Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re:Terraforming wasted?

I know there has to be limits on terraforming, but to completely limit it is to loose many customers, as suggested, having a grid cool down or even having to pay for terraforming. But limiting it almost into non existence is going to kill the game.

Spitfire5 wrote:
    Completely close off a entrance and reopen it by terraforming everytime you want access in or out of the city.
    Yep. That's the first thing I thought about when I initially saw terraforming in the feature list. A big "oops" by the devs if they don't have something to combat that already.

sicarius wrote:
    I know there has to be limits on terraforming, but to completely limit it is to loose many customers, as suggested, having a grid cool down or even having to pay for terraforming. But limiting it almost into non existence is going to kill the game.
    If Xsyon is basing potential success on terraforming... It doesn't have a chance to begin with.

Spitfire5 wrote:
    Completely close off a entrance and reopen it by terraforming everytime you want access in or out of the city.
    I like this idea

But seriously, this is an interesting question.... I don't see how can this be avoided, even if terraforming has a cost, even if it needs permission from the tribe leader that won't stop tribes to do that. The only solution I can think of if noone is allowed to build anything which cannot be jumped through...but in this case there is no point of walls.

I'd like to ask Wurm players, how is terraforming there ? Does people mess up the landscape ? Is everyone free to do whatever they want or its limited by areas or permissions ?

Luckily i asked this question as well...

"2) You can limit entry points to a city. When we implement gates, tribe members can pass freely. Enemies can't."

So i'm guessing if someone terraform blocks, they'll be considered a bitch :P Mayb something that turns off terraforming when a enemy is in the city.. Just so they can't block the gate once you get in there. Would be sort of a exploit..

Spitfire5 wrote:
    Luckily i asked this question as well...

"2) You can limit entry points to a city. When we implement gates, tribe members can pass freely. Enemies can't."

So i'm guessing if someone terraform blocks, they'll be considered a bitch :P Mayb something that turns off terraforming when a enemy is in the city.. Just so they can't block the gate once you get in there. Would be sort of a exploit..
    Blocking terraforming during a village siege is probably a good idea, it would cause a crazy mess during it.

If we leave out the PvP aspect for now (since we have no idea how sieges will work after Prelude), does anyone see any other possible exploit ? ( If I remember well it was announced that there will be a height limit for terraforming.)

Without serious limits, I foresee a future award from MMORPG.com if/when Xsyon gets 5k, 10k, 15k, (whatever) subscriptions:

Most Ridiculous Looking Gameworld

Xsyon

*applause and laughter*

The more I think about it, the more I see a need for a good amount of limits that many of us won't like.

JCatano wrote:
    Without serious limits, I foresee a future award from MMORPG.com if/when Xsyon gets 5k, 10k, 15k, (whatever) subscriptions:

Xsyon

*applause and laughter*

The more I think about it, the more I see a need for a good amount of limits that many of us won't like.
    Since everyone is only able to terraform inside his own tribe territory, I don't see why would he mess the land up. As far as I know Wurm has terraforming, and still it hasn't won your nice award. I wonder how they avoided it there.

Jadzia wrote:
    I'd like to ask Wurm players, how is terraforming there ? Does people mess up the landscape ? Is everyone free to do whatever they want or its limited by areas or permissions ?
    At the very lest on the free server, you don't need permission, and yes some asshole will come in and sand over your hill. I think once you pay for other servers, you can not terraform unless your on the deed.

One of those things I guess, I personally feel you are too worried about it. Wurm doesn't have a huge greifing problem with terraforming and there are no formal limits on it. Or at least when I played about 6 months ago, honestly people just go out and terraform a little, and if a particular town doesn't like the landscape around them, they change it. Its to the point where one person can't change the land scape enough to seriously grief people.

Just put time limits on please, learn a lesson from wurm. Its worked pretty well so far.

Limits on terraforming would put an end to griefers without destroying the terraforming for the game. Also a place to report

Jadzia wrote:
    JCatano wrote:

Xsyon

*applause and laughter*

Since everyone is only able to terraform inside his own tribe territory, I don't see why would he mess the land up. As far as I know Wurm has terraforming, and still it hasn't won your nice award. I wonder how they avoided it there.