Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Magic?

Re:Magic?

for those who played the game which shall not be named, i expect this to look and feel much the same. to include the effects of magic.

so yes, even after it is implemented, there will probbably be some debate as to its actual effect, no one will see a fireball there will be no suber buff spells. think siplifying hard tasks, getting better odds of good gear, better odds of a good strike. but think like 10-20% boost, nothing more.

JetJon wrote:
    for those who played the game which shall not be named, i expect this to look and feel much the same. to include the effects of magic.

hay thar, i r teh magic knite-wizord JETJON! i r holdin NOT NAMED GAYM!!!!

Alfred wrote:
    So... run out of arguments then?

Veldern wrote:
    Alfred wrote:
    So... run out of arguments then?
    It's just that they have been stated far too many times to be repeated. He obviously didn't ready any, so I'll be playing by his rules.

Xsyon Citizen

Hurk wrote:
    Again, its up for interpretation. 'Sorcery' of old was the result of alchemy and science which dumbfounded the layman.
    How is it up for interpretation when applied to Xyson, not the real world? This is Jordi's game. His vision. The game he has wanted to create for a long time. These are his visions. Why compare him to devs of other companies. A friend and myself sat down years ago, EQ/DAOC days and laid out plans for a game if we ever had the time and money. Guess what, the game had magic. Where we copying all those other devs years ago? No, we came up with our system that happened to include magic because we liked it.

As Jadzia has kindly pointed out the home page contains all this information. This is not a sci-fi post-apoc world. This is an alternate reality where the apocalypse(the four horsemen included) is currently under way and gods have returned, magic along with them. If this isn't the game you want, then look elsewhere don't expect it to change.

tldr version - This is Jordi's game, his vision, and the homepage clearly states science has been replaced with "magic" in an alternate reality.

Xsyon Citizen

Diarmue wrote:
    Hurk wrote:
    Again, its up for interpretation. 'Sorcery' of old was the result of alchemy and science which dumbfounded the layman.
    How is it up for interpretation when applied to Xyson, not the real world? This is Jordi's game. His vision. The game he has wanted to create for a long time. These are his visions. Why compare him to devs of other companies. A friend and myself sat down years ago, EQ/DAOC days and laid out plans for a game if we ever had the time and money. Guess what, the game had magic. Where we copying all those other devs years ago? No, we came up with our system that happened to include magic because we liked it.

As Jadzia has kindly pointed out the home page contains all this information. This is not a sci-fi post-apoc world. This is an alternate reality where the apocalypse(the four horsemen included) is currently under way and gods have returned, magic along with them. If this isn't the game you want, then look elsewhere don't expect it to change.

tldr version - This is Jordi's game, his vision, and the homepage clearly states science has been replaced with "magic" in an alternate reality.
    You are right. Sorcery replaces science. This is Jordi's game and he can do what he wants to. This said one needs to look at the wording, the about page, the features page and the FAQ. If this was going to have as much sorcery (magic) as lets say WOW, GW or Aion it would be sprawled with terms all throughout the website let alone screen shots showing it. Why? Because it would have let those magic mage lovers know this is a game for them and would be advertised as such.

Yes, there will be sorcery or some form of it. It will not most likely turn into a magic mage battle fest like the games I mentioned above. It will be in game but be subtle and flow with the world and surroundings. You will see more knives, blades, axes, polearms, spears, clubs, bows, x-bows and types of guns through history than you will see anything resembling fireballs and word powers. I could be wrong but going off what is shown now and written, it is closer to what I have said than what you or other have said.

Jordi of course can do what he wants to and change or add what he wants to. I don't presume to know what his plans are but to limited the usage of the word magic to sorcery and then not see the word ever again throughout the site, makes me think he is being careful not to give away all ideas or is being careful not to make it sound to magic-ee. You just have to read the context within the content to see what the majority of this game will have, and it's not in one sentence within on paragraph. We will have to wait and see.

I'd like magic, but simple magic. Two specific spells come to mind: Conjure Beer, Conjure Bacon. Add a sword, bow, arrows, and a spiffy loincloth, and I'm good.

For me, if I want magic, and I'm referencing a book with a lot of magic, I want to be like the one character in Harry Dresden Books, in one particular fight. I want to be like Injun Joe (yes, that is the name of the character) when he fights the skin walker in Proven Guilty. Just the ability to morph shapes, into a large variety. heck, I wouldn't care if it didn't give any extra abilities, I would like it as fluff. Only thing I would say, if the creatures are non-fighting, they would act as a type of camouflage, hiding your characters name, and untargeting someone that is targeting you. That's the primary magic I want.

Others that I would like, and now I'm referencing several different things for a point of reference. Faerie Fire, Spirit of the Wolf (since, to the best of my knowledge, we can only run at this point), and, well actually, that's all I can think of right now at least for named spells. I more want utility spells instead of outright DD, and DOT spells. Maybe later on in the game, once more items have become unlocked, I would like to see a couple NPC mind control abilities, even if it makes an aggressive NPC become a lit more passive, can't remember the name of the EQ spell that did that....

Diarmue wrote:
    Hurk wrote:

Well done! You really should work for a Political Party the way you twist my argument as being opposed to the Devs at the same time licking their arses and then reinterpreting everything so that it comes in line with your personal vision while digressing that it is the 'founder's' vision.

Well done indeed.

Oh, anyone believing a word of Diarmue's garbage can go back and re-read my posts then decide for yourself.