Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Understood. I'm assuming that that is current on test but will be adjusted by patch release based on these comments:

"Still to be done
    - Revision of food ingredient base duration.
    - Revision of calories for food ingredients that can be eaten raw.

Fixes
    2) Raw fish can’t be eaten. Only crop plants and some foraged plants can be eaten raw."

Fishing skill would be useless otherwise unless you also had cooking. Same for other base food source skills.

Xsyon Citizen
    Just learned how to make the Pauwalu Plant Pouch, it's asking for 1 grass, 1 leaves and zero sap.

EDIT

Hugaleti Meat Pouch is the same, the third Material salt shows as needing zero, this means you have to right click the material to add it the crafting window before you can craft, but you don't use any of that third material to do the craft.

If two of the pouches are like this then odds are the rest of them are.
    Last edited by Bejaymac; 08-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Everything I listed is now working right.

A couple of things though I noticed.When you get tired with no food or water it takes 1 min 40 secs to go back to normal.That seems a bit harsh for new players that dont know what there doing and be an instent turn off after they do that 3-4 times within 20 mins of play.So maybe the time from breathing hard to normal can be cut shorter.

When your done eating food the animation keeps going for about 5 secs.

This is more of a request but can you make it so we can see our energy numbers on the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by wastelandstoic View Post
    Had a little time to get on test yesterday and try the new content. The single best improvement for me was being able to kill an animal and harvest meat! Finally a hunter can get his grub on without fishing or foraging.

Hopefully we will be able to eat the meat raw, like fish, for some base sustenance.

I do agree that the amount of meat should vary based on some factor, size being the obvious best or alternatively it could be done like gut harvesting -based on power. This would still have bears and hamsters yielding one meat thought, at lowest power levels...

Question: I found the skewer recipe in my tool craft menu but did not find any of the new preservative basket recipes in my basketry menu (basketry 89). Do these have to be grinded for in order to get them?

Also, in running around collecting all the necessary ingredients for cooking my water and food levels both dropped to 0, I ran out of energy and I went into exhaustion. At 0 in both food and water exhaustion last for at least a full minute and it may have been more like a min. 30 sec. This seems like overkill. Especially for newer players who may have a slow time of it getting their chosen food collection skill up before they can begin to provide for themselves. Maybe a minimum of 30 sec exhaustion in the most extreme cases? or some minimum less than what there is now. Just a thought.

Other than that, and some of the things already brought up, this patch looks great!

Grats on this huge content addition! I'm sure it was a long slog.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastelandstoic View Post
    Fishing skill would be useless otherwise unless you also had cooking. Same for other base food source skills.
    I do not think you should be able to eat meat raw (currently you can't) I like the change where you have to cook it or eat veggies/plants.

I do not want to see meat based on power, that doesn't make much sense it should be based on size of animal. A bear would give 50x more meat than a rabbit pretty easy. Just scale it along the way for other animals.

Wastelandstoic you have to grind for it or find the recipe for the new baskets.

About not eating and exhaustion. Finding food is very very easy, even without cooking I could easy keep myself fed with low foraging skill, at the very least water is super common. I feel that there should be a survival aspect to not eating/drinking. People that run around with no water/food should slowly die much like in the mist only maybe slower.
    The exhaustion part of it, again if you are not watching your energy, food, and water, you should be punished for it. I do not feel that 1 min is much of an issue considering using the right food you can get a full energy bar in less than 12 seconds. When you consider eating alone basic food takes 30 seconds, 1 min is not long at all.

Fishing would be useless without cooking just like many of the other resource gathering skills. I think it's fine considering that fish is likely to be the most common way to get meat, unless they change it so that animals give a lot more meat, then I think they need to change the fishing time from 20s to 10s instead.

The amount of guts to fertilize plants is way to high, there should be a recipe to make fertilizer from animal parts where it yields more fertilizer than 1 use per gut. I would say about 8 fertilizer per gut to balance out the game correctly.

Currently it takes 4 guts for 1 plant to 100%.
    My think it should be 1/2 a gut per plant. Making this a recipe to make fertilizer out of 1 gut (using things like maybe water and fish and a tool) to make 8 fertilizer, I think would be balanced.

O.O

Unfortunately the char i want to use for cooking is unpaid so I could only try out the basics. I had points to use that would have brought me to 30 in either skil but alas i cant use them.

I have to agree with Unclean...the time of exaustion is way to long for a new player and would discourage them tho i also agree with DDT that in this situation you would have a more dire penalty.

