Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feedback Request - Farming (Test Server)

Farming is ready for testing on the Test Server!

Here is a basic rundown of the system
    - Farming skill added to the character's skill and action lists.
    - Farming action opens a farming panel, with one action, plowing.
    - Plowing prepares a tile of terrain for planting seeds.
    - New crop plants can be found through foraging. (Currently you can forage anywhere and find random crop plants in order to facilitate testing).
    - Extract seeds from plants. Right click for the menu. Extract one or extract all.
    - Plant seeds on plowed terrain. Right click seeds to plant.

Plants have 6 gauges
    Sun Level - Currently this is constant.
    Water Level - Decreases every update. Increases through watering.
    Weeds Level - Weeds have a chance of growing or increasing every update. Cleared by tending.
    Pest Level - Pests have a chance of appearing or increasing every update. Cleared by tending.
    Fertilizer Level - Decreases every update. Increased through adding fertilizer (currently guts).
    Growth Level - Increases every update based sun, water, fertilizer and tending levels.

Right click a plant to perform the following actions
    Water Plant- Requires a full water skin in your packs. Fills the water level of the plant.
    Clear Weeds - Clears weeds from the plant.
    Clear Pests - Clears pests from the plant.
    Fertilize - Increases the fertilizer level of the plant. Requires animal guts in your packs.
    Harvest - Available only when the plant is ready. Only the farmer (owner) can harvest the plant.
    Destroy - Available only for the owner or for any tribe member if the plant is dead.

Tending your plants
    - Immediately water your plant. You will need a full water skin in your packs.
    - Plants update once every game day.
    - Check your plant once per real day (or as you desire) to ensure the plant is well tended.
    - Plants that lack water or tending will wilt and eventually die from neglect.
    - Plants reaching maximum age will die. Days left in the plant's life cycle show in the plant's info display.
    - Plants can be harvested when they reach 75% growth.
    - Plants yield more produce as they continue to grow (up to 100%).

Well tended plants grow faster. The goal is to tend your plants well so that they can reach maximum growth (100%) before they reach maximum age.

Notes
    - For testing purposes currently plants update quickly, once per game hour instead of game day. Plants can reach full maturity in roughly one real hour.
    - With your Farming panel open all nearby plants will display their information.

Additional Changes
    - Terraforming level up and level down commands added to better control leveling terrain.
    -- Level Up brings all corners of a tile up to the highest point of the tile.
    -- Level Down brings all corners of a tile down to the lowest point of the tile.
    - Hunting and crafting quests properly require questor to personally hunt or craft the quest item.
    - Trade totems show details for allied trade items when selected.
    - Revenant respawn blocked by 100 meters reserved land around active totems..
    - Blocked adding materials from cart slots directly to the craft panel (to prevent bugs).
    - Upkeep bonuses display as buffs with tool tips.

Under consideration
    - Tools required for all farming actions.
    - Performing actions (water, tend, fertilize) on all nearby plants (range determined by skill).

Please post any bugs, problems or general feedback on the system. Thanks!
    Last edited by Xsyon; 10-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.

i downloaded the game today and when i try entering the world it freezzes on the loading screen, whats happening?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XsyonTest.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	1,005.2 KB 
ID:	402Test server is messed up Xsyon, you load into it and it looks like the matrix.
    Last edited by MrDDT; 10-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Test was working fine for about 5mins. Looks like it crashed or you took it down.

The Test Server is restarting now. I had to make some minor changes.

Xsyon Citizen
    Wow - that matrix style looks soooo cool

Right clicking on a planted crop gives the "Plant" option. Using that plant option it will remove the plant, only works while standing on a clear farming tile.

Currently it says it's winter in game and it should be spring not sure if this is related or how it effects crops.

None of the old foraged items are good for anything. Are these going to be used at all later for like making potions or healing herbs or something?

While standing on a farming tile the resources window had a blank picture in it. I clicked it and it gave me something that was blank in my inventory. Unable to reproduce it. (It had to use foraging skill because it came out 99QL)

Few times I've planted and it didn't say fail, used the seed, said I planted it, but no crop was on the ground, and now I can't plant anything on that tile.

Unable to harvest at 75% (It was almost 100% and still not able to harvest).

Not sure how to change the sunlight, is this a seasonal thing?

I love the icons. I love farming so far. I wish this is what you would have done to forestry making it a true trade skill.

None of the old foraged items are good for anything. Are these going to be used at all later for like making potions or healing herbs or something?
    They will be either used in cooking or healing. Eventually they will all be available as crops (once we can make models and textures for them).

The Test Server is back up with some minor fixes:

- The 'Plant' option should no longer appear on plants in the world. It should only appear on seeds in your pack.
    - Season should display correctly on the client side.
    - The blank resources that were available at times from plowed land tiles have been removed. (This was left over from the first implementation of farming earlier this year).
    - 'Harvest' should be available at 75% growth and beyond.
    - 'Destroy' should be available on plants you planted and any dead plants.

Notes:
    Still trying to reproduce planting that appears to succeed but doesn't display a plant. Did this happen with a particular plant type? If this happens again, please post your location and plant type.

Sunlight is currently constant. It will be set up as seasonal and I want to set it up so that buildings (roofs) over crops can provide shade.

Ok lets see if we can break some more stuff!

The seeds were all of 1 type, but I was able to plant some of that type. I will check again.