Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NPC clarification question

I read that a Dev said there are no NPC's ingame. Does this mean no NPC's to buy and sell stuff to or just no NPC's in the wild to kill?

Also, maybe I missed reading about it, what form of "currency" does this game have?

Re: NPC clarification question

I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Relandi wrote:
    I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?

Kunra wrote:
    Relandi wrote:

obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.

Kunra wrote:
    Correct, it is, as Lake Tahoe is in California, west coast of USA.

With the fact there are no NPC's to buy/sell from, there is no need for a common currency to be imposed by the developers. The USD might be in-game, but as I said, it might not even be used for anything more than decoration.

necoo wrote:
    obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.
    obviously not obvious else he wouldn't of asked. If you don't have anything nice to say...

necoo wrote:
    Kunra wrote:
    Relandi wrote:

Terminology changes from game to game, but idiots dont and you have proven yourself to be one of those.

Given the game background and setting I think beads or pebbles is a much more obvious form of currency. Especially when the developers want to expand the game into different regions using USD as a common currency would be much less obvious.

Question remains, do we need a developer based currency. I agree with Relandi on this. Because there are no NPC traders there is no need for game set prices and therefore a game set currency is not necessary. Most trade will start out as barter.

Of course when the community evolves and tribes and players start to specialize I expect some form of currency will develop naturally.

I read somewhere that everyone will start with $500 but I can't remember where so don't quote me on this.

I would actually prefer there was no set currency but it gets created at a tribal level and distributed through tribal quests at a very slow rate. It would be interesting to see how the economics of different tribes with different currencies develops.

I vote bottle caps. Tho I've always been thinking in terms of barter system. If only for the way I'll be funding my endeavors.
    Trading what I gather/craft for items I need myself. And round and round we go.