Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkness....

Darkness....

Firestarter a starting trade / craft skill?

Picture this... I just download the game, log in, create my character, and load into the game. It's night time, I can't see anything, I cant do anything, I have no idea what is around me. I don't really think this is a good way to start the game off.

I suggest that with a few sticks / twigs / grass stuff that can be gathered by anyone no matter what the profession you should be able to craft a torch or small fire pit. With this ability you will be able to move, craft, build, hunt at night... all the things that a starting player is going to want to do but will be unable to do in total darkness in a strange new world.

Re:Darkness....

tredo wrote:
    Firestarter a starting trade / craft skill?

Picture this... I just download the game, log in, create my character, and load into the game. It's night time, I can't see anything, I cant do anything, I have no idea what is around me. I don't really think this is a good way to start the game off.

I suggest that with a few sticks / twigs / grass stuff that can be gathered by anyone no matter what the profession you should be able to craft a torch or small fire pit. With this ability you will be able to move, craft, build, hunt at night... all the things that a starting player is going to want to do but will be unable to do in total darkness in a strange new world.
    I think you should not have the skill "just because".
    But I think that entering and being able to do anything is not good.
    Although, it would be nice to have a starter torch that burns out after 4 real time hours of continuous usage. Or something similar...

I find the dark just about right. You can still do things and wander around with only a little difficulty. This difficulty gives players the incentive to make fires and torches when they get into the game.

I can see where hunting may be difficult although night-sight might be a skill a dedicated hunter picks up.

Turn up gamma, you obviously have it too low for the game :P

Illmaculate wrote:
    Obviously... it is not.

Everyone I've talked to thinks it's too dark at night. My gamma is fine.

Thanks for your fanboy input, though.
    You're welcome, considering that there was a thread about this a couple weeks ago where everyone posted screenshots and some where much darker then others. They said that the moon is involved in how light or dark it is outside, so if you don't like it, turn up your gamma. (Or watch and get torches when it's a new moon.)

P.S. It's not called being a fanboy, it's called paying attention.

Illmaculate wrote:
    roif

How about an in-game gamma setting?

And pretty sure it wasn't the moon that was causing the varying degrees of darkness. As night shifts to day it slowly gets lighter.

This is the only game I've played where it's been too dark at night.
    Naw, the devs said it did (as always, too lazy to post link, if someone would be so kind...) and that is called twilight... do I really have to explain that to you too?

This is supposed to be "realistic" if you are in an area like the place this game is set, where there is no light from a city to lighten up the night then it is going to be that dark. Once the game is fully implemented I am sure there will be opportunity to make torches, fires, "street torches" for the villages which will give a lot more light to the night. I love it and once the wildlife is implemented it is going to make the night a whole lot more scarey :laugh:

Illmaculate wrote:
    You said it. This is a game. I don't want to run around in pitch black. If I want a "realistic" darkness effect, I'll go run around in the forest at night.

But yeah, I'm sure there will be torches to help eventually. Right now, though, night time is a real annoyance.
    If you're unhappy, go jump in a lake. I heard water emits ambient light at night.

Actually yes that is true, the light from the moon reflects off the lake. As long as you are facing the lake you can see a little at night, it is never completely pitch black

prokop15 wrote:
    Dummy alert
    If you're going to troll... at least be good at it. Personally, from everything I've seen, nighttime looks just fine.