Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkness....

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Darkness....

Diocletian wrote:
    Then you will see enough not to walk into the tree, but good luck not tripping on roots.
    Yeah, thats about right. V-I'll be happy to debate it with you once you have seen it in person. :blink:

Diocletian wrote:
    Then you will see enough not to walk into the tree, but good luck not tripping on roots.
    Exactly, and they're trying to make it realistic.

Calimos wrote:
    Yeah, thats about right. V-I'll be happy to debate it with you once you have seen it in person. :blink:
    Okay, once they get to April 1st preorders we may debate this together farther.

Veldern wrote:
    Diocletian wrote:
    Exactly, and they're trying to make it realistic.
    Being realistic is not a good argument when its about nighttime in a game. What do we do during night in real ? Mostly sleep. We don't walk out in forests, we stay in bed or stay in a house with lights on. In a game you want to play, no matter what period of the day it is...you want to craft, build, terraform, kill, just like as it was daylight. Night should be dark enough to let you know it is night, but it shouldn't stop you to actually play the game. If there are torches or any other lightsources to help you out thats another question.

I actually like how dark it is at night. Almost every other game I've played that has a day-night cycle has too much light at night.

If there's a new moon, a bit of weather, and it's not near dawn or dusk, you shouldn't be able to see squat. I personally have extremely good night vision, and have spent my share of time in the woods in RL, and Xsyon has it pretty close to right.

I do, however, believe that torches/candles in reflective casings that have hoods (bullseye lanterns) should be available at some point. In the beginning, we're probably looking at torches wrapped with polyester and cotton cloth.

For the PVP folks, perhaps (hypothetical) shamen might be able to cast a catsight spell to allow better visibility at night without a light to give you away.

On my screen, even without messing with the gamma settings, I can already see quite a bit more in game, even on a moonless night.

Jadzia wrote:
    Being realistic is not a good argument when its about nighttime in a game. What do we do during night in real ? Mostly sleep. We don't walk out in forests, we stay in bed or stay in a house with lights on. In a game you want to play, no matter what period of the day it is...you want to craft, build, terraform, kill, just like as it was daylight. Night should be dark enough to let you know it is night, but it shouldn't stop you to actually play the game. If there are torches or any other lightsources to help you out thats another question.
    That is one argument, scroll up a bit if you wish to read mine. (It's the longer of my posts.)

**EDIT**
    It's about 3/4ths of the way down page 2.

Xsyon Citizen

Realism is great, but when it is so dark at night time that I do not want to play the game, and dread night time coming because I can't function in the game-then it is a problem. I hope when firestarting is implemented this will be resolved, with torches or whatever.

Pretends to be a Dev...

*patches in the ability to gather sticks / twigs and grass to build a torch

Stops pretending to be a Dev...

Loading into game, finds torching as a skill, makes a torch, does this several times....

Lines them up

Attempting to guide this topic back on track...

I suggest that with a few sticks / twigs / grass stuff that can be gathered by anyone no matter what the profession you should be able to craft a torch or small fire pit.

lets cut the flaming before i send both of you to tme out.

I don't see a problem with the darkness, i can see for a few hundred feet...