Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

07/01/2015 - Feedback Request - Death Penalties

Hello Xsyon Citizens!

I'd like to open a discussion on potential death penalties. This is something that I've been meaning to implement for a very long time. With Infirmaries coming up this is a good time to put death penalties into play.

I am considering various options and am completely open to suggestions and feedback on this.

Here are some ideas that have been suggested or have been under consideration in the past:

- Item duration loss. This could be for equipped items or across the board all end use items (armor, weapons, tools) on your person. Maybe a 10% durability loss. This could help boost the economy. I can imagine players trying to drop items to save them last minute and might need some mechanism to prevent that from happening. Also, this could be paired with adding a ‘repair’ function that could require materials and dollars (another cash sink) or just dollars.

- Cash loss. For this I would need to add cash as a dollar count attached to your person (like in Warcraft for example). You won’t be able store dollars in bins. This would be another cash sink, but I could also add the cash or some percent of it onto nearby revenants.

- Item loss. One or a few items could be selected randomly, removed from the player and loaded up on nearby revenants. I think this could be fun, especially if I add backpacks or pouches to revenants.

- XP loss. This is straightforward. It just wouldn’t work well on players that have no xp saved up. It could require a negative XP balance to restore.

- Temporary stat or skill loss. This could last 10 - 30 minutes with gradual restoration. This is similar to Warcraft’s hefty stat and power reduction if you choose to resurrect at a shrine instead of doing a ghost run to your corpse. This may be of an annoyance than anything else, but I’m throwing the idea out here.

All feedback is welcome on this. Please do not turn this into a debate, however. I personally am leaning towards item duration / item loss, but I would like to hear from all you players first!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xsyon; 06-09-2016 at 01:02 PM.

I like:
    Item loss with maybe a way to stop it with a cash insurance system.
    Also it would need to cover items in the inventory also and not just equipped.

My worry is people still death porting items naked (like 1000s of bricks) across the map.

Cash loss also works but added work with less effect of the item loss system.

My worry about this is that people will run around naked again.

Item loss, sounds good but is really a pain in the butt if it happens. Already with a rev people dying they have major issues getting items back.

XP loss is almost pointless, it's barely even a punishment. Also remember it would be 0 punishment for non subbed accounts.

Temp stat and skill loss works but still doesnt fix the death porting items around the map.

- Cash loss. For this I would need to add cash as a dollar count attached to your person (like in Warcraft for example). You won’t be able store dollars in bins. This would be another cash sink, but I could also add the cash or some percent of it onto nearby revenants.

- Item loss. One or a few items could be selected randomly, removed from the player and loaded up on nearby revenants. I think this could be fun, especially if I add backpacks or pouches to revenants.

Do you plan on adding in a Good/Evil system like talked about a while back? This was part of the plan for that also.

I prefer item duration loss with repair function in dollars.

I prefer you loosing all skills, itme and you have to start complete new(creat new toon and so on). If it should be a survival game, tell me in which real world what we know we can save anythink to take over in a new life ?
    I think this will push the people think about how I play and what I doin´g in the game if I go hunting alone or in a team, and what I hunt or where I jump down and so on. I alsow don´t want that some boost (drink or plant) will be add in the game I think it will be more interesting to add a skill like doctor or medicine.

i barely die anytime unless i deathport, so usual i sould be fine with any of them. but honestly most of the current suggest stuff is nonsense, at least for the way i face and play the game.

1. remove 10% of the dura on equipped items may be fine for ppl who fight in a grass suit. but those who make and wear decend armors can not get back the materials while the armors duro goes down with the current system. supreme plastic sole, buckle, zipper, decoration, cloth or whatevery in violet with 100q is taking weeks to find, even if you sort scrap it wouldnt be really fast. 100p mutant critters are almost not there, if you want to make a leather suit you need at least 10 of them + getting a decend quality to make sure you get 100q out of the hides to make only one set of armor.

- provide materials, fix critters and renew scavtables. thats what you are talking about since month. you always say you working on it right now but i only see new stuff is coming. fix what we have currently and after that implement new stuff which cause new problems.

2. item loss will avoid what was always a goal - trading between players.

3. cash loss might be fine for those who have a lot of cash, but not for new players.

4. debuffs. that would be someting i for sure can agree with. even if stat/skill loss can cause other problems imo. lower skills means you can raise your skills faster in this time couz you do not have to deal with softcaps. sure this could be fixed somehow but i wanted to mention it, if you seriously want to implement this.

