Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:NPC clarification question

at this point in game I like the barter system =). It also makes this game unique

I would have to agree that any form of currencyin Xsyon would be seemingly useless.

The idea of modern day currency is that each note (coin,bill,check, etc,) represents something of value. If there was nothing left in the world, then the currency would be worthless.

For instance let's take the Dollar, one of the major reasons it's worth anything at all is because of gold buillion located in places like fort knox. And each bill basically represents a portion of that gold. The bill itself is worth less than regular paper, but what it represents is what makes it valuable.

The Templars were among the first to use notes, or bills as currency, travelers would turn in their gold before going to jerusalem so they were less likely to be robbed, and they would receive a piece of paper that represents the amount of gold they deposited and could be used as currency or turned in to a Templar "Bank" to retrieve their gold.

I could see an enterprising tribe developing a currency based on a stockpile of goods they maintain, but without npc's any form of developer introduced currency is pointless.

I dont agree with u. For example what if I want to sell a stock pile of wood? So how would I do that then??? :unsure: If there is no form of money then how can we buy/sell etc... So my idea was this: A union of (10 or X) tribes or more, can create their own bank system with a stockpile. So they can buy commodity from players and give them some kind of money for that item. So the price can fluctuate, hense a stock market created I'm saying that a single tribe cant do that, only if u got 10 or more tribes in a union.

Unfortunately, the modern US Dollar does not derive it's value from gold held by the US government.

Before the invention of currency, people would simply trade for something they needed with something they had extra. So a fisherman may trade their fish for cloths. Depending on how much fish the tailor wanted in exchange for say one coat, it would be the cost of the coat. However, the tailor does not need anymore baskets, so if you were a weaver you may find much more expensive to get yourself a new coat.

Currency could arguably used to solve this dilemma in trading, since one common system of demand emerged.
    Precious metals therefore arose to fill this need. For a good portion of human history, the weight of the metal was a direct equivalence of what is was worth. Various times however throughout history, it stood to stand for something more than the value of the metal it was made from. However, at some point the demand of the metal causes the metal to be worth more than the value it stood for, suddenly the currency is worthless, your better off melting it down.

Suddenly, the appearance of fiat currency emerged. Currency that was not based on anything. However, currency is still subject to the same rules of supply and demand as any other item for sale. The more money there is in a system, the less it is worth. As long as the amount of goods on the market is constant and the pool of money is constant, then prices in theory should not fluctuate that much.

Diocletian wrote:
    Unfortunately, the modern US Dollar does not derive it's value from gold held by the US government.

Before the invention of currency, people would simply trade for something they needed with something they had extra. So a fisherman may trade their fish for cloths. Depending on how much fish the tailor wanted in exchange for say one coat, it would be the cost of the coat. However, the tailor does not need anymore baskets, so if you were a weaver you may find much more expensive to get yourself a new coat.

Currency could arguably used to solve this dilemma in trading, since one common system of demand emerged.
    Precious metals therefore arose to fill this need. For a good portion of human history, the weight of the metal was a direct equivalence of what is was worth. Various times however throughout history, it stood to stand for something more than the value of the metal it was made from. However, at some point the demand of the metal causes the metal to be worth more than the value it stood for, suddenly the currency is worthless, your better off melting it down.

Suddenly, the appearance of fiat currency emerged. Currency that was not based on anything. However, currency is still subject to the same rules of supply and demand as any other item for sale. The more money there is in a system, the less it is worth. As long as the amount of goods on the market is constant and the pool of money is constant, then prices in theory should not fluctuate that much.
    THANK YOU !!! :cheer:

So my point is this. Later on, there should be some sort of currency. But the value and standard of currency should be made by players. Thats what I think..

Shrimps wrote:
    The idea of modern day currency is that each note (coin,bill,check, etc,) represents something of value. If there was nothing left in the world, then the currency would be worthless.
    Nice that you say that, because in many countries it is exactly that way, but in the USA it is not. USD are legal tender, which means there are laws governing the value, and there is no actual material value. When the Federal Reserve retired all gold from the US (with the emanation of a law, I don't remember the year, around 1920 or so) it was all stashed into Fort Knox. But the value of the USD has been bound to the petrodollar (value of mineral oil on international stock markets), not to the value of gold... so, in the end, the USD in your pocket really just "legal tender".

But I've already created a currency... golf clubs! And that is all I am planning on accepting for the time being

Veldern wrote:
    But I've already created a currency... golf clubs! And that is all I am planning on accepting for the time being
    Is there only one golf club or have you found different sizes?

I hope you can find a whole set and that eventually you can build golf courses on your tribal land. The stress of surviving an apocalypse is much easier to deal with when you can relax with a round of golf every weekend. Although golf can be pretty damn aggravating...

I believe there is only one type, but to be honest I am very poor for the time being... :laugh:

Veldern wrote:
    maybe something like this would do (just guessing):
    - necessary to craft broadly used items or, better, consumables;
    - rare to find/prepare;
    - stackable in inventory;
    - cannot be "freely" found (not a collectable resource, but a scavangable item might work).