Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will not pretend that I have the ability or resources to create a combat system to rival new combat focused games with multi-million dollar budgets.
    ? what are you talking about ?

Both life is feudal and last oasis where made by smaller studios on limited budgets, I'm not sure why you seem to think any game made in the last couple years is a multi-million dollar budget, but this is a strawman that isn't true.

You can have decent combat without a multi-million dollar budget.

Xsyon combat is already EXTREMELY CLOSE to last oasis, again, the problem with combat is mainly the CREATURES not the PLAYERS being incomplete.

This again means that the creatures are the problem, I have offered many suggestions to fix that in my posts here, but focusing on the player by giving them extra skills does not address ANY of the problems with creatures in combat that makes it "boring and broken feeling"

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Xsyon combat is already EXTREMELY CLOSE to last oasis, again, the problem with combat is mainly the CREATURES not the PLAYERS being incomplete.

This again means that the creatures are the problem, I have offered many suggestions to fix that in my posts here, but focusing on the player by giving them extra skills does not address ANY of the problems with creatures in combat that makes it "boring and broken feeling"

I agree that creatures are a large part of the issue with combat. If you are going to use the Mount and Blade (Last Oasis) system, you will want to slow down their attacks and visually show which direction they are attacking, to allow players to dodge or parry the action correctly.

If you are going to go with skills, giving them powers that they used, you would still want to visually show players that they are doing a special attack, so players can dodge or parry, or use a special skill themselves to counter it.
    Last edited by MrDDT; 06-13-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    ? what are you talking about ?
    Both life is feudal and last oasis where made by smaller studios on limited budgets
    The team behind Last Oasis has at least 30 developers and the budget to hire at least 10 more. They started off with creators with combat modding experience and use the Unreal Engine which is a huge boost for development. (I wish I had that available when I started Xsyon.)

The team behind Life Is Feudal has at least 90 developers.

Please explain to me how those teams are smaller studios that one person, me.

I am absolutely certain that they are operating on a much larger budget than I am. It would cost me a bare minimum of 1 million per year to maintain a team of 30 developers and this would have to be a remote team without US developers.

I am not saying we can't have decent combat. I am saying to have realistic expectations.

Again I will address the actual suggestions that I can decipher from these rants in another post.