Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Law vs Chaos

Law vs Chaos

Right now we have a slightly artificial mechanism in place to deal with the whole law vs chaos/good vs evil conflict. I ould like to share some thoughts on what I think would be a good way for this to work post prelude and welcome constructive critisism or idea's: -

As things are now, chaos rules (but of course with enforced safety zones) but eventually as tribes create their homes they will want to ensure their own security. Leaving aside mechanisms for when people are offline I have been thinking what I personally would like to be able to do, as a good homesteader but this applies to tribes really) so here are some om my idea's.

Having Laws
    One of the first step a tribe might take to establish a bit of order from the chaos is to introduce tribal laws. These laws could only be effective on tribal land but perhaps some laws might be applicable on their members outside their own land. Some of these might be: -

Trespass
    Anyone who is not a tribe member or given access rights by the tribe (such as having an allies system) is tresspassing. Some tribes might welcome anyone while others might be a bit more secure. But essentially the basic law of tresspass would be a minor 'crime'.

Stealing
    Anything on tribal land is effectively the property of the tribe. Anyone not from the tribe who takes these items would be stealing. anything contained on a tribe members person is also considered the property of the tribe and so anyone removing such items from a member of the tribe unless through trade or picking the item up when outside tribal land is also stealing.

Vandalism
    Any structure on tribal land belongs to the tribe. Anyone destroying a tribal owned structure is commiting an act of vandalism.

Harm
    Hitting another person on tribal land (could be set up to be just tribal members or anyone) is an act of harm. Tribes you are at war with will probably be exempt but you could ahve it so anyone can be a victim.

Murder
    Killing another person on tribal land is murder (again could be set up to be just tribal members or anyone). Tribes you are at war with will probably be exempt but you could have it so anyone can be a victim.

Detecting a crime
    How can a crime be detected? Perhaps ANY crime commited within tribal lands is automatically detected or perhaps only if a tribal member is close enough to witness the act. You might need to have 'detecting towers' built to make it automatic.

You know the criminal but how to capture them?
    This could be done a few ways. Perhaps you would need to hit them till they fall unconsious, perhaps you only need to hit them a few times, perhaps simply having a 'police station' structure does it automatically. But once you know WHO is a criminal you need to capture them.

Punishment
    Punishment could be done using various ways. It could be an automatic punishment such as being moved to the edge of tribal lands, having all possessions removed, put into a jail for x minutes depending on crime (for example you might set it up so someone harming a tribal member goes to you 'jail' structure' for 2 minutes but murder would mean 15 minutes or whatever would seem like a reasonable punishment without being too abusive).

So as an example: -

Tribe A has a lookout tower built that covers their entire tribal lands so they can detect any crime. They don't mind anyone coming onto their lands but punish stealing with 2 mins (double for enemies) in jail plus all possessions are stripped from them. Anyone hurting a tribal member is locked up in their 'jail' structure for 5 mins (double for enemies) and their punishment for murder is 15 mins (double for enemies) in 'jail'. They have to hit a criminal on theri lands 2 times to effectively 'capture' them. They are at war with TRIBE B and see anyone from tribe B entering tribal lands as a crime and so anyone caught is sent to jail for 10 mins.

Tribe B is an Evil guild and has set up things so that all crimes are just against non tribal members and all jail time is 30 mins.

Tribe C does not have any laws and wishes to be chaotic and police themselves.

Of course, outside tribally owned lands there is no law so ffa pvp is totally open.

Thoughts on these idea's?(and appolgies for spelling).

Any jail time for crafting failure?

Didn't read it then I see.

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    Any jail time for crafting failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by maelwydd View Post
    welcome constructive critisism or idea's

Ridiculous reply to a ridiculous idea (jail time). The rest is alright, I guess.

*Edit*

Clarification. The rest is alright if there is something other than jail time. Very, very few people are going to play a game where sitting around doing nothing for 30 minutes is part of the "fun".

Ridiculous reply to a ridiculous idea (jail time). The rest is alright, I guess.
    Well it takes about 4-5 mins from being killed till I am back at my totem. So I think it is a fair balance to expect the same if that killer gets caught. The owner of the land can decide if they are happy for them to res back at their totem or would rather put them into thei jail. Either way the murderer loeses time only the person who's land it is decideds what happens. This is all about given players the freedom to play how they want (sandbox and all).

And remember, it only applies if you are on someone elses land. Don't like it don't go there. You know the risks, if you feel the reward is worth it then go for it. But you can't complain if you get caught. Same as the argument for when someone gets killed in a FFA PvP game out in the open. "You know the risks, accept this is ffa pvp or leave".

Well it takes about 4-5 mins from being killed till I am back at my totem. So I think it is a fair balance to expect the same if that killer gets caught. The owner of the land can decide if they are happy for them to res back at their totem or would rather put them into thei jail. Either way the murderer loeses time only the person who's land it is decideds what happens. This is all about given players the freedom to play how they want (sandbox and all).

And remember, it only applies if you are on someone elses land. Don't like it don't go there. You know the risks, if you feel the reward is worth it then go for it. But you can't complain if you get caught. Same as the argument for when someone gets killed in a FFA PvP game out in the open. "You know the risks, accept this is ffa pvp or leave".
    When you get killed in this game, it's over. Jail time is not simply over and done with.

If it's taking you 4-5 minutes to respawn... Report it. Takes me about 30 seconds after the release.

Ask for some NPC guards to help fend off the criminal or something of that nature. There is a reason why most of the games with jails aren't very successful... A lot of them are simply revenue generators from the Asian market small-time games (cash shop get-out-of-jail tokens without serving time).

When you get killed in this game, it's over. Jail time is not simply over and done with.
    Did you read my post? You go to jail for a time balanced with the effect of killing someone. If the devs think 5 mins jail time is reasonable then jail is 5 mins, if they think 1 min is better then so be it. The point is, there is no point having a system of laws if there is no punishment to go hand in hand with the crime.

If it's taking you 4-5 minutes to respawn... Report it. Takes me about 30 seconds after the release.
    Well I have a crappy connection currently so my personal loading time is moot, the point is whatever is seen as a reasonable punishment is the time used.

Ask for some NPC guards to help fend off the criminal or something of that nature.
    I thought the idea was NOT to have NPC's in the game? If there is no mechanism the devs can introduce to provide the same protection online as offline then something artificial does need to be used (such as attack windows) but I think NPC's will be bottom of the list.

There is a reason why most of the games with jails aren't very successful... A lot of them are simply revenue generators from the Asian market small-time games (cash shop get-out-of-jail tokens without serving time).
    Not aware of any game that has a prison system. Would be interested in having a list to look at them. Only game I played with a prison system was a NWN privately owned server and people loved it because the servers had enforced roleplaying and GM supervision. I am thinking of a way to create a tool for the players to manage their own system.

Xsyon Citizen
    Jail time is still a bad and boring idea. "Punishments", if any, should be quick and bloody.

Not aware of any game that has a prison system. Would be interested in having a list to look at them. Only game I played with a prison system was a NWN privately owned server and people loved it because the servers had enforced roleplaying and GM supervision. I am thinking of a way to create a tool for the players to manage their own system.
    Starquest Online - Full Player Imprisonment with developer handholding escapes for carebears
    Face of Mankind - Server regulated jailtime with crooked player police enforcement.

Those are two examples and they both are flawed, but they do exist and add a lot to both games.

Well, I guess I would still accept this system, however flawed, than have safe zones (for more than a month or 2).