Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andius View Post
    And every asset, of every city, and every homestead would be reduced to ashes before morning. People aren't always online to protect their assets, and there isn't even a real defenders advantage yet given the lack of ranged weapons. It would be mobs of greifers roaming around destroying everything in their path. If any resistance was met, they would simply come back after they went to bed. They could change the name to "Naked players with pre-order weapons online." My solution to this problem is found here:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...er-territories

For this topic lets suffice to say, I do not think that is a valid substitute for a death penalty.
    That's crap. I've played games w/asset destruction and that just doesn't happen. Obviously you don't make it as easy as clear cutting a forest and you allow defenders to prepare, but there's an easy way to balance the system that you don't need more artificial features to be programmed in to make pvp viable.

Were those games like EVE where assets are only controlled by huge alliances and have automated NPC denfeses, games like Darkfall, where towns again are controlled by at minimum, a large clan, and you only have to repair them if they are "destroyed" rather than rebuilding from scratch, and you have to use up expensive items to do asset damage, or games like the Wild in Wurm where your bases are constantly protected by a bunch of NPC uberguards?

In this game, there are no NPCs, and you can have 1 man homesteads. There is no starter area where players are safe before they are eased into the kind of chaotic PVP filled environment you find in these games. There is no word of special items needed for asset destruction, and items don't even have decay yet. So maybe, the largest tribes in the game would do ok. But we are not in the right conditions to allow asset destruction of any form yet, and the simple addition of gates won't change that.

Death penalty... Meh.

Wound system... Copy SWG's wound and wound healing mechanics, as well as the Battle Fatigue system.

Raph Koster is much smarter game system-wise than this entire forum put together.

P.S. -

I'm starting to think you're xpiher from Darkfall. If so... Oh jeezus (not a good thing).

If you've met me on another game, 90% chance the name was Andius. 100% chance on Darkfall.

And I know nothing about SWG, I did not get the chance to play it before they ruined it. I however have used a wound system similar to what I am suggesting on Wurm, and it was the most fun healing people I have ever had in a game.

How about if you die the person who killed gets a dollar from your bank account.

I think the death penalty is a must, the length of time should be 5-10 min imo, longer than that may ruin future major battles between tribes. Say you are defending your territory and your tribe gets wiped from the first round of fighting, the last thing you want to do is wait half an hour to get back in the battle. The wound system is something I have never experienced, but would add another level of excitement to the game even if it is more basic than what the OP suggests. Great ideas hope the Devs consider something like this.

I think you should have to walk back to your totem to be reborn when you die. I would also like to see very harsh permadeath similar to H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Andius View Post
    If you've met me on another game, 90% chance the name was Andius. 100% chance on Darkfall.

And I know nothing about SWG, I did not get the chance to play it before they ruined it. I however have used a wound system similar to what I am suggesting on Wurm, and it was the most fun healing people I have ever had in a game.
    Wounds would accumulate over time to your Heal/Action (Stamina)/Mind (Mana) bars. Example...

Before fighting 4-5 mobs or players:

Health - 1200
    Action - 900
    Mind - 600

After fighting 4-5 mobs or players and regening your HAM bar (assuming you took damage) -

Health - 1197 / 1200
    Action - 898 / 900
    Mind - 598 / 600

In order to get your HAM back to optimal function you'd need to be, or have, a Medic or Doctor heal your wounds. Campfires would heal your wounds at a much slower pace.

Battle Fatigue... BF accumulates over time during combat. If you fought one mob or person it may raise by a few depending on the length of combat. If you fought 20 mobs or players, it might raise 10-20. It all depends on the circumstances. Battle Fatigue gradually lowers the effectiveness of your skills as it raises.

In order to heal BF you would have to watch or listen to an Entertainer (player profession).

Something like that in Xsyon would be alright with me. We already have campfires. Medical skills are going to in at some point. Some sort of Battle Fatigue could be healed by campfires, too.

Here's a good death penalty: When you die, some of stuff you have gets destroyed, that is, completely removed from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Here's a good death penalty: When you die, some of stuff you have gets destroyed, that is, completely removed from the game.
    No.

You just don't want someone being awarded with all of your stuff. Anything to irk "PvP'ers" in a game with looting always seems to permeate your posts, whether it's veiled or outright.

Items will be removed from the game when decay is on. He can adjust the decay rate as needed.