Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Xyson business model

Xyson game developers, your business model is disgusting.Subscription?That's funny.I only know of one game that successfully pulled that off, WoW.All the rest fail.A one-time fee with no limitations is the ideal business model WE, as gamers, love.Please take this into account, as your business model now is making you lose players.Only a handful will actually pay a subscription.

odd, i thought we had a choice of paying a subscription or paying for time in advance. Has it changed? Or have i misread the whole thing?

So how exactly to you propose they make money? Cash shops don't work in these kind of games for a start! I have played many indie sandbox MMO's, all of which ask for a sub or have freemium options where all your skills are capped so you pay a sub anyway. There is a niche market of people who enjoy sandbox games and are willing to pay money to play them. The sub price was recently reduced and for the amount of time most of us sink into the game it seems good value. For the price of a large pizza and a beer you get access to a game for a month... seems fine to me. I do think they should drop the box price though or at least reduce it as this seems to be a barrier for entry for many players i have seen. What does everyone else think?

I do think the box price should be drop as well for entry players the subing part does drive away some players it has driven off many I know. I would like to see a cash shop for stat respects since I messed up mine when I just started and didn't know anything now I'm pretty much screwed for the rest of the game and maybe some name changes as well but I would hate to see the cash shop allow players to just buy everything to be the best. That's just me though

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Xyson game developers, your business model is disgusting.Subscription?That's funny.I only know of one game that successfully pulled that off, WoW.All the rest fail.A one-time fee with no limitations is the ideal business model WE, as gamers, love.Please take this into account, as your business model now is making you lose players.Only a handful will actually pay a subscription.
    Pay to play games; LOTR, Vanguard, DAOC, Final Fantasy, Warhammer, Ultima Online, EverQuest, Anarchy Online, DC Universe, WOW, Asheron's Call, PlanetSide, Wurm all $11.95 to $14.95

Xsyon = $9.95

I sense a young person with an entitlement syndrome. NOTHING is free EVER. Why would any business invest years of time and tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to give away their service for free? Item malls aren't Free! In the long run you pay more for games with item malls than with subscription based games or you are limited to the "Free" Version of the game (no shiny stuff). People are easily duped into believing they are getting a better deal, but to get everything out of the game that you would get with a subscription you end up paying twice as much or more. I don't play games with item malls and never will.

Bottom line is if you like the game don't you think it's fair you should pay for services rendered?
    Last edited by Willowhawk; 06-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.

I would say that the current payment system is very normal. Free to play with limits, pay to play for the goodies.
    One game that comes to mind is Star Wars TOR. Has the same system. As Willowhawk said there are many games out there doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by darkskil View Post
    I do think the box price should be drop as well for entry players the subing part does drive away some players it has driven off many I know. I would like to see a cash shop for stat respects since I messed up mine when I just started and didn't know anything now I'm pretty much screwed for the rest of the game and maybe some name changes as well but I would hate to see the cash shop allow players to just buy everything to be the best. That's just me though
    You get 4 stat resets, if you already used them, you can manually change any stats you want over time. I think a cash shop thing would do almost nothing for this game and its not really meant for that type of stuff. A cash shop would take longer to code than it would give in $ back. I would rather have them coding real features like ranged combat, contested hotzones, cooking, taming etc. Than working on a cash shop coding. Those things I listed would keep and bring way more people than a cash shop option.

To claim the model itself is disgusting is to take it a bit far. It is true that most games released today sooner, rather than later, changes model from a subscription based model to a free to play model. That doesnt make the model itself disgusting.

Many games offer free to play options, like Vanguard, Everquest2, Lotr and so on. But once you start playing them you soon upgrade your F2P account into a premium/gold/silver/whatever because thats where the perks are for the game.

There is one model I would call disgusting which is used by Atlantica Online (Nexon). Totally free game with an Item Shop. Contrary to many other games this shop sell items that really affect your progress/experience/stats. Not by selling the item straight off to you, oh no, they sell you a chance to acquire the item. I got friends who spend 100-300 dollars on this game - every month. That is pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzym View Post
    There is one model I would call disgusting which is used by Atlantica Online (Nexon). Totally free game with an Item Shop. Contrary to many other games this shop sell items that really affect your progress/experience/stats. Not by selling the item straight off to you, oh no, they sell you a chance to acquire the item. I got friends who spend 100-300 dollars on this game - every month. That is pretty disgusting if you ask me.
    I do have to say thats the worst.

My son plays Combat Arms from Nexon. Its horrid. The best items (items you can not buy in game in any way without paying $) which make you much more powerful are though a random rare chance at opening boxes. This is by far the worst way to do it in my opinion. I dont mind it taking a long time for me to get these items IN GAME, but making it so these can only be got with some random unknown amount of money. You could spend 1000$ and still not get the items you want/need.

I would rather have a subscriber option where I can work to get them and I know I will get them in a set amount of time / effort.

Plus because the game is 100% free its is chalk full of hackers. People that do not care whatsoever if they get banned.

Hay guys,
    im new to this game because i like this kind of survival and sandbox
    i started wandering around to find a good place where i can create my tribe and unfold my creativity.
    but then i got this message "you must be premium"
    it felt like a punch.
    i searched around on this fourm and found the free player restrictions.
    i can join a tribe but cant create one... hmm that sounds logical because its stupid when a new player claims land and after 2 days he stops playin.
    but there are many players who want to create a tribe because they want to have their own rules, ideas and dont want to be restricted by rules and orders from another tribe.
    it took me 1 hour to wander around and trying to join a tribe but no one wants a free player because i dont increase the size of the territory and im not reliable they said.
    so i decided to buy a premium account.
    its okay to pay 40$ but then i must pay 10$ every month? 150$ in the first year?
    thats way to expensive in my eyes...
    to pay 40$ or even 60$ for a game is no problem but a sub-system...
    that distracts many players.
    a free to play model in a sandbox game shouldnt restrict the freedom and independence of a player in such a great amount..
    there are so many other ways.
    - a free player can create a tribe but:
    *his claimed land is smaller
    *only a certain amount of players can join him
    * after 1 or 2 weeks of inactivity, his claimed land disappear

i want to play this game but without paying every month or being restricted by the game AND other player/tribes too
    even buy2play would be okay for me... 40-60€ which are ~52,50-78,80$.
    so i hope there would be a way to create a tribe without premium in near future.
    a change of the free player restrictions or a buy2play system without sub (maybe when xsyon is released on steam)
    Last edited by J3lackPhoenix; 06-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.

If you paid the 40$ then you get the first month free with no restrictions and you do not have to to have a sub to have or keep your totem.I have never heard of any tribe turn anyone away because they are free account ( not saying it dont happen ) but its allways been a non-factor in every case ive seen and not even asked if they was until after they joined.

I see nothing wrong with how Xsyon does things its pretty normal to me.But im a little older gamer and im used to paying for something I get or want.