Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re:Open World PvP, option?

Like it or not PVP makes crafting actually useful.

Look at games where there is no pvp and no loss for death in PVP, crafting is practicaly useless.

You craft it once and there is never a need for it again since you can't lose it. sure there is loss through durability, but the rate at which that happens is usually very slow and would still make it pointless.

For crafting, and rescource gathering to really be useful there has to be destruction, there needs to be some way that these items are being lost quickly so that the economy isn't stagnant.

As a crafter you should be begging for more pvp so that you can sell more armor/weapons to people who wear them out or lose them, and the more of a demand there is, the more profit you can make.

Especially in a game with a softcap on skills, fighters are not going to be using their skill allowance on crafting, which means that crafters will be needed.

Just an fyi, I dropped this thread days ago when I saw an overwhelming majority against it.

Open World PvP will be ingame, period.

Whether it can work or not and still be profitable is still to be seen.

Regradless, I will be playing(hopefully soon) and will give it a try.

Kunra wrote:
    Just an fyi, I dropped this thread days ago when I saw an overwhelming majority against it.

Open World PvP will be ingame, period.

Whether it can work or not and still be profitable is still to be seen.

Regradless, I will be playing(hopefully soon) and will give it a try.
    I am quite sure the majority is against it, but more important the devs vision is against it. Also, don't be misled to believe that the vocal forum goers represent the majority. It rarely is the case. They just represent the forum community which is always a relatively small portion of a population base no matter what they try to get you to believe.

I used to hate open pvp, thinking of it as simply a griefers' paradise.

Then I played a few full pvp, open loot games. I'm not a pvper, but now I prefer full pvp games. I generally find the communities in open pvp games to be much more pleasant.

Open pvp is great for the economy of a game, it also allows some measure of self policing. Someone being a jerk? Kill them, or get a friend to kill them if you're not a combat character. As unhappy as I am about single character per server, I do have to admit that SCS *will* help mitigate the problem with griefers. If you are forced to live with the consequences of your actions, and can't just create a new alt to get away from it, then it becomes less of a problem.

I'm a big fan of risk. With great risk comes a real feeling of accomplishment. Exploring a game is exciting if there's the risk of running into someone who will kill you and take your stuff. Darkfall had so many problems, but at the same time, exploring it was great fun, because I had to be wary, and ran the risk of losing everything everytime I went outside. I hired people to protect me when I was harvesting, my crafted items were in constant demand - I simply can't deny that open pvp and full loot improve a game.

The trick is getting it right.

I really don't see crafters having much of a risk in this game unless they are killed by a warring tribe member. I am sure as hell not going to gank someone for the log strapped to his back then walk painfully slow back to my stash to store it (which I don't think you can do with logs anyway). A full inventory + resources on your back, make you so slow that you'd probably get rekilled by that same person you killed before you even made it back.

The resources in the game seem pretty abundant and you can only carry a few things on you. It's just not worth killing someone over. You could take a chance (and the karma hit) and kill someone hoping that in one of the like 12 inventory slots, they have something worth taking, but to me, it's just not worth the kill.

The only risk I see is of those players that will kill you just because they know you've been carrying that log for a while and still have a long way to go and they want to see you suffer, but those childish types of players are few and far between.

jessebfox wrote:
    I am quite sure the majority is against it, but more important the devs vision is against it. Also, don't be misled to believe that the vocal forum goers represent the majority. It rarely is the case. They just represent the forum community which is always a relatively small portion of a population base no matter what they try to get you to believe.
    I used to think this was universally true until I played Darkfall, its definitely an exception. I think there're as many active on the forums as in game and a lot of the posting is about a) The game politics & b) The game mechanics. Given that this game may attract a lot of ex-DF players and will undoubtably have a strong political element, the forums may in turn be used by a big chunk of the playerbase.

A lot of maybe's :blush:

Primavera wrote:
    jessebfox wrote:
    I used to think this was universally true until I played Darkfall, its definitely an exception. I think there're as many active on the forums as in game and a lot of the posting is about a) The game politics & b) The game mechanics. Given that this game may attract a lot of ex-DF players and will undoubtably have a strong political element, the forums may in turn be used by a big chunk of the playerbase.

A lot of maybe's :blush:
    I disagree, when you look at forums for DF for instance, at one time there is over 1000 people playing (Europe server about a year ago) there were barely 100 or so active people, and another 100 that posted every once in awhile, thats not a big chunk at all.

I'm talking about now though, not a year ago. Go to the DF forums and look at most users online - it was November 2009 at 6972. At this moment there are 455 active users online. Given that DF has a low game population these numbers are massive.