Suggestions: 1st of all we would need a system to seperate kinds of death. combat (pvm), starving/die of thirst, pvp, falldmg.

i would suggest the screen of a player turns red ( or any prefered colour ) if he loose hp couz of food water - similar to the mist effect. a alart system which warn you if you didnt notice your bars. and every player died couz of that already, they are simply to small or covered by other stuff.

how about this. when a player die he become a ghost. lets push the ghost duration up to 15-30 minutes, add buttons instead of "spawn" which we have now. a player can choose to instandly respawn by dealing with one of the penealtys which are in the mainpost? if not he simply have to wait the time you set.

Quote Originally Posted by Alude View Post
    I prefer you loosing all skills, itme and you have to start complete new(creat new toon and so on). If it should be a survival game, tell me in which real world what we know we can save anythink to take over in a new life ?
    I think this will push the people think about how I play and what I doin´g in the game if I go hunting alone or in a team, and what I hunt or where I jump down and so on. I alsow don´t want that some boost (drink or plant) will be add in the game I think it will be more interesting to add a skill like doctor or medicine.
    [IRONIC=Pean;666]great idea, + we should start working on a singleplayer client to download. server wont be needed anymore [/IRONIC]

I'm answering as a former player of Xsyon, but will comment each of the suggestions you listed.

- Item duration loss.

No, I don't like that idea at all. Duration should be decreased over time and by use (corrosion, hits, wear and tear etc), NOT by dying. The repair option is nice but should only be possible by using a craft skill. Money sink? You might as well introduce NPC's with shops...

- Cash loss.

Loosing cash by dying? Loosing cash you wouldn't even bring on a raid/exploration? No, and only if you were stupid to bring it along and were robbed (after your death)...

- Item loss.

Could be fun especially if it emulated the fact that your body was stripped clean by revs in the neighbourhood. Of course you should respawn naked.

- XP loss..

Don't like it very much and hardly of any use.

- Temporary stat or skill loss. .

Even if dying and rising again doesn't make any sense except in game or a good book, this idea is half ok with me. Ghost running to a corpse might be one hell of a thing to do in Xsyon though, especially when the land is expanded.

In general it is, like Pean already mentioned, very important that you differentiate between different kinds of deaths. It doesn't make any sense with a death penalty that reduces duration if you died from thirst.

I don't like insurance systems at all. Who would offer the insurance?

I would prefer a system where you are debuffed when you respawn. Everything you wore when dying are still in a corpse where you died. To get everything back you have to re-claim it by walking there and loot it. If not it can be looted at any time by anyone. After a certain time the corpse dissolves with everything on it.

Duration should, as I suggested above, decrease over time and by use anyway.

Of the options listed, I am most in favor of Item Duration loss.

However, ONLY if there is a repair function added to the game.

The concerns I can see even with this is...
    Let's say you have a very fine weapon, and the very best armor you can get.
    The repair function needs to be able to restore the items you have back to 100% of what they were when you died.
    This will prevent complaints for the most part, and will be a way to promote further interactions between players,
    if the repairs require things that only players can provide.

For instance, for a master washoe chest piece, master level parts you can buy off other players. Even new players can
    take part in this by supplying armor or weapon parts, that can be used to repair gear with.

This will allow you to introduce death penalties, encourage player interaction, and provide a small money sink.

Second, Item loss as you describe it could be good too. Adding backpacks where revs can store multiple items they have looted off players will make it fun to hunt rev. Also this can encourage players to band together rather than just play solo, because som of these revs will become quite powerful, and the player may need assistance to get his items back.

I myself do not like the money or item loss, especially for new players.

Armor, weapon and tools equipped experiencing duration loss makes more sense to me. Some of the cheaper items could be tagged as BOD "Break on Death" if equipped during death. I myself do not mind losing any items in this game because it can all be remade if needed including carts. So I do not feel a repair system is needed.

A lot of players that put this game down complain that there is no one on. So forcing them to depend on other players when their aren't enough players now to make people happy would only make matters worse in my opinion.

To encourage players to make their own baskets and pouches, baskets and pouches not owned by player would drop with items in it where death occurs unless the death was caused by another player or on any tribe land. Items would not be allowed to be added to baskets and pouches that reach their duration limits. Once all items are removed from baskets and pouches that have reached their duration limits would be removed from the game.

XP loss or temp XP freeze is fine.