Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Just curious what tools will be needed for farming and can the special item the harvester be used?

I think the rate hunger drops for game play while out in the world (extreme game play) is a bit high.

chopping a tree at 30 skill drops hunger 2% thats 1% fell then 1% to chop

10 secs of sprinting drops my hunger 1%

I had to eat 4 cooked fish to start off my 20 mins of game play and 4 more to maintain it around 45-50% so 8 cooked items for 20 mins of gameplay.

Food buffs currently do not go away on death.

Separated two kebabs from a named recipe. One ended up with a no buffs and Consumption 0 s, Duration 0 min 0 sec.

Cattails cannot be used as a primary ingredient.
    Last edited by thurgond; 08-05-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Thurgond, pretty sure none of the seasonings can be used as a primary.

Has there been any thought as to our natural rainfall in the area watering plants for farming? The lake Tahoe area, (Xsyson) included gets plenty of rainfall to naturally water the plants. Unless you are going to create drought conditions, then why is watering needed for the farm plants? Grass and trees seem to grow just fine. In real life I can't go out and water an entire farm plot and so I have a lot of organic food in potted plants that I water. All the stuff grows fine here in Missouri except in the hottest part of the summer. Some of the quicker growing crops you can get in two plantings a season. If you have to use guts as fertilizer, why can't you also use dead fish? A lot of us don't like to kill off all the animals just for farming fertilizer and meat. My wife Kat is an expert fisherperson and a person should be able to sustain hunger requirements from fishing. The cooking I have not tested, but if there are fish recipes that will be awesome. I am not sure people have the extra time to keep watering farm plants. Please allow for the natural rainfall to do some of the watering or alas I will find I have no time for farming. Not sure about everyone else. Hope this helps.

Regarding calories per food item-

I'm not understanding the 2 options either. Under option 1 Would raw foods produce zero calories and cooked food be the only method of calories? If so I'm for option 2.

With all the above in mind, do you players feel that the amount should be increased to 25% or kept at the current rate?

I'd go with 25% but don't mind 12.5% either.

Regarding food preservation-

I can't think of a single game I've played in 15 years that makes food temporary. Rather than giving food value this makes it worthless in my mind. Who's going to buy something that will rot in one month? Not I.

My perception is that there are a strong percentage of players that are do-it-yourselfers who want to be as independent as possible. They will just collect enough to consume/cook for a month and do it all again the next month. There is no incentive to gather more food beyond what’s needed temporarily in this scheme. This kind of forced fix would put more limitations on players rather than offer more choices/ options that you'd expect from added content. Why not work your way completely through the development list then take a good look at trade/economy with a full picture and make possible adjustment from there? Trying to both add content and fix the economy may just be two contradictory things.

I do actually like the preservative baskets and structures and think that cooked food should be temporary. Under the system you have listed I would add a salting/drying/preserving method that would allow the base food staples (edible plants, fish and animal meat) to be made permanent, with the food storage methods.

Just my opinion.
    Anyhow, Massive fish and plant give-a-way at Raven Moon after the patch.

Please check out the New Trade hub!

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    Please check out the New Trade hub!
    No opinions on the topic at hand just advertising your trade hub?

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Regarding calories per food item, I am considering two options.

1) Food items supply a different amount of calories and resulting cooked food is based on this. This would give more calories to more advanced recipes. This was the original design.

2) Cooked food items give a set amount of calories (for example 20% hunger filled) and edible raw foods give a set lesser amount of calories (1/4 to 1/2 of cooked dishes).

Currently, I am favoring option 2 for several reasons [edited to fix typo]

- The system is already complex enough I believe and adding another layer of complexity may make it too complicated. I think it's better to go simple with the calories for now and add this extra complexity if it seems that it will benefit the system in the future.

- In many instances a player may not want a high level recipe to give too many calories as they will want to switch food buffs or use food for the fast health and energy recovery more often without becoming over stuffed.

These things need to be kept in mind:

- The goal is keep your hunger level within the normal healthy range. A full hunger bar is not a goal and is detrimental.

- Consumption times can be reduced with the correct seasonings. This will allow a player to create different types of foods, for example: Foods with fast consumption (10 seconds or less) to quickly satisfy your hunger or apply quick stat buff changes. Foods with deliberately slow consumption so that you can restore health or energy quickly with one meal. Foods with slow consumption that will apply buffs that you plan to have active for a while.

- You get the same calories applied regardless of the consumption rate.

Currently, food increased your hunger bar by 12.5%. I could increased this to 25%. That would give players two meals to go from the low end to the high end of your optimal healthy hunger range.

With all the above in mind, do you players feel that the amount should be increased to 25% or kept at the current rate?
    I believe that option #2 is the best option at the moment, it can always be made more complex later on.

Regarding the hunger bar, I would increase it to 25%. As you pointed out this would equate to two meals to return a starving person to optimal hunger levels. If people, especially new players require too many meals or need to eat too often they will start to feel they spend all their time trying to survive rather than experience the rest of the game. This would deter new players from remaining which is something we all want to avoid as more people = more fun and people having fun will be more likely to sub which equals more development money which also leads to more fun for vets and newbs combined.

Fertilizer and Fish

Fertilizer and Fish

Allow fish to be gut.

Right click stack of fish would bring up the option to gut. Gutting a fish would produce - Gutted Fish + Fish Guts.

Gutted Fish is a cooking ingredient (Un-gutted fish could no longer be used as a cooking ingredient).
    Fish Guts can be used as fertilizer like other guts.

Gutting fish could either tie into hunting or fishing.
    Gutting fish could require holding a knife in the right hand.
    If tied to hunting could allow for the production of small bones as well but I'm not sure that would really be necessary at this point. The main point would be to produce both a cooking ingredient and fish guts for fertilizer.