Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Either make them bound or give everyone all starting tools. The majority of people will take the easy route unless it is blocked. I'm not going to make things harder on myself just out of principle.

Agree with the OP. Leaving exploits wide open like this at release just begs people to take advantage. When it finally is fixed, the damage is done and people have made the game much easier than what it was supposed to be. Of course, new players then are at an even bigger disadvantage. I see the pre order weapons/tools in the same light. Does an indy developer really need to add cheap incentives to make their game appealing? I don't think so.

I agree that It would have some benefits to have the starter tools bound to the player.
    I don't like the idea of people getting all the tools from the start, or getting ganked and losing all the tools and forcing to create a new character.

However, I like that I can borrow my tools to help a tribemate or myself in some cases.
    For example, just after last wipe, I made a leathercrafter and spawned without a needle (which is essential to leathercraft). Well one person from our tribe had a recipe for steel needle and all I needed to do was borrow him my crafting knife and find a few small metal plates and avoided needing to delete my char and starting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Defu View Post
    I agree that It would have some benefits to have the starter tools bound to the player.
    I don't like the idea of people getting all the tools from the start, or getting ganked and losing all the tools and forcing to create a new character.

However, I like that I can borrow my tools to help a tribemate or myself in some cases.
    For example, just after last wipe, I made a leathercrafter and spawned without a needle (which is essential to leathercraft). Well one person from our tribe had a recipe for steel needle and all I needed to do was borrow him my crafting knife and find a few small metal plates and avoided needing to delete my char and starting again.
    You have a very good point here. If more players would play fair there would be no need for a game mechanic like the one discussed in this thread.

Do players play fair? Especially in a game that features FFA PvP?

Instead we need to discuss such crazy ideas like soulbound or whatever the name is just to give fair players a bit of an equal chance against the cheaters and gankers. Yes, I know, the people that use the exploit with creating dozens of characters while an alt or a guildmate waits to collect all the tools don't call it cheating but call it "smart use of game mechanics". Cheaters, bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenmaster13 View Post
    Sure, sure, if you want to be in a tribe that's great. If you are solo, it is not great. Also, in real life we have something called perma-death, so please don't compare the two. This is a game, and as such, it has a ruleset. I see nothing wrong with starter tools being bound. It reduces griefing.
    ^^^ This

( I also think that the preorder weapons need to be non lootable if they aint allready) There is no Reason I can think of to totally crush the game with Ultra brutal thievery of crafting tools **Even eve online never leaves you that naked and gimped after death **Insurance starting lazers mining lazers etc etc

I like this game more than Eve tis why im here but having such a instant gimping of a toon as can happen here will probably mean Fail come same time next year

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I vote no..this game wasnt intended to be safe for soloers to begin with...but even now consessions were made to give them homesteads...leave your tools on your homestead when venturing out.
    A flippant answer. The fact is new players don't have a homestead. They start out in the middle of nowhere, and are easy prey for experienced players to take advantage of. This will have a direct impact on new players who want to play the game. Appearing in the game, getting ganked and ending up with nothing and no idea what to do. Doesn't make for a game that will attract new players. It's a pretty small consession to keep the population growing and improving the game experience for noobs. IMO of course.

I agree that something needs to be addressed with the starter tools. I know for a fact every tribe/experienced player right now has a plan for launch day to have all their characters roll and reroll quickly to put a bunch of tools in a basket so they dont have to worry about tools whatsoever. I'm the last person that would exploit this type of system, as I am 100% anticheat to the core, but even I am thinking about it, because its a problem that you seem to be missing one tool from each trade that prevents a solo person or even 2,3 people to get going/rolling in game not being able to create the neccessities to continue having fun. The less game experience you have the more stuck you are with nowhere to turn..

I am new to the game and not know much about combat / experience, but this also makes me wonder about stat padding.. If players can just delete and re-create new characters.. will these guilds spend a day, making newbs and killing them off for experience to get high stats more quickly? That's something im worrying about right now.... In a beta, you won't see this in effect too much, as most of it is low key, hush hush, but you can bet a lot of these players have geared up to become the baddest mofo's in the quickest of time, to start griefing their asses off

No thanks - soul bound items and weapons needs to stay in WOW type games.

Your pre-order weapon also needs to be lootable.

The starting tools are very basic and with a few weeks will be useless to everyone as they are such low quality. If they are not low quality then make it so that they are - that way no one will have any need to loot new players for them as they will be useless to established crafters. I think this is already the case though hence Jooky having the game his way. You see he has actually thought about these things far more than the people that have been playing a few weeks/days.

It's not even dumb luck getting pked while exploring after you have laid your homestead down. It is 10 minutes or less into the game while tribes place their totem near spawn points and target new players for whatever stupid pleasure they get from doing it. I would instead like to see a PVP and trade grace period on all new players for 20 minutes so that they may familiarize themselves with the game for a hot little second before they get rolled in the parking lot.

A grace period would not allow the player to be killed or to kill other players. ALSO no trading of any kind for 20 minutes and no setting things on the ground to stop exploiters. Problem solved. After 20 minutes game on.