giving it a use for everyone in the game, not just a few special crafters.

Yeah maybe i was thinknig a bit small.. my tribe base only has a few buildings haha i guess the bigger ones have tons..

Hopefully your right... but its basically making money only good for 1 thing and i guess that was not the initial idea behind having currency in game..

Anyway i do hope your right and it does not push more people away from this game, as with some work i think it could be really good.

As for how many resources it should take? as little as possible i guess so that people dont feel forced into playing the game just for the upkeep..

Whats your location.. could always take a trip over exploring one night.. my tribe Pain Killers are based in 981 for now as we are still all pretty new to this.
    I agree with you caldrin, I don't like the idea, not even a little bit. I agree the amount of resources should be very small. $100 or 100 granite max. Otherwise it takes away from the fun of the game, and people will leave if they are forced to do this. Xsyon has to stop taking things away and start making the game fun again. Yes, I feel that things I have been doing for free for 2 years should still be free to do. If I am paying upkeep for extra bonuses, I agree with that. Don't make me pay to terraform and build, since that is just wrong.

Anyway, caldrin, we are at 696 450 950. Just /w Riverspirit in game if you are coming to visit some day and we can show you around.

Xsyon Citizen
    I have to agree with Mr. DDT here.

The amount of upkeep needed sets the "value" of currently worthless dollars, quarters, pennies, bottlecaps and *thestuffiforgotabout*.

So if it is 100 dollars per month - dollars won`t be worth much. It it would be 1000 dollars per day, most tribes will probably just ignore the bonus. So a reasonable price has to be found. Still you have to consider that large quanities are available in the game and after those have been spend the "real" worth will emerge.

With the ability to choose your own currency (one out of 6) we will see a dynamic "currency" market with tribes that need more upkeep eventually switching currency to get a "cheaper" upkeep. After a while the currencies will stabilize and we will see how it all turns out. Because of the resource distribution I expect that local area currencies (stuff that you find a lot in your junk pile) could emerge.

Where do the resources/currencies go?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Ask yourself: Who/What protects your land/baskets, who/what provides the bonuses on your tribe land? - Maybe its just believe and imagination that protects/buffs you, you feel safe ... and maybe you need to spend currency at your totem to keep this believe?!? Or it is magic ... but what is the difference? Is there a difference between believe and magic? For me the important thing is that it works - and my stuff is protected from all the greedy folk running around and that the ~400 wooden posts and 200 granite walls are not rotting in the hash environment
    -----------------------------------------------
    My suggestion: 250 currency per realtime week.
    for mid sized tribes (>40 <80)- roughly 1000 currency per xsyon season
    for clans (upto 5) - 130 currency per xsyon season
    for huge tribes (>80) - 1500 currency per xsyon season
    20 currency per player/season - something about that line (less depending on the number of players ...)

22 currency per player/season upto 10 players in tribe
    20 currency per player/season upto 30 players in tribe
    18 currency per player/season upto 50 players in tribe
    17 currency per player/season upto 60 players in tribe
    16 currency per player/season upto 70 players in tribe
    15 currency per player/season more than 70 players in tribe

Pawnee = 64 players in tribe = 1088 curr/season

With 14.000 dollars in my tribes baskets this would last for about 12 x-seasons (xsyon seasons) - 3 x-years - 27 realtime(rt) weeks ~ 1/2 rt year.
    Last edited by tomduril; 03-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.

I believe this is a great idea to spice up the economy. A sink is very much needed, then more players will interact with each other, setting a strong foundation for this game to increase its player base.

Not only would it encourage large tribes to trade carts, tools, recipes, etc. But, it'll also punish them for stockpiling things that newer members need as they'll have to collect the upkeep themselves.

This will cause homesteaders to become more resourceful through player interaction(something this game is serious lacking), and not cause them to quit because no one wants to trade a saw blade with them(because large tribe don't need anything most of the time). However, this will also make joining large tribes less of a need.

I think the sacrifice is well worth the rewards, the buffs are an added bonus!
    Last edited by ryanargu; 03-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.