Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re:I am a Hunter/Gatherer and Crafter type of player

Kunra wrote:
    I was hoping someone would post something like this. Your statement about "protection" is something I have seen in everysingle MMO that has Crafters lacking in combat skills.

Here's the difference, in most of those games,Crafters are forced to agther for HOURS everysingle night to be ABLE to craft becuase of varying loot tables.

You willing to "protect" me 3-4 hours every night while I gather and craft?
    If you were part of my clan, and it were benefiting the group as a whole, and not just yourself? Fuck yeah, I would.

This is common place in the clans/guilds, whatever you want to call them, that I've been in..

However, losses will happen, if you don't like it, then I don't know what to suggest to you. There is no way to promise you no loss of items without turning this game into bubblegum crap, IMO, of course.

Also - The soft cap will only apply to groups of skills, if I am understanding it correct. Which means those who dedicate themselves to crafting, will still have the ability to refine their defensive/offensive skills without it hampering their crafting ability, which should be no problem for you if you can manage 3-4 hours every night.

Farmerbob wrote:
    Kunra - I only know of two places in the MMO world where there is good crafting, and NO PVP.

Horizons (now Istaria) has a nice crafting system, you can even play a dragon, and the last I heard there was no pvp.

Wurm Online, on the Freedom Server NOT the Wild server is also PVP free except duelling.

The thing is that the most active crafting communities are attached to PVP because people lose stuff. Some games have damage to equipment, etc.

If you want the most active crafting, and you want to be part of a community where your skills are needed rather than just being something nice to have around, then you need PVP and Crafting.

But you won't be able to go wandering around solo doing whatever you want in a PVP world because the same people that make your skills useful also make such behavior unhealthy.

You cannot have the best of both worlds. Period. Complete independence as a crafter and actual need for your services simply do not mix well. You will need to compromise.

This is coming from someone who sucks at PVP and would honestly love exactly what you are looking for, but I can tell you that in several years looking, I haven't found it yet, and I have come to the realization I never will.

This is not meant as an insult, it's a wake-up call. You will either work with other people to keep yourself safe in the face of enemy threat, OR you will have no enemy threat, and fellow players will have far less need of your skills.
    Farmer,what you and I want once existed. It was Pre-CU SWG economy/crafting system.

I just don't see a game that was designed around a Crafting system yet has Open World PvP and being Profitable.

PvP/Combat=decay=crafters are needed.

Open World PvP=fewer(or no crafters)=Lack of players=Fail.

quit your winning. no matter what you say and no matter what you do this game will always have open world pvp. and just look around a bit... the majority of the guilds are crafting guilds. they are not scared of open world pvp. quite frankly i think it is more realistic to have open world pvp vs anything else... and yes i mean anything else. for example in the real world if you want to kill someone go right ahead... nothing can stop you, granted you will have to deal with the consequences after wards but nothing will stop you from taking such actions.

SWG pre combat update wasn't safe for me, I was a combat medic/doctor. Even though I did almost entirely PVE and intown stuff, I was ganked fairly regularly, though as a combat medic I was normally able to do a bit of mind poison and even won a couple fights by healing while my enemies brains rotted. I suppose pure crafters might have been pretty much untouchable unless they assisted someone else in a fight.

However, that game isn't around any more

Back to the topic though. Crafters in EVE do just fine, provided they understand their limits and don't try to be completely solo. The same thing in Wurm, on Wild. It all depends on how well the games are set up to be able to provide defenses to crafters who are part of a balanced mix of players.

Until we see more on how the PVP system in Xsyon works, it's just too early to tell, but I doubt it's going to be a carebear crafters' paradise. It might be close, but I would not hold your breath for it to be exactly what you want.

necoo wrote:
    quit your winning. no matter what you say and no matter what you do this game will always have open world pvp. and just look around a bit... the majority of the guilds are crafting guilds. they are not scared of open world pvp. quite frankly i think it is more realistic to have open world pvp vs anything else... and yes i mean anything else. for example in the real world if you want to kill someone go right ahead... nothing can stop you, granted you will have to deal with the consequences after wards but nothing will stop you from taking such actions.
    Lemme guess, your another Dev in disguise.

You think this games current incarantation can work, good for you,I don't.

Matter of opinion.

Kunra wrote:
    necoo wrote:

Matter of opinion.
    it matters not, your opinion. once the game mechanics have been set then they are set, you can not change them... this is because the game mechanics are the base upon which a game is built upon. for example if you build a tower then destroyed its base then the tower would also fall, in the same sense if you remove a portion of the game mechanics for example the pvp aspect of the game, then much of the game will also crash and burn... and the remaining game will be but a fragment of what it was. if you remove open pvp much of the worlds systems would fall apart and be force to also be removed. for example no more tribal wars, no more evil alignment and without evil there is no good so all in all alignment would be destroyed, and even tribal relations would be worthless. what you want would destroyed the game you first fell for.

oh and im no dev... just a random person

necoo wrote:
    Kunra wrote:
    necoo wrote:

Matter of opinion.
    it matters not, your opinion. once the game mechanics have been set then they are set, you can not change them... this is because the game mechanics are the base upon which a game is built upon. for example if you build a tower then destroyed its base then the tower would also fall, in the same sense if you remove a portion of the game mechanics for example the pvp aspect of the game, then much of the game will also crash and burn... and the remaining game will be but a fragment of what it was. if you remove open pvp much of the worlds systems would fall apart and be force to also be removed. for example no more tribal wars, no more evil alignment and without evil there is no good so all in all alignment would be destroyed, and even tribal relations would be worthless. what you want would destroyed the game you first fell for.

oh and im no dev... just a random person
    Agreed, and if you want an example of this, SWG

Farmerbob wrote:However, that game isn't around any more
    It's around. I've been playing the emu for a month or so. It's SWG up to patch 14...? When it was good.

Last time I logged in, there were 50+ people in Coronet alone. Once it releases for host-use, I can see it doing very well if the hosts are fair and legit.

I see this game being friendly to crafters because everything you use will be crafted and will need to be replaced eventually. If someone comes in the game and just starts ganking crafters, where is that person gonna buy their next set of equipment? People will talk and just not sell him stuff. Then 3 months down the line his worn out axe won't do anything to a finely crafted sword and armor set.

This game seems to be all about the group effort and the best tribes will have to keep the gatherers/crafters supported.

Actions of the individual are tracked with consequences. These have not been clearly defined but it sounds as if the devs will make adjustments if necessary to prevent this game from being a mindless gankfest. However tribes will go to war with eachother which means crafters will be casualties. Its like bombing an enemy railroad to prevent supplies getting to the front line fighters.

Kunra is my idol now. He give them 2 sentence replyes and they feed him walls. :laugh: