Thread: Currency

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let's continue then

What I'm worried about is that if we use common stackable item used in crafting like nails or screws(and it has to be common if we want to use it like money; saw blade will be worth a lot of nails) someone(tribe or wealthy trader) will start to buy all the nails he can find. This will create huge demand on "nails" and raise their vaule insanely. Then he can buy all the rare items with it becouse they might reach simmilar value.

It's an absract scenario. It'll be hard to do that and even harder if we won't have global trading system, but it can happen and someone will probably try it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Let's continue then

What I'm worried about is that if we use common stackable item used in crafting like nails or screws(and it has to be common if we want to use it like money; saw blade will be worth a lot of nails) someone(tribe or wealthy trader) will start to buy all the nails he can find. This will create huge demand on "nails" and raise their vaule insanely. Then he can buy all the rare items with it becouse they might reach simmilar value.

It's an absract scenario. It'll be hard to do that and even harder if we won't have global trading system, but it can happen and someone will probably try it.
    But what do they buy the nails with? Your scenario is so abstract because this monopoly youre forming in your head is supplied with imagination money, and people in-game wont just give up their nails and screws for a good imaginary bill. So what if someone finds a way to aquire a lot of nails? We can gather more from scrap, mine metals and smelt (in future), choose a different high yield/low-weight item as currency, or do business with them.

Its a sandbox, and there isnt any way to prevent someone hoarding resources even if we arent using it as currency. My point, dont waste time with the middle man, especially if it serves no advantage. IE $ bills, caps, and coins.

It turns out that this exact type of thread was done before

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...lobal+currency

It resulted in a 10+ page flame war, this has already been talked about to death. Is there really a need to do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Let's continue then

Yes, it is an abstract scenario without a global trading system like you said, so we really won't need to worry about it.

But to indulge this senario, nails in this case would be hard to do, since nails are relatively plentiful. The arm of this tribe would have to be far reaching (again nearly impossible without a global trading system and fast travel), and more new nails can not turn up faster than this tribe could aquire them. Furthermore, the tribe would have to have a great deal of already obtained resourses to corner the market of nails, because as they are buying more nails, nails will be worth more and more so they will need to pay (trade) more for them at higher prices/items.

However, since it isn't hard to get say 100 nails in 1h, there will be a constant influx of nails to balance their intake and hence this scenario will not happen to nails. However, a type of this monopoly actually does exist, and most people don't know about it. Diamonds aren't a rare item (think about it, it's made from carbon, and carbon is one of the most plentiful elements on the planet). However, Da Beers, does exactly that. When a new diamond mine is found they will buy it out to keep diamonds rare. This is only possible, because of the global economy and fast travel.

On something harder to obtain, for example saws, this could possibily happen. Especially, when/if (I am guessing "when") deteriation of items occurs in game. Saws will become even rarer than they are now, and a tribe or groups of tribes could hoard all the saws and just sell the finished product (i.e. medium wooden handles, etc). This I could see happening, and medium wooden handles could be the currency, if and only if the leader of those tribes with the saw monopoly all agree to a set value.

Again, it will be interesting to see what will happen. I don't fear anything will happen to nails, because they are are plentiful and easy enough to find. The saw analogy on the other hand...could happen in the current state of the game (however, people could then just keep rerolling till they get chars with saws, so I guess that particular example will not work either, but the premise is still there).

Quote Originally Posted by sionide View Post
    Yes, it is an abstract scenario without a global trading system like you said, so we really won't need to worry about it.

But to indulge this senario, nails in this case would be hard to do, since nails are relatively plentiful. The arm of this tribe would have to be far reaching (again nearly impossible without a global trading system and fast travel), and more new nails can not turn up faster than this tribe could aquire them. Furthermore, the tribe would have to have a great deal of already obtained resourses to corner the market of nails, because as they are buying more nails, nails will be worth more and more so they will need to pay (trade) more for them at higher prices/items.

However, since it isn't hard to get say 100 nails in 1h, there will be a constant influx of nails to balance their intake and hence this scenario will not happen to nails. However, a type of this monopoly actually does exist, and most people don't know about it. Diamonds aren't a rare item (think about it, it's made from carbon, and carbon is one of the most plentiful elements on the planet). However, Da Beers, does exactly that. When a new diamond mine is found they will buy it out to keep diamonds rare. This is only possible, because of the global economy and fast travel.

On something harder to obtain, for example saws, this could possibily happen. Especially, when/if (I am guessing "when") deteriation of items occurs in game. Saws will become even rarer than they are now, and a tribe or groups of tribes could hoard all the saws and just sell the finished product (i.e. medium wooden handles, etc). This I could see happening, and medium wooden handles could be the currency, if and only if the leader of those tribes with the saw monopoly all agree to a set value.

Again, it will be interesting to see what will happen. I don't fear anything will happen to nails, because they are are plentiful and easy enough to find. The saw analogy on the other hand...could happen in the current state of the game (however, people could then just keep rerolling till they get chars with saws, so I guess that particular example will not work either, but the premise is still there).
    I dont believe we will see saws becoming a entirely hoarded item, as the obtained method is quite random, and no single tribe can lock down all the scrap piles. Perhaps when mining comes in things like coal and diamonds MAY become a rare comodity, but not so controllable that only the top people have access to it.