finite resources? or?

So if resources are so finite, how exactly does having "protected" land (I.E. a tribe) helpful in that respect? I don't really understand why someone would plop down a totem anywhere, if some guy can just come along and gather all the grass or whatnot around you. Is their some sort of seed planting skill or something? I can't find anything in wiki about how to regrow grass, oh and I am pretty new as well. Did a search on this forum, can't find any answers I am looking for.

No you cant plant seeds of grass, but you can for tress.

Some resources are unlimited (like fish, water, rocks etc), also scavenging (not pulling) and foraging are unlimited.
    Some resources must be grown/spawned/breeding. Like animals and trees.

Some resources are finite but can be protected by a totem.
    Some resources are finite like grass/branches/twigs/seeds/leaves/junk that is pulled up and removed the game forever.

Yes people can pull/gather/get resources near your totem without permissions, however, anything on tribal lands is protected so only people that tribe allows (who are in the tribe) can gather/remove/pull/get those resources.

hmm...interesting...I am imagining a group of 30 or 40 people going to the starting areas or other "Safe" areas, pulling out all the resources and basically making it harder for new players like myself to build up any sort of skill set in either basketry or w/e other skill. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but given the track record of internet ridiculousness it probably will happen. I know that MMO's are not meant to be "solo", but then again that would actually make more sense if finite resources were able to be regrown.

I digress, no really I do. I understand the reason behind it all, I am mostly just being a sort of "Devils Advocate". Seeing as many others might find it frustrating living out their engineer dreams, by just crafting and crafting some more (which is the biggest appeal of this game to me).

You can make a "safe" area, anywhere you drop your totem. So not sure what you mean. If you are talking about founder's isle safe area, there isnt much there anyways.

In this game you can easy solo once you understand how to play the game. Hardest part is getting a good set of starting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorias View Post
    So if resources are so finite, how exactly does having "protected" land (I.E. a tribe) helpful in that respect? I don't really understand why someone would plop down a totem anywhere, if some guy can just come along and gather all the grass or whatnot around you. Is their some sort of seed planting skill or something? I can't find anything in wiki about how to regrow grass, oh and I am pretty new as well. Did a search on this forum, can't find any answers I am looking for.
    Hi Jorias,

The totem allows you to build a home or a city, to protect your belongings and it provides a safe haven away from pvp.

The lack of ability to plant grass has been a contention with a lot of people, however the game is still in Prelude so I imagine it is only a matter of time before we get "Agriculture" and therefore able to plant things other than trees.

In the mean time there are things you can do to help preserve the grass and Scrap resources in and around your area. As DDT said "Scavenge" for your scrap needs using the scavenge button rather than pulling from your resource window will guarantee an indefinite supply of scraps for the future and by using the scavenge function you will also find rare items like "Blueprints" and "Cash" that you cannot find by pulling resources.

Grass, seeds, branches etc. are a bit tougher however, Raven Moon has been pulling grass, seeds and branches in and around our tribe for two years and we have managed to preserve most of the area quite well. If interested in how, here is a link with our descriptions on how to preserves these resources.

Hi, i am a new player and the fact that grass does not grow back in game like it does in nature bothers me a bit and it is hard for me to understand what reasoning may be behind the fact (developers choice or coding complexity).

As i mentioned in a different thread the first impression i get from exploring around the lake is of extensive brown patched areas that look like nuclear fallout. I hope this is being looked into.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Apalaxe View Post
    Hi, i am a new player and the fact that grass does not grow back in game like it does in nature bothers me a bit and it is hard for me to understand what reasoning may be behind the fact (developers choice or coding complexity).

As i mentioned in a different thread the first impression i get from exploring around the lake is of extensive brown patched areas that look like nuclear fallout. I hope this is being looked into.

Cheers
    It is for sure being looked at and worked on.

Current Round

Artisan and Master weapons
    Weapon bonuses revised
    Tribe resource upkeep and bonuses
    Scavenged resource redistribution
    Additional tools required for gathering actions
    Creature redistribution and improved system
    Female armor sets
    Terrain reversion on public land
    Decay on public lands
    Quest totems revised
    Agriculture
    Cooking skill
    Healing skill

This round will be released as a series of patches.
    Source:http://www.xsyon.com/content.php/69-...12-development

To address your concern with depleting resources surrounding your tribe. 1. That's close to griefing but is allowed by game mechanics. 2. They'll never get all the resourcesin the world. 3. Worst case, pick up and move. 4. Most of us just wouldn't do that. (:

Willowhhawk, that link needs to be in the forums and in every noob thread. Good job you guys.