Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

06/13/2016 - Feedback Request - Test Server Optimizations

The current Test Server build has undergone major code optimizations. These may not be obvious to players but in general serve to improve performance and memory use, prevent crashes and other issues and streamline the code.

These revisions include:
    - Corrected and improved occlusion system. This should improve frame rate.
    - Revised text / string uses. This can affect all text in game (chat, any displays with text).
    - Optimized array systems. This can affect anything that is stored in arrays (inventory, meshes, textures).
    - Optimized networking packets. This slightly reduces the amount of data sent and received and primarily affects inventory and tool tip packets.

These optimizations are in progress and there may be some new issues that have not yet been noticed.

If you notice any new problems that do not exist on the Main Servers, please post them in this thread.

Things to check include:
    - Any text input and displays including chat, tool tips, totem info, items for trade, quests, etc.
    - All aspects of building
    - Quest creation, viewing and completion
    - Inventory actions
    - Anything you can think of!

Thanks!

Edit: June 20 2016

Occlusion should be correct and ready for the Main Servers now. I'll wait for feedback on any new issues this week before making this patch public.
    Last edited by Xsyon; 06-20-2016 at 09:07 PM.

The white text for the success/failure of actions (You can't find any useful plants here) comes and goes.

Buying from a trade totem crashes the client but upon reloading the trade has gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    The white text for the success/failure of actions (You can't find any useful plants here) comes and goes.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain in more detail? (I foraged for a while and the messages seemed to be working correctly.

Buying from a trade totem crashes the client but upon reloading the trade has gone through.
    Can you reproduce this or did it crash when buying a specific item. I also tested this with many trades and didn't crash. If you crash again, please check if you get a crash log. If you do generate a crash log, please send it through the help desk and I'll take a look.

Thanks!

Was purchasing pouches for character with no pouches. Will check for crash logs tomorrow.

Messages were not just for foraging, e.g. scavenging, crafting, skill gains. After being logged in for several minutes they disappear and then come back after a few more minutes.

Was purchasing pouches for character with no pouches. Will check for crash logs tomorrow.
    Ok, thanks. When I have more information I'll try to test the exact situation. (If you could tell me the tribe you were buying from it could help also).

Messages were not just for foraging, e.g. scavenging, crafting, skill gains. After being logged in for several minutes they disappear and then come back after a few more minutes.
    Do you mean the messages in the center of the screen or the messages in the chat box display?

Buying from tribe Vindicated, 979-343:513. Today was able to buy planer with no problems, but crashed after buying another pouch.

The missing messages I was referring to were the messages in the center of the screen. The messages did appear in the System tab of the chat box. Today I did not see the problem

I've restarted the Test Server with a fix for the crash buying from the trade totem.

If you see the problem with the text messages again, let me know. I haven't seen a problem with any of the center screen message.

Thanks!

Bought pouch from totem and didn't crash today. Good work.

Had to start a new character on test and had no text messages until I logged off and back on. It appeared that I had some inventory problems after relogging (was missing all dollars and had starting pants back).

Can crash consistently on Mist Trading Posts by selecting global and sorting by distance. Will submit a ticket and crash log.

I haven't been able to reproduce any issues with the text messages or inventory.

When you re-logged with your new characters and items were different:
    - Did you crash and then re-log?
    - Did you log out normally and re-log shortly after?
    - Did you re-log after some time?

I did stop and restart the server several times and did roll back data during some of the restarts.

With the text messages, so basically you were performing actions (like foraging) and no text showed up at the center of the screen until you re-logged, correct?

Thanks!

The time my inventory was not correct may have been from a short (c. 10 min.) rollback. As I remember it, I didn' t crash or log normally but the server just stopped responding. I stayed off for 30 min.-1 hr.

Yes, the white text at the center of the screen only showed up after the first time I re-logged with a new character.