Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm finding lots of patterns/blueprints on my tribes land now. Not sure if that is intended.

The biggest problem I see with rares is utility. Your odds for finding rares are about 1 in 6000 actions in an extreme zone with max skill and unknown stats. But of those results, how many were actually useful? Right now only armor gets bonuses, but even if weapons and tools get bonuses at some point, the majority of rare finds will be studs/boards/poles/etc. I doubt that buildings will ever give bonuses, and even if they do no one will be able to find enough studs and boards and shlep them back home from an extreme danger zone to build a gold dome over their junk pile.

What are the chanced for a rare in low, medium and high danger zones?

I do like the chances on finding quality above and below my modified skill. Gives a chance of a nice reward (the occasional supreme) that keeps me scavenging.

Xsyon Citizen
    Items with materials
    91.01% common
    8.14% uncommon
    0.78% rare
    0.07% epic

0.07% means so about 7 out of 16,666 scavs (with materials = 60% of the scavs)... right ?
    Meaning that if 1 scav takes in average 20 seconds (scavenging, moving to a new spot, from time to time drop stuff in a basket/cart) - probably more time - as most people seem to get 100 scavs in about 30 minutes (18 sec per scav).

Translated in time - 7 out of 16,666 = 1 out of 2,400 scavs = 1 epic roughly every 13 hours of continues scavenging.
    Seem very very epic ... if that is what you are aiming at it seems ok.

With skill 100 I have a about double chance to find epics (so roughly every 7 hours) but common/uncommon are practically the same.

This seems (please note that you probably need to find a lot of them to build 1 epic armor) quite awful - expecting that I will find "epic" stuff for architecture and weaponry as well.
    ----
    Skill 100 example - skill 0 would mean roughly doubled:
    So if a rough estimate is that there about 3% of amour relevant parts (97% are the other epic stuff I dont need for my armor) - and that I need about 60 of them (very rough estimate) - so every 30th epic find will be something I can use (every 210 hours of scaving) * 60 = 525 (full play days = 24 hours of playing) of continues scavening to find 60 epic parts for an armor equals 2,268,000 (2.3 mio) scav actions.

Seems a quite harsh.

I just wonder that the skill has so less effect on the distribution of the common/uncommon/rare/epic distribution.
    I would like to see (with skill 100):
    91.16% common => 60% common
    7.82% uncommon => 30% uncommon
    0.86% rare => 8% rare
    0.17% epic => 2% epic

This would mean that 525 days are reduced to 52.5 days (10 times the finding rate) - 24 hours scavening - is probably 1 year of playing for people that have a lot of time...

Still 2% epic means that epics will be quite epic (even for skill 100) - I think there is not such a big need for epic architecture stuff - and there are quite a lot of those items.

Please also note that (as I have charm 3.2) I do not find any Master (QL > 90) parts with scavening so my epic parts will be quite useless anyhow. But I would find from time to time something really valueable with skill 100.

Just a suggestion !!!
    Last edited by tomduril; 08-29-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: , = . for thousand separator

Tomduril, I know you are from the EU, but I would help to help you a bit and make it clear to people that when you say something like 16.666 that is 16,666 in US English.

What was really confusing is you would use 3.2 for your stats, but use a . for your thousand marker also =P

Anyways, I just wanted to clear that up for people and maybe you could edit your post to change all your thousand markers to either a " , " or remove the . and have it bunched up.

I agree mostly with your post, but for me its like beating a dead horse. I've said it at least 3 times now. So clearly this is how Xsyon wants it.

Hi,

Thanks Tomduril for doing the math for us. I suspected as much already though that the odds were close to winning the lottery.

I don't think we are "beating a dead horse here" as per MrDDT's comment, as this is a players feedback thread, started by Xsyon himself.

I hope that the players input help Xsyon realize that these or other changes may affect the game's playability, data is fine and all but in the end the reason why new players will want to stay or veterans not leave will amount to their level of satisfaction in different aspects of the game.

I am looking for specific feedback on what percentages you players would like to see.

If you can please provide percentages you would like to see in the following format, it will help me a lot.

What type of percentages would you like to see?

Medium danger zone, player with max skill:

Items with materials
    % common
    % uncommon
    % rare
    % epic

Extreme danger zone, player with max skill:

Items with materials
    % common
    % uncommon
    % rare
    % epic

What type of percentage differences would you like to see between 0 and max skill?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the feedback so far.

Medium danger zone, player with max skill:
    Items with materials
    82.5% common
    10% uncommon
    5% rare
    2.5% epic

Extreme danger zone, player with max skill:
    Items with materials
    45% common
    30% uncommon
    15% rare
    10% epic

What this does is creates a reason to goto extreme areas, also there is limited scav piles in these areas. Less area to find good things, along with risk, along with time scavenging without being attacked by animals/revs/players.
    You will notice that in extreme areas at max skill I have it so that you are more likely to find a bonus than a common. (45% to find a common and 55% to find better)
    It's hard to lug stuff around, and fend off animals, or finding a pile out in these areas.

