Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    how much time will players have to finish their projects?

The system is good ...i love it on the testserver!..Now we can build things of our dreams.
    one thing:
    -Laterally rotate in smaller angles (not only 90 degrees)
    -Give us smaller dices 0,2x0,2 and 0,1x0,1 then we can build fine structures

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Correct. One of my main goals here is to allow players to lay out and visualize their designs in full without hassles and dirt piles before actually building.
    Kind of hard to do when you can only move ghosts 7.9 meters from your position, you have to build it as your designing it just to get high enough to place the next floor level.

I've had a chance to play with the new system now that the bug blocking me from building has been dealt with.

Was a fan of the new collision detection on the earlier testing and I'm pleased to see it's the same, the addition of being able to build on a completed frame or floor is a very nice touch.

Frames however are my biggest problem, on test previously I could leave them as ghosts and built the projects on top of them, then they were just something I thought of as temporary scaffolding and as such were just a PITA when they got in your way. Now that I actually have to build them to complete the projects on top of them they have become a PITFA, especially if your trying to build an internal stairwell with ramps, as the ramps don't play well with the frames.

TBH it's not the ramps that don't play nice, it's the empty space above that's the problem, you have to offset a frame so part of it is in the gap, that way it gets support from a frame below, and can give you enough support to catch your projects above. ATM this is only a PITA as we can dismantle the frames once construction is finished, that way we don't have to put up with meander frame legs inside our structures, and in my test piece I can replace the walls the offset frames are blocking me from placing.

Another point is the one wastelandstoic made about canopies/tents/smokehouses etc inside our buildings, without frames and assuming you have the head room the project can be started on a completed floor, with frames you have no chance as frames are nothing more than a solid block, which stops any architectural project from being placed inside them.

So my suggestion is a simple one yes keep the frames for building with, but once we have finished construction then please allow those of us that want to dismantle them to do just that, that way we can "furnish" the insides how we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnuts View Post
    how much time will players have to finish their projects?
    The update will be released as soon as possible, as early as next week. This update is very important and is required for fixing creature path finding and collision issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wastelandstoic View Post
    Yes, as a long time player there is some reticence about having to learn a new system having spent 2 years figuring out how to build the kinds of structures I wanted to build under current conditions but, your merits for the new system and willingness to leave all current structures as they are does alleviate most of that.
    For me this emphasizes the importance of this update. Multi-story building using the 'drop method' bug is difficult to learn and has been a barrier for new players.

In asking for the kinds of structures the community wants to build (that now do not have supports) you listed tree houses, hanging decks and bridges. These are the only ones I'm currently aware of that we would like to continue to be able to build.

Do you want specific images or do the 3 TYPES you have listed cover what you are asking for at this time?
    That's ok. I already have some. Once I have the the type of frames necessary for these situations to be properly built ready, I'll ask for more feedback.

One other concern; with the drop method no longer available putting storage structures (canopies & smoke house) inside buildings will no longer be possible or at least much more problematic. Will it be possible to get some kind of structures (whether arch or woodworking i.e. --furniture) that can be placed inside buildings? (That, I assume, would have to ignore collision?)
    Yes! I have some furniture that was created a long time ago, but I needed to resolve collision and multi-story problems before releasing them. Once this building update is done I can start releasing furniture parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Whorlok View Post
    The system is good ...i love it on the testserver!..Now we can build things of our dreams.
    one thing:
    -Laterally rotate in smaller angles (not only 90 degrees)
    -Give us smaller dices 0,2x0,2 and 0,1x0,1 then we can build fine structures
    One step at a time! :-) Smaller pieces will be added over time. Allowing for full rotation will cause too many problems but I can add more angled and curved walls over time that fit the grid system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bejaymac View Post
    Kind of hard to do when you can only move ghosts 7.9 meters from your position, you have to build it as your designing it just to get high enough to place the next floor level.
    Distances are being adjusted and can be discussed in the technical thread.

Frames however are my biggest problem ... especially if your trying to build an internal stairwell with ramps, as the ramps don't play well with the frames.
    Please list any problems you see with ramps and frames in the technical thread and I will look into it.

Keep in mind that right now there is one standard frame type but I will be adding many variations to allow for larger interior spaces and cantilevers.

Another point is the one wastelandstoic made about canopies/tents/smokehouses etc inside our buildings, without frames and assuming you have the head room the project can be started on a completed floor, with frames you have no chance as frames are nothing more than a solid block, which stops any architectural project from being placed inside them.
    Some building parts may be set as 'furniture' and allowed to be placed inside frames. We'll see once the basics are working 100%.

So my suggestion is a simple one yes keep the frames for building with, but once we have finished construction then please allow those of us that want to dismantle them to do just that, that way we can "furnish" the insides how we want.
    This would go against the purpose of the frames and again allow for floating buildings without physical support underneath. Larger frames and allowing small building parts to fit within the frame is a better solution.

Thanks for the input!

No way to remove frames from under a floor? How do we do a bridge? or a nice big open room? Or an overhang? is everything now going to have to be cluttered up with all the frames?

I just was trying to build a small simple bridge but it will not let me remove the frame from under a floor.....It now seem to me that we can do less and it takes mare mats to do it. Once again maybe I am missing something but if we can't float floors how do we do a bridge? Are we going to be able to have roofs with big open spaces below like we can now? On the PvP server I have a nice parking garage (12X12) that has a high roof that is 8 meters up. I am assuming that is not possible anymore, without 2 levels of frames and 9 frames for each level. So far I am not liking this but I am sure there are others that are, so there is my 2 cents so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabent View Post
    No way to remove frames from under a floor? How do we do a bridge? or a nice big open room? Or an overhang? is everything now going to have to be cluttered up with all the frames?
    As I've stated, larger frames and cantilever frames will be added to allow for situations such as larger rooms, bridges, and overhang. We also have proper bridge parts that were never patched out because I wanted to first improve the collision and building system. With these things done I can start patching out the remaining construction parts which include low fences, porches, bridge parts and furniture.

Xsyon Citizen
    What supports what, just to give everyone a heads up on what I'm finding so far -

Walls and gates will support each other but nothing else.

Ramps and platforms will support each other but nothing else.

Frames support most other items but can only get support from another frame.

Floors only get support from the ground or frames, but can support ramps and platforms.

Posts cant support each other but do get support from walls and frame, and can be used to support walls (haven't tried frames yet).

Roofs can only get support from the ground and frames, but do not support anything themselves.

Not sure if tents/teepee's etc are part of the plan, but so far my tarp tent only works on the ground.

So my advise is if you have any ghosts not on the ground then get them built NOW, because once this goes live you will more that likely have to delete them all.
    Last edited by Bejaymac; 02-07-2015 at 02:25 AM.