Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:Tribal Territory Size Answer

Both Farmerbob's formula and pid73's formulas are correct (you beat me too it!).

This produces the following results:

10 player tribe = 7,850 square meter area (100 meter diameter)
    20 player tribe = 17,662 square meter area (150 meter diameter)
    30 player tribe = 31,400 square meter area (200 meter diameter)
    40 player tribe = 49,062 square meter area (250 meter diameter)
    50 player tribe = 70,650 square meter area (300 meter diameter)

This scheme for tribal areas encourages tribes to have only one identity instead of breaking up into sub-tribes with each having their own area because a 20 player tribe will have more area then two 10 player tribes. This pattern continues no matter the number of players in a tribe.

Edited to say pid73's formula is correct and just a different version of Farmerbob's

I wonder if there is a limit for the population of tribes.

Alfred wrote:
    T = pi * (50 + 5 * n)^2 / 4
    It's actually: pi * (50 + 2,5 * n)^2 because an addition to the diameter is always half the addition to the radius. Since the equation for the area of a circle is pi*r^2, we are using the radius and the division by 4 is a mistake.

It still means that to dominate the world (120km^2) you will need about 760 people in the same tribe.
    Are you really sure about what you said?
    Why don't you open up Excel and run some numbers?

for example:
    20 members raise the diameter to 150m (100m + 50m). That's a radius of 75m, encircling an area of 17671 m^2.

That's exactly what I get with my formula.

Your formula for 20 members is wrong. I punch the number 20 into your formula and get:

pi * (50 + 2,5 * 20)^2

That is a radius of 100m, which means the diameter should be 200m. But 20 members do not give you a diameter of 200m, but 150m.

Oakstead wrote:
    Farmerbob's formula is correct (you beat me too it!).

This produces the following results:

10 player tribe = 7,850 square meter area (100 meter diameter)
    20 player tribe = 17,662 square meter area (150 meter diameter)
    30 player tribe = 31,400 square meter area (200 meter diameter)
    40 player tribe = 49,062 square meter area (250 meter diameter)
    50 player tribe = 70,650 square meter area (300 meter diameter)

This scheme for tribal areas encourages tribes to have only one identity instead of breaking up into sub-tribes with each having their own area because a 20 player tribe will have more area then two 10 player tribes. This pattern continues no matter the number of players in a tribe.
    Do you see any difference with my forumla?
    I don't. The numbers are the same.

I just take steps of 5 members while Farmerbob takes steps of 10 members.

Guys, you misunderstood me. Btw, your both talking about the same formula A=pi*D^2/4=pi*r^2.

What I meant was that each additional tribe member should add less and less to the diameter, diminishing returns.

You're right Pid73, your formula is correct as well. Sorry for not seeing that in my rush to get the data up.

Derek wrote:
    Guys, you misunderstood me. Btw, your both talking about the same formula A=pi*D^2/4=pi*r^2.

What I meant was that each additional tribe member should add less and less to the diameter, diminishing returns.
    Your heart is in the right place but:

Assume R = D/2

D^2/4 is not equivalent to R^2 over any range.

I think you meant A = pi*((D/2)^2) = pi*(R^2)

I did not look back to verify, I'm only going by what I see above.

Jadzia wrote:
    I wonder if there is a limit for the population of tribes.
    I strongly doubt that any tribe large enough to actually control a significant area on the server will be able to maintain cohesiveness. The biggest corporation in EVE that I can recall was EVE University, a training corp, and I do not believe their membership ever exceeded 2000 players, with an active playerbase of 200,000+ Alliances on the other hand got rather larger at times, but they are not single political units.

Sure Xsyon is not EVE, but they are both Sandbox, and share a lot of game dynamics, even if the background for said dynamics is drastically different.

Oakstead wrote:
    You're right Pid73, your formula is correct as well. Sorry for not seeing that in my rush to get the data up.
    Don't be sorry, maybe I sounded wrong in the previous post.
    I wanted to point it out but was by no means "offended"...
    I had to put this in that post: :silly:

Farmerbob wrote:
    Derek wrote:

Your heart is in the right place but:

Assume R = D/2

D^2/4 is not equivalent to R^2 over any range.

I think you meant A = pi*((D/2)^2) = pi*(R^2)

I did not look back to verify, I'm only going by what I see above.
    Ok, I don't mean to get into a pissing contest over something so trivial, but I use that formula every day at work (I'm a structural engineer). Your not reading it correctly A=pi*(D^2)/4=pi*r^2