Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re:Ascencion, Afterlife, Fatality, and Misc Items

Alfred wrote:
    After reading most of Reefer's book, I must say that I agree with everything he has to say. Sure, permadeath hardly will be a feature, but if it was, those are the reasons for it.

Truly, if permadeath was implemented correctly, it would provide such organized social interaction that has never been seen before. The inevitable side-effect would, of course, be people crapping their pants IRL when ambushed by highwaymen.
    Permadeath is just a way to get a game with endless grined. imo

Reefer wrote:The mass of "hardcore" players isn't little. Again, refer to the fanbase of original UO, guys who are in every single mmo/forum and who probably outnumber the subscribers of any but the largest MMOs.
    According to Raph Koster, "hardcore" players are greatly outnumbered by casual gamers, so I wouldn't base anything in your full post on the former being heavy in population.

I've never heard of Raph Koster so I couldn't care less about his baseless opinions or pretty much anything he thinks he knows. Using him as an argument for the "Hardcore" playerbase being small is kind've like me arguing that betty crocker doesn't make food products because fred down the street said so.

Also most people who refer to themselves as "hardcore" pvpers and buy multiple accounts to do so, are actually this guy IRL.

As for Reefers post GJ!! Pretty much love every idea in that post, plus the printed version makes a very good foot stool. lol

Too bad it probably won't be that in depth but hopefully it will still be good.

Shrimps wrote:
    I've never heard of Raph Koster so I couldn't care less about his baseless opinions or pretty much anything he thinks he knows. Using him as an argument for the "Hardcore" playerbase being small is kind've like me arguing that betty crocker doesn't make food products because fred down the street said so.
    I think Koster might know a bit more than you with regard to speaking about games and what type of players dominate the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raph_Koster

Alfred wrote:
    Truly, if permadeath was implemented correctly, it would provide such organized social interaction that has never been seen before.
    100% agree.

Xsyon can get it.

Shrimps wrote:
    I've never heard of Raph Koster so I couldn't care less about his baseless opinions or pretty much anything he thinks he knows.
    This is your problem. You're playing MMOs (or even any kind of social computer game) and don't know anything about Raph Koster?

oh, my. now and then switch off your nintendo and read a book. or two.

pid73 wrote:
    Shrimps wrote:
    I've never heard of Raph Koster so I couldn't care less about his baseless opinions or pretty much anything he thinks he knows.
    This is your problem. You're playing MMOs (or even any kind of social computer game) and don't know anything about Raph Koster?

That's completely irrelevant.

That's like me saying.. That is your problem you're using electricity or any form of power and you know nothing of William Gilbert (discoverer of electricity in 1550 read a book).

Yes many regard Raph as an expert in MMO's but being an expert just mean you're less wrong in that particular field.

Experts said the Titanic was unsinkable, experts thought that the hindenberg was completely safe, experts used to think you could cure craziness by giving them a lobotomy, and currently experts believe that dark matter could destroy the universe and have created the large hadron collider to create dark matter and find out. smart? no. but some "expert" convinced the world that it's not completely as horrible as you'd think, presumably by promising that it'd be a quick and painless death.

Sorry if I don't put much faith in experts. Some of the worlds greatest things weren't created by experts, pennicilin, peanut butter, flight, cheese, the moving assembly line, the list goes on.

+nods+ @shrimps. great statement
    but pid was using some kind of humor I guess
    keep it rockin' ^^

Shrimps wrote:
    pid73 wrote:
    Shrimps wrote:

That's completely irrelevant.

That's like me saying.. That is your problem you're using electricity or any form of power and you know nothing of William Gilbert (discoverer of electricity in 1550 read a book).

Yes many regard Raph as an expert in MMO's but being an expert just mean you're less wrong in that particular field.

Experts said the Titanic was unsinkable, experts thought that the hindenberg was completely safe, experts used to think you could cure craziness by giving them a lobotomy, and currently experts believe that dark matter could destroy the universe and have created the large hadron collider to create dark matter and find out. smart? no. but some "expert" convinced the world that it's not completely as horrible as you'd think, presumably by promising that it'd be a quick and painless death.

Sorry if I don't put much faith in experts. Some of the worlds greatest things weren't created by experts, pennicilin, peanut butter, flight, cheese, the moving assembly line, the list goes on.
    Actually, by your description Koster would be one of those non-expert types.

And if I don't know Gilbert, Edison or Tesla then, actually, you are right and I have a problem.

This has become a world based on information and knowledge. Not knowing is a disadvantage. The less you know the more you are likely to end up in a lower social class, cleaning toilets all your life.

And this is an understatement.

Snake wrote:
    but pid was using some kind of humor I guess
    No I didn't did I? :angry:

Yes I did, didn't I? :laugh: