Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

03/08/2016 - Feedback Request Cash

The Test Server currently is partially updated with a future change to consolidate cash currency (dollar bills) and attach them to your player instead of having cash as an item stored in packs.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Test: (Edited: 03-14-2016)

- Cash is added to the player owning the container holding the cash. Your cash total can be checked on your Pack Panel.

- Cash stacks are NOT currently removed and remain in your containers. This was done so players can better judge what cash total they expect to have.

- Cash stacks should display the current 'owner'. If there is no technical owner the cash stack should display 'Property of Nobody'. If the technical owner is a deleted character, the cash stack should display 'Property of Not Found'. The current owner is NOT being used to assign cash to players but I turned this on to make better sense of the previous test that did assign cash to the technical owner.

My questions to players:

- Is your current cash total what it should be? (based on cash in containers that you own)

- Does this system make better sense or should cash be assigned to the technical owner (as in the first test)?

- Would you like to see your cash total displayed somewhere else? (It will also show in the Trade Panel / Trade Totem Panel when I'm done with this).

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Previous Test: (Not currently on the Test Server)

- All current cash items have been removed from packs and bins.
    - Cash amounts have been assigned to the player marked as the 'owner' for each stack of bills.
    - Stacks of cash without an 'owner' have been assigned to the 'owner' of the container holding the stack.
    - Your cash total now shows up in the title bar of your Packs Panel.
    Last edited by Xsyon; 03-14-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Ok...so...

The apocalypse is in essence over and we are starting over. like what happened in the past is still so today...nails are still as good as cash. We scavenge the scrap piles and find all kinds off goodies but they have to be stored for future use.

Now...like I've stated a few times in the past...after an apocalypse there will be many types of people trying to rebuild...some...don't like to work and sweat but will kill and steal to get what they want.

If I kill someone in game and loot his body...will the cash be there for me to take? and if I find an abandoned camp will the cash be there for me to loot? In essence you have removed an item that makes looting a camp or or killing someone viable.

Im sorry but as nice as we would like the future to be after an event like this...there will still be evil people...unless of course this is just another way for the game to become all PVE ( Note: I like pvp but I am not good at it). full loot should remain full loot so if Im carrying all my cash it should be lootable. I can see why this might be done since its done in almost all other games.

Other than that, from what I saw is that your coding is working as intended...Bins have been cleared, I have a cash amount assigned to me which also looks correct for what I had on PVE. I cant check the cash without an owner since I do not know of someone that had cash but left the game and deleted their char.

I have only looked briefly at test but I can say unequivocally that the cash amount for my character is MUCH lower than it should be yet all locations where cash was stored are cleared out. If you keep the same code when this goes live I will make sure to put all cash on my character but I'm still not sure that would ensure that it gets transferred correctly?

Also, Ooloo makes good points. Effectively after this change cash will only be obtainable scavenged or though trade/sales and never again as abandoned loot. And, I agree, that's a bit of a let down.

On an aside, when I log into test my game window is very small and changing it to the highest setting still does not fill my screen. I'm not sure what's going on there..?

The amount of cash seems about right, but not as much as it would have been if I had been warned to move cash out of bins i don't own.

Not sure of the rational for this change. It would solve the problem of not having enough cash on hand if you are half way across the map from home, but make a stash of cash available to other tribe members impossible.

The screen resolution and volume settings were reset by this update, but I was able to successfully reset them.

If the amount of cash you're seeing is less then it should be.....

it MAY be because of this line that jordi said..

"- Cash amounts have been assigned to the player marked as the 'owner' for each stack of bills."

Currently we cant see any info or names on who OWNS a stack of bills, that info was removed or hidden.

If like many people who find cash in baskets and then place it in another basket, does that mean
    its still owned by the player whose name is on the stack, even though we cant see the name ?

SO Does this mean before you implement this change, just to be safe we should use the trade
    window to get our names on these stacks of bills just incase they are in a bin that hasnt got our
    name on and its a stack of cash we found in a bin and will still have the original owners name on ?

Confused ? i know i am

sark

Quote Originally Posted by chojinuk View Post
    If the amount of cash you're seeing is less then it should be.....

it MAY be because of this line that jordi said..

"- Cash amounts have been assigned to the player marked as the 'owner' for each stack of bills."

Currently we cant see any info or names on who OWNS a stack of bills, that info was removed or hidden.

If like many people who find cash in baskets and then place it in another basket, does that mean
    its still owned by the player whose name is on the stack, even though we cant see the name ?

SO Does this mean before you implement this change, just to be safe we should use the trade
    window to get our names on these stacks of bills just incase they are in a bin that hasnt got our
    name on and its a stack of cash we found in a bin and will still have the original owners name on ?

Confused ? i know i am

sark

This has high potential to be the culprit. If 'owner' can't be seen by a player but is still assigned to the cash then

"- Stacks of cash without an 'owner' have been assigned to the 'owner' of the container holding the stack."

is not occurring. Most all of my dollar bill have no name on them but are in baskets that I own...

After reading the latest posts I logged onto the Pve server which I only do to refresh my char there...I looked at my dollars and compared to what was on test and I was 300K short on test ( I know I said it looked like the correct amount in my first post but srry...I don't play Pve so I was wrong )...even tho the other dollars were in a backpack with my name on it...it was not accounted for...On Pvp this would have been devastating because I have over 1 mil that is in a backpack with my name on it but yet not directly acquired by me yet in my possession. (looted)

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try another run with a different strategy. Instead of using the current 'owner' as a priority, cash will first be assigned to the owner of the current container holding that cash. I will also leave the actual cash in game with the next test so that it's easier to calculate how much cash you think should be assigned to your character. I will also set up cash so that you can see the current official owner for each stack.

This is not a change that will be implemented on the Main Servers right away but it's been on my list for a very long time so I've started taking the initial steps to get this working properly.

There are several reasons I want to implement the system of having cash attached to players rather than as a separate inventory item.

1) This system is common to MMOs and familiar to players.

2) This is the system I originally intended to have in game. The current system was put in place as players requested that actual currency used would be up to players. This hasn't worked out well and a single currency is best for all systems and building functions to work properly.

3) It will facilitate future systems such as the planned real estate system where cash could be automatically withdrawn from a player's account.

4) It could be used to protect a player's stash of cash from theft (on the War Server). This could make cash more valuable as it would be the only item that couldn't be looted. Then again it could be used to implement a 'pick pocketing' skill (which was part of my original design) that would only access cash.

Regarding looting cash from abandoned tribes: Yes, this would no longer be possible. I don't think the current system has been beneficial for the game. What's happened is that a few players have most of the in game cash and many have next to nothing. This imbalance is one of the issues affecting trade using cash as the currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooloo View Post
    because I have over 1 mil that is in a backpack with my name on it but yet not directly acquired by me yet in my possession. (looted)
    Clearly some of us really benefited by playing the game of attrition

The Test Server is now open with a different method of adding cash to players.

I've set up the following:

- Cash is added to the player owning the container holding the cash. Your cash total can be checked on your Pack Panel.

- Cash stacks are NOT currently removed and remain in your containers. This was done so players can better judge what cash total they expect to have.

- Cash stacks should display the current 'owner'. If there is no technical owner the cash stack should display 'Property of Nobody'. If the technical owner is a deleted character, the cash stack should display 'Property of Not Found'. The current owner is NOT being used to assign cash to players but I turned this on to make better sense of the previous test that did assign cash to the technical owner.

My questions to players:

- Is your current cash total what it should be? (based on cash in containers that you own)

- Does this system make better sense or should cash be assigned to the technical owner (as in the first test)?

Thanks!