Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.

I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.
    By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Very true. People will be dying on purpose to generate loot.

Eh, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than has been about preorder weapons, but basically: The starter equipment. Perhaps what you would spawn with upon character creation. I actually think that each character should start the game with one of each type of starter tool/weapon anyway.

If I die in Eve-online and have nothing to my name, as soon as I dock or respawn at a station, then the game gives me the starter ship, the starter guns, and the starter mining laser. This way I can get back into mining or back into combat without having to start all over or beg in chat and pray that someone is kind enough to take pity on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    Yeah, but that's a balance problem. The devs HAVE to make starter equipment nearly worthless and useless. Starter equipment should be just that--equipment that is used to get your character started.

Yeah, but that's a balance problem. The devs HAVE to make starter equipment nearly worthless and useless. Starter equipment should be just that--equipment that is used to get your character started.
    I am fine with starter tools - as long as they can't be traded or looted.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    I am fine with starter tools - as long as they can't be traded or looted.
    Well, that would fix the problem of people constantly dying and respawning to trade them, but it does nothing to prevent people from constantly relying on them. They STILL need to be balanced to be nearly useless. Infact, they could even have infinite durability; the key is to make it so that people only want use them as a last resort.

Starter tools are nearly worthless. If you start with tool crafting and scavenging, you can make better tools as soon as you have the recipes.

Pre-order weapons are not the best in the game. I can scavenge and make weapons that are better in every way except durability. And you can bet I'll be using Pioneer tools to make the highest quality, lowest durability weapons possible because I want repeat customers.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    Starter tools are nearly worthless. If you start with tool crafting and scavenging, you can make better tools as soon as you have the recipes.

Pre-order weapons are not the best in the game. I can scavenge and make weapons that are better in every way except durability. And you can bet I'll be using Pioneer tools to make the highest quality, lowest durability weapons possible because I want repeat customers.

Ravelli
    I don't think its a good business plan to design weapons that are effective and fragile. Both durability and efficacy will be important for repeat customers.

As for starter soulbound tools -- make it so you CAN NOT gain skill on them. Darkfall figured this out a little too late -- at launch, people would take their soulbound starter staves and cast magic into nothing for hours to get skill, and they would swing their soulbound starter swords on people and get maxed weapon mastery.

Anything people start with, respawn with, and can't break, trade, or loot, should NEVER get skill from using them. They should be for the sole purpose of getting to the point that they can make good tools or products with.

They could do away with giving starter tools entirely - if they made recipes for the starter tools which didn't require tools at all. A rock, string , and branch makes a hammer.