Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pve server

I agree with Kegan. The new server should be pristine so that players get to start fresh making and doing all the things that make for a great experience in Xsyon. If everything is identical, it is no different than just flipping a switch and turning off PVP. That's not really a launch in my opinion. I don't mean to be critical, but that is a pretty lazy and lame way to launch a new server.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesgood View Post
    I agree with Kegan. The new server should be pristine so that players get to start fresh making and doing all the things that make for a great experience in Xsyon. If everything is identical, it is no different than just flipping a switch and turning off PVP. That's not really a launch in my opinion. I don't mean to be critical, but that is a pretty lazy and lame way to launch a new server.
    Although I'd prefer a fresh new PvE server too, I can understand why Xsyon decided to copy the current server. He wants to give the opportunity to the current players to choose the PvE server too, and there are people who have been playing for years, have good skills and stats and have built great structures. These players probably wouldn't want to give up everything, so they would be forced to stay on the old server.

I see your point and it is valid. However, I think there is actually great incentives for high-skilled players to start over. Starting over means you can decide to choose another location on the map based on the acquired knowledge from playing. Also, starting over allows you to focus on different skills and to remedy the many decisions made originally. I think more would be willing to start over given that the journey is more fun than the end game.

Well to be fair they just want to keep there over stuffed tribes with players that have not been on in years. Well at least that is how it use to work but maybe they have fixed that. If a player is not active and paid subscription it should not count to the tribe size. But either way they said they were going to add in a feature where land reverted back to the pristine state over time lets just hope they get that done soon and maybe make it a new option for terraforming to put back as original.

I am pretty sure free players no longer contribute to tribe size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Although I'd prefer a fresh new PvE server too, I can understand why Xsyon decided to copy the current server. He wants to give the opportunity to the current players to choose the PvE server too, and there are people who have been playing for years, have good skills and stats and have built great structures. These players probably wouldn't want to give up everything, so they would be forced to stay on the old server.
    I have to agree with Jadzia. Xsyon is the most challenging building and crafting game I have ever played. We have played (and paid) diligently for 3 years to build what we now have and starting over has no appeal whatsoever.

If I remember correctly, the original concept of the game was to rebuild our civilization from the ruins. To evolve and grow, build cities and roads, bring back (learn) the old technologies we lost in our destruction. To build a world created by players, an ongoing evolution as new skills and new technologies come along (New features added) the world and we evolve.

Our home has grown into a city now, a safe welcome place in the extreme dangerous wilderness for any would be travelers, hunters or traders with roads that others can build on or continue on to other destination around the know world. Whether you start from scratch or as things are now, the world of Xsyon is still in it's infancy and there are Farms, villages, towns, cities, roads, Bridges and homes to build as well as the vast unexplored world shrouded in green mist waiting to open up when the population merits.

That is why I stayed for three years, and that is why starting over has no appeal to me.

Well spoken Willowhawk! Having tasted fresh, clean maps over on Wurm (also extremely deep crafting and skill progression) I know the excitement they bring, especially to new players but perhaps less so for older, established players as yourself.

The new map thing that Wurm seems to do more than needed at times only lasts for a short period of time. After people start populating areas and tearing the terrain up you have the same thing as before and discussion on the forums about needing a new map, a fresh start. Rinse and repeat.

What Wurm has now is about 10 servers now? All splitting the population and they serve no purpose other than for those bored with the old landscape looking for that fresh start until they get bored with it again. It's a never ending thing over there and it's why Rolf opened so many servers. He gets a massive pop boost and then 3-4 months the pop dies back down to 1k active but now you have that spread over 10 or more servers. I think he would be better served to have 4-5 at best but it seems all the new ones are much much smaller too.

A new server, fresh clean start, is always nice to begin with but eventually you end up with the same talk and same thing some months down the road. Everyone wants a fresh new map and it continues over and over. I think I made a image once showing 100 servers on a cluster and each had maybe 10-20 people per map. It was a joke but not so much considering how many the game has now. I will only concede that it does bring in new people but those eventually go away and you're left with a resource hog that isn't needed and I also agree with willow.

Wait on terrain revision, Jordi has expressed that he wants to get this finished and on the servers. This will take care of that ugly landscape complaint and lack of nice areas to populate. It'll also be very neat to watch things revert and you'll experience something new with how things used to look before it got messed with.

Oh, so if I start playing on the new PVE server, I'm not on a brand new server, but a long established server already developed, with characters and tribes long established?

Well, I understand the reasoning, that the goal of the PVE server was more in hopes to bring back old players who quit, more than anything else. But,as a new player, I can certainly say that the interest I had when I heard there was a new PVE server really isn't there anymore. Well, best of luck, folks. Hopefully this will work out for the game. Never good to see a game die.

The PvE server was to give that option. A lot of players expressed leaving because there was no PvE server and they were essentially forced to venture out from their tribe which is no pvp and possibly be involved in the thing they didn't want to be a part of. There was also some online discussion on another site along with a poll that pointed towards players wanting a PvE option as well as Jordi speaking with people in the mmo market that expressed that PvE has a much larger player base than PvP will ever pull in or have.

Tribes will abandon on both servers as players stick to one or the other. With the coming addition of terrain reversion that will revert the landscape back to how it was when the map was first opened to players, this is something no other game that I can think of does. That should take care of people complaining about not having untouched land to settle.