Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
Hello everyone,

As most of you know I am working on a complete revision to creature AI, path finding and variables. These changes will affect combat and I can revise combat considerably, if needed, while undertaking this big 'creatures' task.

Recently I've started to briefly check out games that players have recommended or have mentioned as being similar to Xsyon.

The melee combat that I've seen so far is unimpressive to me. The basic systems I've seen so far are:
- Abilities assigned to keys (1,2,3,4) as in Warcraft, typically with a most effective 'rotation'.
- Simple mouse click to swing and attack.
- Mouse click to swing and attack with additional key press abilities.

Our current system was coded mostly by two programmers brought on to create a more involved melee combat system similar to Mount & Blade. I do realize there are issues with the system, especially due to latency. With the current revisions in progress I hope to eliminate or at least greatly reduce the problems. Still, a complex system of directional swings and charged attacks may just not be realistic for a game with players connecting to one server from locations around the world.

So, at this point, I would like to hear from you players.

Are there any MMOs (in particular, sandbox MMOs) that have melee combat that you really enjoy? What aspects of these systems do you most enjoy? What aspects of these systems would you change?

For now I'd like to look at melee combat only and focus on fun PvE combat, but keeping PvP in mind.

Make some recommendations and I will check them out. Thanks!
I am partial to the combat system in Elder Scrolls Online. I think it would work good in Xsyon.