Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Xsyon Citizen
    DDT, why that you always think that restricting people to get stuff or succeed is going to help economy? you have a wrong way of see things, I think if you restrict people you will drive them away and thus hurt an economy because you will end-up with few people playing.

How is unrestricted skills working right now?
    Only thing I see from unrestricted skills is people want to do everything themselves and hording ALL the mats because "someday" they plan on leveling it or they think they "need" it or will use it later.

You need to teach people to work together, that's what makes an MMO great. People playing with other people doing things with other people. If you make a game where everyone wants to play solo, you end up with no one playing your game but a few solo players.
    Solo is fun for a bit, but MMO's work because people normally enjoy doing things with others. I'm not saying force people to join a guild of 100 people, but encourage them to play with 5 or 10 people, they end up meeting new friends and talking about Xsyon and life and having fun. Xsyon has encouraged people to play solo. Make your OWN homestead, craft EVERYTHING yourself! See what this does?
    Please name a game that is doing well that encourages people to play alone?

You have this misguided belief that everyone wants to play alone. People normally don't play MMO's to play solo. Yet this is what is happening in Xsyon. Ask yourself why? When everyone in the tribe is competing for the same mats, and training ALL the skills because that is the best way to do things, then they can easy make their own tribe and control it and costs nothing to do so? Just think about it, what does that do for the game?
    Why would a player want to trade when they can do everything themselves?
    Next thing is that everything is pretty easy to get expect for some animal parts and very specialized scav items (like 1.0 FOR buckles or decorations)
    Skills are very fast to train really, once you know how to do it and have mats.
    So at the end of the day, the only thing anyone really wants is time consuming mats that are needed to grind skills/stats. The rare leather or metal is unlikely to trade for much because if someone is at that level to craft it, they are at that level to get the mats too. Because they don't need to focus on a skill. They do everything, and because anything you have that they want, they would have to give up someone they have that you want because they can do EVERYTHING!

Restrictions are good for the economy, I'm going to point out there's a condition to that which I'll come back to later, it is the very foundation of any economic system .... you have something I want, I have something you want. And those restrictions should be circumventable (and that is TOTALLY a real word) with a great deal of risk and/or effort.

In fact I'd go further and suggest that restrictions are a fundamental part of the post-apocalyptic genre, in most films and books (that aren't one persons/small groups struggling against x,y or zombies) all the major towns and cities are either built around secure(ish) trade or the production of a single rare but vital resource.

Now back to that condition, restrictions are good for a large, robust and vibrant economy, which we don't have at the moment. Given the current population size, trading mechanics and distribution of resources restrictions are, for me anyways, a thing for the future.

As a side note: Can I add my voice to the sandbox's are not "I can do anything" side of the debate please, they are lands where there are endless opportunities obstructed by the virtual realities of the land itself. (And if you figure out what I just meant please send me a message cause I'm dying to know myself )
    Last edited by Pax_Ratlin; 12-18-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Xsyon Citizen
    If it was unrestricted I wouldn't of start this very thread, you said go scavenge for resources, but how am I going to get resources if resources are restricted to get?
    Well, I see no point to pay $15 per month and be restricted to do what I want, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    If it was unrestricted I wouldn't of start this very thread, you said go scavenge for resources, but how am I going to get resources if resources are restricted to get?
    Well, I see no point to pay $15 per month and be restricted to do what I want, end of story.
    It works like this.

You find out a few of the things you like to do in game. Lets just pick 3 but my restrictions would limit you down to about 20 if I had my way.
    These 3 wouldn't just be you can ONLY do these 3, but it would be that these 3 would be the ones you can become the best at, no one else could be better.

So say that is fishing, leathercrafting, and forestry.
    You get high QL fish, not only that but you get them with ease.
    You craft the best leather armor in the game (and leather basic mats)
    and you get seeds and twigs etc with ease and max QL.

You now need tools for leather crafting and a fishing pole for fishing. So you trade the toolcraft guy down the road who needs twigs and branches for some tools for your leather crafting and fishing that are top tier QL for your top tier QL twigs and branches/seeds.
    But you also get from him basic tools for anything else you might need at a basic QL level, like a skewer for cooking some basic foods.
    You do this all around the game. With different people, and tribes.

What does this do? It gives people a purpose and direction, objectives and goals.

