Xsyon Citizen

How quality should apply to crafted items.

First: no matter how well your attributes and skills are you can't make iron better then steel period.
    I suggest to add quality to resource type not from how good your skills are, this will help both new players and veterans, new players will be able to find rare resources which will be higher quality and trade for thing they need and veterans will spent less time looking for better quality resources and spend more time doing other things, both win.
    To work with better quality resources you'll need a higher level skills, this is where your skills and attributes play a role.
    Scavenging will still work as it dose now, better scavenging skills will have better chance to find rare resources and more often.
    This will simplify coding for Xsyon and help economy in game.
    Last edited by znaiika; 10-08-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Iron is better than steel is come cases. It just depends on what you are using it for.
    Just in cooking alone Iron is used in some cases over Steel.
    There are also issues with magnetic.
    There is also issues when you want it to be more bendable without breaking. (Steel has a higher break point)

Anyways the QL of items in game do not apply to their uses, they apply to the shape that item is in. A raggy piece of cloth would be of low QL, while a pristine in mint condition piece would be of higher QL.

You are confusing the meaning of quality of a material with what you can do with the material.

Stainless Steel in game is a rarer metal than Iron. Which is why it's listed as Epic and Iron is common.

The whole point of a skill system the way it is in Xsyon is that high skilled players will get better materials and craft better things. If you make it where skill has no effect, you are removing the skill system.

I'm not sure how this would help the economy, what it would do is make it so no one needs skill at all.

Xsyon Citizen
    In game quality effect durability right? so, how is iron would have better durability then steel?
    Skill would be needed to craft out of that iron or steel etc... with low skill you won't be able to craft higher level anything by using higher level resources, but you will give ability to low level players to find higher level materials, and because they won't be able to craft anything yet due to low skills they would go out and trade those resources for what they need.

I agree with DDT on this one. No matter how skilled a tailor you are, a ragged, faded and frayed piece of cotton will never a silk robe make. Conversely a yard of pristine velvet in the hands of an amateur would never make a finely tailored garment. Scavaging is a skill that takes many hours of persistent work to master. The reward is finding that premium cotton or stainless steel. Every player has the potential to master the scavaging/tailoring or X skill. However, the player has to have the patience and perseverance to achieve it. Xsyon is a game of long term goals. It is achieving those long term goals that give a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction to a player. If there was no challenge and the rewards were dispensed immediately the game would lose its attraction to most players. There are plenty of easy peachy sandboxes and themepark games out there. Just go to mmorpg.com and take a look at the game list. There you can find plenty of easy reward no challenge games to suit a players fancy. Xsyon is a niche game. It is designed for players who like a crafting challenge and who are willing to persevere in order to achieve long term goals. Making it easier would negate the hard work that people have put into it over years of investment. I vote to leave it as is.

Xsyon Citizen
    What I propose is giving new players ability something to trade with, current system taking this ability to trade away from new players, anything they scavenge vets don't need and new players give up before they could grind their skills up high so they could find something trade with.
    Current system breaks economy not helping.
    Last edited by znaiika; 10-08-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    In game quality effect durability right? so, how is iron would have better durability then steel?
    Skill would be needed to craft out of that iron or steel etc... with low skill you won't be able to craft higher level anything by using higher level resources, but you will give ability to low level players to find higher level materials, and because they won't be able to craft anything yet due to low skills they would go out and trade those resources for what they need.
    I agree with you to a point about low skilled players should be able to find high QL items. HOWEVER, do not take that out to mean I think that's all they should find.
    I think the scav system should be changed to where Skilled scavers find 1QL to 100QL items just as Low Skill scavers should find 1QL to 100QL. Only thing is that Skilled scavers should find 100QL items a lot more than Low skill scavers like 10000x more.
    Having said that, I think the scav system should be changed completely too.

Currently a skilled scaver is just as likely to find nails as a low skilled scaver. Sure they might find 100 nails in a pull and a low skill will find 20. But the system is really really random and very hard for people to find what they need.

