Two questions I posted on Steam and would like some official answer please! :)

1)What is the incentive to kill animals and mutants?:

Do you get better materials which means that you can craft better equipment and tools that gives you something better noticiable? Like killing a mutant bear gives you better bones than a normal bear and with those bones you can craft armor with higher defense (or weapons with higher attack) than what you could craft with a normal bear's bones? Or animal loot is all the same?

Is armor balanced and there is an incentive to try to get better armor and tools and weapons because they are better significantly? So that also trading is rewarded because players want to get better tools/equipment and for that they need better animal parts that they can't hunt so hunters can do that job?

Any experienced player could share some real info on how equipment, materials and loot is balanced in the game?

-------------------

2) Is there any conquer system for player cities as originally planned?:

Is there any siege or conquer system? Any territorial system where building a city means something more than just build it, and guilds can control territories, conquer others, defend theirs and gain something by doing so? Like for example bonuses that are given to guild members in a controled area by your guild, like having a city gives you an area around where you get bonuses and you can expand that area by building towers and when two areas from two near guild cities are in conflict a conquering system will determine which ones wins the siege etc?

If I remember correctly when Xsyon launched and there was only 1 server (PvP was ON) this was planned, later on due to all the PvP drama from people that didn't want forced PvP it was decided that guilds could choose to set their cities "siegable" or make them safe zones forever, giving guilds that chose the first some bonuses as rewards for the risk taken. Later on the game changed to PvE and PvP server to fix people that don't like open PvP, i know that, but the later idea of siegable or not guilds will still fit in a PvE servers as it is a thing chosen by the guild and pvp will only be enabled there when war is declared between 2 guilds, and only between those 2 guilds and in a concrete moment (the conquer siege of the territory in conflict).

Is this still planned sometime in the future or near future? if it is not planned, what is the meaning of a PvP server, just killing for fun people around? PvP has to have a purpose, even more in sandbox games, and this type of conflict automatically gives that purpose to PvP, player cities and politic included as meta game or end-game.

Noticeable is hard to define. Yes crafting with higher QL stuff (and mutant) mats will have an effect on your items in some ways. However, because everything is scaled to a low level there is no reason to worry about high end QL (quality level) or mutant stuff. Using the starter pre order weapon. Yes you can make slightly better weapons but they decay and all it does is saves you 1 attack on a monster faster. So you are just better off not worrying about.
    If there were harder monsters, or PVP or events that required you to have top tier things yeah I can see going for higher end mats and skills. But currently a new player can kill the hardest monsters without being hit with starter equipment.

Is there a conquer system? No, nor was one planned ever according to Xsyon. He would allow tribes the option to be attacked (meaning a tribe would be able to flip a switch to be attacked) however, without any benefits at all, I see no reason why a tribe ever would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kironcete View Post
    1)What is the incentive to kill animals and mutants?:
    As you surmised, mutant creatures, older creatures and more powerful creatures drop better materials. These in turn can be used to increase the stats on crafted armor sets.

As implied above, there are some players that use tricks to make hunting creatures easier. I am currently working on a creature update that will prevent these tricks to put players on equal footing and ensure that the better armor sets have value.

2) Is there any conquer system for player cities as originally planned?:
    The short answer is there currently is no conquer or siege system in the works. It's something I would personally enjoy, but would be a large project with little return at the moment.

The longer answer is: Conquering territories was not part of Xsyon's original design. Xsyon was designed as more of an adventure game with players creating adventures for each other. The full design is very extensive and wasn't feasible on my initial budget. Many features of the original design have never been posted publicly.

The current phase of the game is intentionally simplified version of my original design. It also follows my plan of evolving the game based on what players want, which does make things more complex.

That's where land conquest comes in. There have been a number of players that would like to like to see some sort of conquest system in game. I definitely have and am considering adding this in the future. This is a big task that would involve me researching current games and designing something that players would enjoy and that would fit with current game mechanics.

It's also something that attracts just a small part of the Xsyon community. As is, very few players want any sort of PvP. Among the PvP crowd that we've attracted in the past, many were the type to want to just grief, gank and cause drama and move on. There has been a solid group that wants to participate in more mutual PvP war games, but it's a small group.

One idea that I've considered is to allow players to control game regions by placing and defending a number of totems within the region. The tribe that controls the region would have benefits (better resource gains) or control (preventing non tribe member or allies to gather resources for example) within that region. I haven't worked out the details.

If it is not planned, what is the meaning of a PvP server, just killing for fun people around? PvP has to have a purpose, even more in sandbox games, and this type of conflict automatically gives that purpose to PvP, player cities and politic included as meta game or end-game.
    Before designing Xsyon, I played several MMOs with PvP. For me, PvP was fun and a challenge. It added an element of danger. Occasionally, there was the reward of getting loot from an opponent. I enjoyed it and I was entertained. That was it. Xsyon's PvP was intended to be the same.

I do acknowledge that players play games for different reasons. Many players today want more incentives to do something in a game. Beyond simply enjoyment, a challenge or entertainment they want tangible rewards and achievements. They want external goals to follow and their in game accomplishments to be visible to others. I do understand this and Xsyon will continue to add features to appeal to players who seek these type of incentives.

I hope that answers your questions. For now, I don't think Xsyon is the game you're looking for, but do come back in the future to see how the game has evolved.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xsyon; 05-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks for the in depth post and answers Xsyon.