What type of percentage differences would you like to see between 0 and max skill?
    Max skill = 2x better chance to find higher tier than 5 skill (There is no 0 skill)

So 5 skill would be.
    Medium danger zone, player with 5 skill:
    Items with materials
    91.25% common
    10% uncommon x.5 = 5%
    5% rare x.5 = 2.5%
    2.5% epic x.5 = 1.25%

Extreme danger zone, player with 5 skill:
    Items with materials
    72.5% common
    30% uncommon x.5 = 15%
    15% rare x.5 = 7.5%
    10% epic x.5 = 5%

This bonus might not seem big, however, most of the skill bonus or I should say worth is from getting higher QL items and less failures. Getting a 5 QL Epic isnt going to do much. So let the lower skills have a good chance or close to a good chance as high skill as getting an EPIC, it makes scav a lot more fun.

You will also notice that Medium areas I have vs Extreme areas at 1/4th the chance of finding an epic. I would set it so that High is 1/2 Extreme and Low is 1/2 Medium. You can also notice that EPIC took the biggest hit on factor here.

Anyways I think starting here, then tweaking would be best.
    More feedback, on overall whats happening on live. I like how recipes are more rare and put into a zone more. However, I think now that you only get about 1 of 10 or so recipes per "area" or "region" its still to high chance of getting recipes. Example. I found the same recipe the other day in about 1 hour of scavenging 7 or 8 times.

Another thing to note.
    Even at the best skill best area (extreme) using my %'s you have a 10% chance to find an epic. That 10% chance is really much more like 6% chance. Because only 60% of the items you find can be epic. And of those items that can be epic only about 10% to 30% are useful. So you really only have about 0.6% - 1.8% chance of getting an epic that is useful at max skill in an extreme area.
    Which means about 1 in 100 scavenging you will find a useful epic. Or about 1 every 15 to 20mins of scavenging non stop.
    Last edited by MrDDT; 08-29-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I've read MrDDT's suggestions through, and I would like the same percentages as he suggested.

Xsyon Citizen
    I also agree - probably still has to be tweaked, but basically the suggested values:
    -) strengthen the value of extrem danger areas
    -) noticible difference between low and extrem areas
    -) noticible difference between skill 5 and skill 100

Probably a low skill in scavenging will allow players to find a lot of cloth of the same material (good for building tents etc.) - make it easier for them to build their first tent or armor, as they do not get swamped with 1000 different variations of materials
    A high skill would show more diversity in materials - but also more rare materials needed for armor and such.

I support the values of MrDDT!
    Last edited by tomduril; 08-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.

I was trying to find the time to come up with some max and min skill percentages that seemed reasonable and provided good risk vs reward between low and extreme danger areas. On reading DDT's values and his reasoning supporting them I don't think I find anything to disagree with. Why not configure test with these percentages and let all who care to have a go at it with one question to be answered --Do you think this configuration is fair and balanced with correct risk vs rewards for ALL skill level of players? Yes or No.

As always, thanks for all your hard work!

As an addition to MrDDT's suggestion I would like to see how primary and secondary stats affect the chance to find something. I just made these tables up as a suggestion.

I would like to see the chance to find something affected by 4 variables: zone, skill, primary stat and secondary stat. The contribution to the chance would be distributed as follows:
    zone - 20%
    skill - 50%
    primary 20%
    secondary 10%

Next thing is to determine min/max chance to find epic, rare, uncommon and common loot. I made up the following table for that:

Rarity Worst Best
    Epic 0 5
    Rare 1 7,5
    Uncommon 5 20
    Common 15 65

What this means is that a character with the worst possible setup to scavenge (5 skill, 5 pstat, 5sstat) would have a close to 0% chance to find epic loot in a low danger zone. In fact he/she would have only a 21% chance to find anything at all. On the other hand, why bother scavenging when half-blind and when you can't see the difference between gold and a bucket of piss?

A skilled player with the best possible stats (don't really know the stat maximums) would have a 5% chance to find an epic item in an extreme zone. He finds at least something, anywhere, 97,5% of the time.

Converting to math is pretty simple in order to setup a temporary loot table for each character.

Chance to find Epic Item: (zone/4) + 2,5*(skill/100) + pstat/statmax + sstat/(2*statmax)
    zone is ranging from 4 (extreme) to 0 (low) in this example
    then do the calcs for rare, uncommon and common and you got a loot table

For more fun, insert a random factor to simulate luck

PS Yes, I'm aware of that there is a flaw in the model itself - but it works as a draft.
    Last edited by Azzym; 08-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.