See how you are not limited in what you can do? Just how good you can do it. You can skill cook, and build and craft your basic needs, but the high end stuff you will want to work with others and specialize in the things YOU want to do.

Xsyon Citizen
    DDT, you wish it would work like that, in reality people would choose best skills to level, and if there is no one to get other stuff, they will create another alt, at the end, you'll end-up with the same problem only in a different way, "this is the reality", and you can't restrict that.

the reality is that ppl do not find knife blades couz they spend to much time in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    DDT, you wish it would work like that, in reality people would choose best skills to level, and if there is no one to get other stuff, they will create another alt, at the end, you'll end-up with the same problem only in a different way, "this is the reality", and you can't restrict that.
    If there are "best" skills then its a balance issue.
    I've played many games, people choose skills they like to do and have fun doing, not just because they are the best money makers or easiest etc.
    Some people like to be weapon crafters, or leather workers, or scavengers etc long before they even know how it works.

You can say I'm wrong but you offer no data or proof. I offer you proof that people in Xsyon mostly try to do and want to do everything. This creates a hoarders haven. Which is very bad for the game.

The alt issue is a valid point, only that you will find that people running 2+ accounts will have a hard time keeping them leveled up. Alt's will happen, and it doesnt cause problems for economy.

MrDDT you misunderstood me when I asked how practical it is to max all skills. I meant, how many hours would it take from a fresh brand new player and character?

How is it that a player of 3 years doesn't know that all skills can be maxed?

How is it that a player of 3 years is having such huge trouble finding such a basic item?

He doesn't know how the game works? There MIGHT be an issue with how obtainable knowledge of the game is.

There is no way to know where to get them? This sounds like a massive flaw with the loot system. Is it really just run around sampling junk piles every 10 ft? Garbage picking simulator might actually fly on Steam, given the success of Goat simulator... but you gotta be honest about it.

On the topic of economy, think about supply and demand. Because there is no restrictions on skills, supply is huge. Also, and more importantly, because being self-sufficient is really the only tangible goal in the game, supply is low cost -- so low that it's actually negative cost. If I go out and gather grass for an hour, it's because I'm going to use it. If I needed twigs, I would go out and gather twigs.

I don't go out and gather grass if I needed twigs, because that would be introducing an unnecessary step in the process. I would now have to find a player, barter with them, and transport these goods, JUST to get what I actually want.
    I also don't go out and gather grass if I needed twigs, because if I was good enough at gathering grass to make that trade a valuable proposition, I would probably be bored of gathering grass.

This is a very shallow sandbox game. There is not enough depth to say 'Im going to make my mark as the best grass gatherer in the game!'.

Players are going to want to be able to do everything. They want to gather, then probably do some crafting, then probably do some building, then probably do some hunting.*** After that, they're going to want to do all of those things on a higher level: more options, more challenge. They're going to want to compete against other players: gather faster/better, craft faster/better, build faster/better, hunt faster/better. Then if they aren't complete carebears, they're going to want to compete against other players directly and actually PvP.
    *** marks where Xsyon's gameplay ends. There's really no second level of complexity or challenge in any of the game systems aside from grinds getting more tedious, items getting more rare (randomly), hunts requiring better gear. There is certainly no reason to compete against each other -- what does it matter that I can gather grass faster than you when gathering grass is the reason we are playing in the first place?

O.O

My My....

I myself have never seen eye to eye with MrDDT but with all i have read in these posts of this Thread, MrDDT still has the right answers. No it is not his game and Xsyon does not do what he asks for but Xsyon has listened to all of us when it makes changes...No, it is not what we want but it is what Xsyon wants.

Oh sorry to butt in...I am one of the afore mentioned Looters...I have tons of Knife blades in all sizes and shapes. I have 3 Chars in game and ea one only has 1 skill maxed...there was no need to be max or know everything...everything was easy to get. But...guess what...I have alot (maybe not as much as MrDDT) and what did it do for me? Nothing.

Im sorry you are having a hard time finding Blades but finding friends to be with is way harder. There are a few jabs at this but to keep this game going it has to focus on things that keep people together not to be solo. If you had more friends say ina tribe...you prolly would not be having such a hard time finding the blades because they all would have helped. And thus my last interjection into your rant....they never should have split the servers thus more people to interact with.

Have a nice day with your Legos

Gruu