I think scavenging should pull up a chart of like 10 items and you can see 1 to 10 based on your skill. Then you choose which one you want. There could be low QL or high QL in that cart. Once it's removed from the list. You wont find it in that small area (like 10x10 meter) area for like 12 hours or 24 hours. Not just that person but ANYONE looking.

Anyways that's a short view. I explained this in a longer version long ago that people agreed with but likely never will be done.

All in all Iron and Stainless Steel are used for 2 very different things in some cases and durability is different for many different things.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I agree with you to a point about low skilled players should be able to find high QL items. HOWEVER, do not take that out to mean I think that's all they should find.
    I think the scav system should be changed to where Skilled scavers find 1QL to 100QL items just as Low Skill scavers should find 1QL to 100QL. Only thing is that Skilled scavers should find 100QL items a lot more than Low skill scavers like 10000x more.

Having said that, I think the scav system should be changed completely too.

Currently a skilled scaver is just as likely to find nails as a low skilled scaver. Sure they might find 100 nails in a pull and a low skill will find 20. But the system is really really random and very hard for people to find what they need.

I think scavenging should pull up a chart of like 10 items and you can see 1 to 10 based on your skill. Then you choose which one you want. There could be low QL or high QL in that cart. Once it's removed from the list. You wont find it in that small area (like 10x10 meter) area for like 12 hours or 24 hours. Not just that person but ANYONE looking.

Anyways that's a short view. I explained this in a longer version long ago that people agreed with but likely never will be done.

All in all Iron and Stainless Steel are used for 2 very different things in some cases and durability is different for many different things.
    Yes, you got it.

First: no matter how well your attributes and skills are you can't make iron better then steel period.
    I suggest to add quality to resource type not from how good your skills are, this will help both new players and veterans, new players will be able to find rare resources which will be higher quality and trade for thing they need and veterans will spent less time looking for better quality resources and spend more time doing other things, both win.
    To work with better quality resources you'll need a higher level skills, this is where your skills and attributes play a role.
    Scavenging will still work as it dose now, better scavenging skills will have better chance to find rare resources and more often.
    Im not seeing how this helps vets

Can you explain

"veterans will spend less time looking for better quality resources and spend more time doing other things"

I dont get how they can spend less time looking for better quality because a player who has 100
    in scavving, rock pullin or any resources gathering already gets 90+ quality on every pull.

How does your suggestion make that faster ?
    How do both sides win ?

All I see here a way for new players to get better quality without having to do wot the vets did and thats get 100 in the skill.

which is bypassing the grind of leveling the skill, again something that a vet has done

But you are all about punishing vets merely cos they have invested time in the game
    to grind skills up in the first place.

Besides there already is a way for both sides to win but it involves a new player pulling resources

new player can pull rock, grass, and sell it to a vet, the quality does not matter.
    New player gets $$ and grinds up their own skill/stats
    Vets gets grinding mats

both sides win.

oh but wait that means a new player has to spend hours pulling rock/grass
    this way vets are saving time not pulling resources.

btw if you think this is slavery it isnt cos if i vet cant or wont buy resources they will just go pull it themselves anyway.
    all that happens is that they keep their $$ and spend their time pulling resources.

Sark
    Last edited by chojinuk; 10-23-2015 at 09:36 AM.

?

Depends on application, and besides, In Xsyon you neither do Iron nor Steel. You find items made from these materials, thats all. (unless mining and forging went into the game when I was looking the other way).

It doesn't take long to level up scavenging, so how would this help in the long run?

So, you mean having a very good knife blade made by some highly skilled blacksmith would make you go "hmm, I wonder how I attach a handle to this piece of metal, which is sooo different from the other knife blade over there and which happens to be made by black fingered Clum Sy?"

Scavenging, as it works now, will let you find blueprints - one of the best currencies in the game. Is that what you want? Apart from that cheeky question, isn't what you suggest already in the game? Rare resources are easier found by higher skilled scavengers?