Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re:I am a Hunter/Gatherer and Crafter type of player

I really need to stop posting when drinking...

That said, I see a few posts in this thread that, somewhat show, those who don't participate in PvP will have "issues".

To those that want to compare this game to Darkfall, seriously?

Last I saw, Darkfall isn't braking any records. Darkfall had some major money backing it. Darkfall had Years to advertise it's creation via the various MMO forums across the interwebs during development. Far as I know, this game was just announced 2 months ago(I may be wrong on that if forums changed).

Look, folks, i'm not a bad guy nor a troll. I simply see a game I WANT to play based on what it says it offers.

I have seen a couple folks in this thread already state, they will kill me if they see me, regardless whether I am a threat or not(ingame of course) for no other reason then they can and they enjoy it.

You don't think that's a problem?

Tell me a Crafter trying to defend himself out in the wilds actually has a chance to, then I will change opinion. All games I have ever played force Crafters to be gimped in combat skills. Is that the case here?

Really, what this post is about is survivability ingame for Crafters.

Also bear in mind folks, without those Crafters, you PvP/Combat types won't have much to wear or wield.

I will tell you that there is a hiding skill. I don't know how well it works though.

Even without a hiding skill, you can expect to be able to run away if you are smart about when and how.

At Farmer and Dio, what you say may work but how often this happens directly affects a crafters playability.

Will I spend 5 mins a day running away or an hour running away during a 3-4 hour play session?

That's the question Crafters types need to know.

It depends on how long your going to be pursued by your would be assassin.

Diocletian wrote:
    Considering what I have read about Inventory items having "weight" and slowing you down(unless you drop your inventory and lose an hours worth of play time), how long i'm chased doesn't matter if I lose everything I have been working for.

Kunra wrote:
    Diocletian wrote:
    Considering what I have read about Inventory items having "weight" and slowing you down(unless you drop your inventory and lose an hours worth of play time), how long i'm chased doesn't matter if I lose everything I have been working for.
    Perhaps it would do you better to find some protection while gathering, or even gathering in a group to put off any would be attackers.

The world is not a safe haven, and it never will be.

If you're aware enough, though, it should be more than easy enough to avoid approaching enemies. (especially considering there is 0 ranged damage)

Your question in an earlier post about it being a problem that people will kill you flat out, with no valid reason .. I say no, that is not a problem, that is Xsyon, you get both sides of the sphere here.

Relandi wrote:
    Kunra wrote:
    Diocletian wrote:
    Perhaps it would do you better to find some protection while gathering, or even gathering in a group to put off any would be attackers.

If you're aware enough, though, it should be more than easy enough to avoid approaching enemies. (especially considering there is 0 ranged damage)
    I was hoping someone would post something like this. Your statement about "protection" is something I have seen in everysingle MMO that has Crafters lacking in combat skills.

Here's the difference, in most of those games,Crafters are forced to agther for HOURS everysingle night to be ABLE to craft becuase of varying loot tables.

You willing to "protect" me 3-4 hours every night while I gather and craft?

Kunra wrote:
    Relandi wrote:
    Kunra wrote:
    Diocletian wrote:

I was hoping someone would post something like this. Your statement about "protection" is something I have seen in everysingle MMO that has Crafters lacking in combat skills.

Here's the difference, in most of those games,Crafters are forced to agther for HOURS everysingle night to be ABLE to craft becuase of varying loot tables.

You willing to "protect" me 3-4 hours every night while I gather and craft?
    I sure would

Kunra - I only know of two places in the MMO world where there is good crafting, and NO PVP.

Horizons (now Istaria) has a nice crafting system, you can even play a dragon, and the last I heard there was no pvp.

Wurm Online, on the Freedom Server NOT the Wild server is also PVP free except duelling.

The thing is that the most active crafting communities are attached to PVP because people lose stuff. Some games have damage to equipment, etc.

If you want the most active crafting, and you want to be part of a community where your skills are needed rather than just being something nice to have around, then you need PVP and Crafting.

But you won't be able to go wandering around solo doing whatever you want in a PVP world because the same people that make your skills useful also make such behavior unhealthy.

You cannot have the best of both worlds. Period. Complete independence as a crafter and actual need for your services simply do not mix well. You will need to compromise.

This is coming from someone who sucks at PVP and would honestly love exactly what you are looking for, but I can tell you that in several years looking, I haven't found it yet, and I have come to the realization I never will.

This is not meant as an insult, it's a wake-up call. You will either work with other people to keep yourself safe in the face of enemy threat, OR you will have no enemy threat, and fellow players will have far less need of your skills.