I have in the past put in a suggestion for having a composter added to woodcraft and/or scrapcraft to make fertilizer in. Granted this should only be available as is the water barrel, level 40 +. Decreasing the amount of fertilizer needed would be a good idea as is the suggestion of adding a way to make small batches of it by hand without a future suggested composter.

Fishing becoming non-important i can see happening to a point. I can eat 3 berries and get a 1/4 bar of stamina versus having to eat 5-6 cooked fish. If i am going to take the time and effort to learn to fish and cook, the cooked fish should give more stamina otherwise why cook or fish...just be a vegitarian. Yes i understand that at higher levels of cooking the food can be of way more benifit. a fine line to tread indeed.

If i member right...plowing has to be on Tribe property, so farming is out for FTP correct? unless they are in a tribe and allowed to?

Since i am still struggling to keep my house i will let the Paid people finish the testing. all i can do atm is supply info based on if i were a new FTP. Good luck and happy Farming

Splitting a stack of cooked food will mess up the buff timer / buffs to 0s 0s.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I do not think you should be able to eat meat raw (currently you can't) I like the change where you have to cook it or eat veggies/plants.

I do not want to see meat based on power, that doesn't make much sense it should be based on size of animal. A bear would give 50x more meat than a rabbit pretty easy. Just scale it along the way for other animals.

Wastelandstoic you have to grind for it or find the recipe for the new baskets.

About not eating and exhaustion. Finding food is very very easy, even without cooking I could easy keep myself fed with low foraging skill, at the very least water is super common. I feel that there should be a survival aspect to not eating/drinking. People that run around with no water/food should slowly die much like in the mist only maybe slower.
    The exhaustion part of it, again if you are not watching your energy, food, and water, you should be punished for it. I do not feel that 1 min is much of an issue considering using the right food you can get a full energy bar in less than 12 seconds. When you consider eating alone basic food takes 30 seconds, 1 min is not long at all.

Fishing would be useless without cooking just like many of the other resource gathering skills. I think it's fine considering that fish is likely to be the most common way to get meat, unless they change it so that animals give a lot more meat, then I think they need to change the fishing time from 20s to 10s instead.
    I think raw meat would be fine, just like raw fish giving a minimal sustenance. Cooked more. IRL both are acceptable albeit risk of contamination is higher in animal meat. This gives the player more options. (Which attribute dependent skills to raise and which not)

Agreed, size is best for determining amount of meat.

New Baskets -right on, assumed.

Exhaustion-
    Keeping in mind the rule of 3 for water and food I think there is plenty of room to have a survival aspect to sustenance but also not frustrate new/ beginning players. One min. 30-40 sec. is too long for anyone, IMO. And I'm speaking of being locked up with exhaustion specifically.

I'm opposed to adding content that make someone’s work to raise a skill obsolete. There's no reason why you can't allow, fishing say, to still provide meat with some sustenance and then cooked fish more sustenance. Same with animal meat, same with plants.

Guts to fertilize plants-
    Yeah, agree here.

Lots of other things would work here too as has been offered by myself and others in the last farming thread. Personally I think it should not be guts but if so fewer make more sense.

Xsyon Citizen
    Just learned the other three skewers, only Forager's skewer has an icon, the other three are blank.

I agree that the fertilizer is terribly unbalanced right now. Needing 4 guts to fertilize one plant is extreme, and I don't see people doing that to be honest.

I too prefer the idea of making fertilizer from guts instead, but if adding a whole new aspect would slow release a lot then it could be as simple as with seeds: have an extract action to get for example 15-20 fertilizer pellets/dollops from each gut, and then using these pellets or whatever on the plant. So that each gut would fertilize 3-4 plants fully. Alternatively there could be a crafting process of some kind, but I guess that would take some time to develop.

Eating fish and meat raw should be discouraged, or what is the point of cooking? I don't see fishing becoming obsolete, rather the opposite, even if you can't eat them raw people are going to need more fish now. There isn't really a need to eat them raw anyway since all you need is a fire and skewer and then you can cook, no need to specialize in a whole new craft. If there is an option to eat them raw, then at the least it should a significantly lower boost, and perhaps be slower to eat than cooked food.

Berries should give a lot less sustenance than any cooked food. Eating one meat or fish dish, should be equal to at least 30 raw plants IMO.

I can't wait to try these basketry recipes! Over all, I love love love this new content!