Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Feedback Request 05/14/2013 - Creatures

Please provide any feedback regarding the current state of creatures right now.

Please give feedback specifying groups of creatures (small, medium, large) or individual creatures and consider the age and power range of creatures.

In particular I would like to get a feel from players regarding:

Speed: Are creatures too fast or too slow?
    Behavior: Are creatures too aggressive or too passive?
    HP: Do creatures have too much or too little health?
    Power: Are creatures too strong or too weak? Do they hit too hard?

In general I have a good idea of what needs to be adjusted. However, I am asking for additional feedback to confirm and make sure I'm not missing anything.

I will post a new thread after adjustments have been made.

Thanks

Way to slow.
    I liked it before that they could gain HP from being in combat (not just killing people) and over time, and killing people.

Most are too fast.
    Small animals are very fast and mostly for new players which are slow. I think in real life they should be fast, but this isnt real life. New players need something to be able to kill and not run away all the time.
    Larger animals also have aggro issues. They will randomly break off some players to attack someone. This would be fine if there were ways to defend yourself or ranged attacks.

Most animals are pretty good for aggression I believe.
    They seem to run away to much though, I think many of them wont fight and just run away. I like the older way where they ran away once they got to like 20%. I think some animals should run away, but being they are to fast.

I think the HP of large animals are fine, small animals need to have MUCH less. Rabbits shouldnt have more HP than starting players. 5 to 30HP for a rabbit is fine.
    Biggest issue is the lack of ways to heal in combat, or gain energy back in combat. Animals (and Revs) heal very rapid while out of combat. Faster than most players. Having a way to bandage or heal in combat would help this. Without that, I would say their HP is too high.

I think small animals hit a bit to hard. I've seen rabbits hitting rapidly for 5 dmg per attack. Rabbits are a starting animal and a new player with 30 to 50HP would die in seconds, before even learning how to swing the weapon.
    Biggest issue power is the lack of ways to heal in combat, or gain energy back in combat. Animals (and Revs) can hit very hard, 60+ to armor targets. Harder than most players. Having a way to bandage or heal in combat would help this. Without that, I would say their power is to much, giving them more HP and a LOT less damage could balance this.

I haven't hit an animal yet. I've only seen dogs, cats, and one mule deer. I've been playing for about a week, and have been in several places. I rerolled to check out different landing spots, zones and builds for the first few days. I came here bored to tears with endless kill, maim, torture role play and pvp games, so I'm happy. I can't wait till I can tame a pack of dogs and say, "Sick 'em!" rofl

I 100% agree with DDT. Also I haven't seen much more animals. I also think that like revs should should be different levels of animals mainly for the larger animals. For example have the harder best deer and bears in high danger then some alright ones in medium but I do not think they should be in low areas

Very much agree with DDT's response here especially in regards to the lack of healing and energy regen at present to be taken into consideration here. I'll give my own feedback as well on this essential topic.

Too slow. But, I like being able to find groups of animals with different hp's. So, perhaps a varying rate might work? With 115 hp I cannot take an adult deer or bear so if I'm hunting solo I should, without too much difficulty, be able to find an adolescent deer that I can take. A range of different hp animals will allow all skill level and number of players to hunt the staple creatures (Deer, Bear, and Coyotes) and have a degree of success.

In general too fast. Definitely agree that small animals are too fast. Larger animals just a tad. Hunting a small mule deer this past week with a full set of bone armor and the spoils from one other kill on me the deer was almost outrunning me (100 run). After sprinting to catch it with a first hit and fighting it until it decided to run I have only a few swings before I'm out of energy and it gets away.

For the most part aggression seems ok. It varies per creature and that’s a nice touch. The marmots and pine martins are the kings of small animal attitude.

I agree that some of the smallest animals have too many hps. I'd like to see hps shaved off the two extremes smallest and largest leaving midpoint alone but that's speaking as a solo and small group player.

Agree small animals can hit a bit hard especially mutant small animals. Yes they are mutant so they are tougher but some mutant squirrels seem to hit like adult bears and have a crazy range on them for being so small.

*Also agree all animals heal too fast. On the larger and mutant animals this is extremely frustrating and offten times makes them unkillable.*

Looking forward to finding sufficient populations of larger animals down south before too long. Thanks for the attention on the animal issues!
    Last edited by wastelandstoic; 05-14-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: addition

Also you should put more animals in the 861 area you should also fix the fact that animal and revs can speed up a steep hill you can't even walk over
    Last edited by darkskil; 05-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.

I think animals are too fast. Especially for new players. Even when the creature has an empty energy bar it's still too fast.

I also think animals should be limited the way players are limited and should not be able to sprint up 90 degree slopes at all, let alone doing it at 50 miles an hour. Just my 2 cents.

Ah, yes, while animals should navigate terrain better than people a sheer cliff is a sheer cliff. It should be impassable to both.

Quote Originally Posted by jwjohnson1978 View Post
    I think animals are too fast. Especially for new players. Even when the creature has an empty energy bar it's still too fast.

I also think animals should be limited the way players are limited and should not be able to sprint up 90 degree slopes at all, let alone doing it at 50 miles an hour. Just my 2 cents.
    I think allowing players to have a "climb" option which uses up 3x more energy than normal to go up would fix this. This would also fix a lot of stuck issues.

Another thing is that if animals were to have energy that stopped them from sprinting all the time and running hills would fix some of those issues.

Everything DDT said is exactly how I feel about animals.

I think there should be a smooth learning curve from newbs to vets most importantly.

Easy:
    hamsters, rabbits, squirrels, chickens and cats

Medium:
    pine martins, marmots and dogs

Hard:
    mutant critters, raccoons and coyotes

Very hard:
    mutant raccoons/coyotes, mule deers and bears

Extreme:
    mutant mule deer and bears

Something like that would make a lot more sense and stop the 'lolol i waz killd by hamster wtf'.