Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Due to the lag issues I've seen I believe this would be the easiest to go about changing into. I would much rather focus on other coding things than worried about lag and other issues that come with Mount and Dlade, LIF, and Darkfall/Mortal style combat systems.
    Have you experienced lag and desynch issues with those other games? If not, they are worth checking out to me. More info on this would be appreciated.

One reason I've started checking out other games is to see how they resolve desynch. As explained in the creature desynch thread, if a command like a jump or swing takes 500 ms to travel from one player to the server to another player (even ignoring processing time), there is a 500 ms visual delay between players.

There are definitely ways to work around this delay. For example, some games will send a command from a client to the server, the server then sends it back to all nearby players. This system does a much better job of synchronizing actions between players, but can feel sluggish for the client initiating an action. I believe that Darkfall does something like this with their 'momentum' system as it felt to me that actions were delayed based on my ping (the delay was more noticeable to me when connecting to a EU server).

Elder Scrolls online combat though laggy sometime is my favorite. you have the single and heavy attack with blocks as well. It also implements a few skills on the bar but not enough to make things too complex. You get to pick and choose based on your playing preference which in my opinion is the biggest draw as I fell my character is my own and not some cookie cutter build. The hit boxes are really awkard in that game though so the mount and blade elements and smaller hit boxes might fix that.

Here in UK i get 125ms ping, it means combat is almost unworkable for me invisible mobs kill me, people are running on the spot in front of me while actually behind me attacking me in the back and if i am loading a new zone and anything attacks im dead before i find out there is even a threat =(

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Here in UK i get 125ms ping, it means combat is almost unworkable for me invisible mobs kill me, people are running on the spot in front of me while actually behind me attacking me in the back and if i am loading a new zone and anything attacks im dead before i find out there is even a threat =(
    Maybe there is something wrong with your connection ?

I live in the UK also and my xsyon ping is NEVER below 140 and pve combat has always been fine for me.
    occaisonally mobs rubber band but thats about it.

pvp combat is a little different as most players are in the usa and they get a ping of 30 to 40, compared to my slower 140.

Sark

Quote Originally Posted by chojinuk View Post
    Maybe there is something wrong with your connection ?
    Sark
    I have a fiber line of around 70mbps or something similar so if it is my line i am being robbed lol, i reset my pc and its a little better now and i dont know what Jordi did but my ping for first time ever has started dropping below 125 to 100 - 120 (usually a steady 125ms unless i leave tribe) so it IS improving