Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    The problem imo, with those people who are in disagreement with the OP, is that they have a very narrow view of the problem.

There's a very real problem with combat in and of itself, it's not a measured art, people are making tiny toons exclusively for the purposes to avoid being hit and it's working as in order to hit someone you have to be very precise, unfortunately the game mechanics don't lend themselves well to precision. This becomes a problem especially when near the edges of a territory. Say for example, you're near the edge of enemy territory (especially if you're unaware that the territory has been claimed) and you engage in battle; regardless of who starts this fight, imagine that you get a whack in, he gets a whack in and in the heat of the moment (or a bout of cowardice) the guy with the home turf decides to exploit the mentioned safezone mechanic and steps a foot backwards into his zone. Given the current poor implementation of the territory notification and the current poor combat system, it is often too difficult to tell whether or not you're just plain missing the guy, or if you're in his safezone during a fight.

I mean let's be honest, hitting someone in this game isn't the easiest feat in the world, nor is it the best system to tell you when you've entered a safehold, both of these make it too easy to exploit the safe zone mechanic and that is why it's broken.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

2. 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Works fine. If you're too lazy to run around their territory, you deserve to get ganked. It's called their 'territory' for a reason.
    So then I should find a natural choke point, set up camp there and God-Mode gank anyone who has no choice but to walk through it?
    This mechanic is very easily exploitable, I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcapde View Post
    So then I should find a natural choke point, set up camp there and God-Mode gank anyone who has no choice but to walk through it?
    Or simply just set up in the middle of a garbage pile.

there are no choke points at all in the game. just 5 min detours.

It seems to me that the whole point of even having good and evil alignments is so that they feed off of one another...you know, fight, no holds barred and see who comes out on top, with equal footing.
    Not really, its supposed to be 80% good/neutral and 20% evil. Need to have disatvatages to being evil, alignment wont be just cosmetics i sincelrely hope. Rebuilding the world is focus, PvP is not, nor is PvP driving force for the game.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...syon-question/

Recently there seems to be a bit of a trend toward independently produced open-world games with sandbox elements and a heavy focus on PVP. What sets your game apart from titles like Darkfall or Mortal Online? Do you see PvP conflict as the driving force behind Xsyon?

What sets Xsyon apart is a focus on building and creating a new world and not relying on PvP as the driving force. The Xsyon setting is also based on reality and not a fantasy universe. This gives us the opportunity to introduce real locations and later historical lore to make Xsyon a somewhat educational experience.

Following on from that, both Darkfall and Mortal Online have attracted what many people consider to be undesirable communities (griefers, etc). Are there any mechanics in Xsyon created to keep anti-social behavior in check or is it truly up to the players and 'anything goes?'

In Xsyon, tribe zones are safe zones. While wilderness areas will be mostly anything goes, encumbrance limits will prevent extensive looting and mechanisms are in place to prevent camping spawn locations. The goal is to have open PvP in general but not cater to griefer types.

Why even bother having pvp in the game then? Why bother marketing the game as a post apocalyptic setting when virtually nothing that would happen in a post apocalyptic world is possible?
    You been to apocalypse so you know? I say apocalypse=everyone is dead, so how do we play that one. Ooooor, how would you account gods and magic, was that also supposed to happen in your apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    as a species we're highly social, highly intelligent, and highly agressive...when you dump in a limited supply of stuff you need to stay alive, its kinda obvious how it's going to play out.
    Memory or not, people still retain survival instincts; after a crisis event occurs instincts take over for educational accumen.
    Its very weird and selective apocalypse, maybe it weeded out all psycopaths, overly agressive people...theres nothing scientific about Xsyons apocalypse. from main page:

"War has ravaged the planet, opening a rift to another reality.The survivors of the grisly destruction rise from the ashes of ruin to encounter a world that has changed. A world that once existed only in the realm of mythology, legend and imagination has become concrete and very real...
    With the disruption of the planet, ancient gods awake to once again exert their powers over the earth. The lords of nature have revived the wastelands, eradicating and subverting the remnants of modern technology. Creatures of mutation and mythology now populate the land. The ways of swords and sorcery have replaced the path of science and progress."

The problem imo, with those people who are in disagreement with the OP, is that they have a very narrow view of the problem.

There's a very real problem with combat in and of itself, it's not a measured art, people are making tiny toons exclusively for the purposes to avoid being hit and it's working as in order to hit someone you have to be very precise, unfortunately the game mechanics don't lend themselves well to precision. This becomes a problem especially when near the edges of a territory. Say for example, you're near the edge of enemy territory (especially if you're unaware that the territory has been claimed) and you engage in battle; regardless of who starts this fight, imagine that you get a whack in, he gets a whack in and in the heat of the moment (or a bout of cowardice) the guy with the home turf decides to exploit the mentioned safezone mechanic and steps a foot backwards into his zone. Given the current poor implementation of the territory notification and the current poor combat system, it is often too difficult to tell whether or not you're just plain missing the guy, or if you're in his safezone during a fight.

I mean let's be honest, hitting someone in this game isn't the easiest feat in the world, nor is it the best system to tell you when you've entered a safehold, both of these make it too easy to exploit the safe zone mechanic and that is why it's broken.
    Dont be careless and fight on edge of someones safe zone. If you are unaware of your surroundings you deserve to lose, aint that mantra that you all like to chant to care-bears soooo much, suck-it up carebear I do agree though that theres very little feedback on safe-zone notification, but then, it makes you all that more careful. If someone manages to bait you to his safe zone...

Yah, find a choke point and do just that, good luck.

EDIT: i just find all "apocalypose must look x way, you are doing it wrong" claims...amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
    Just to make myself "Clear" this is NOT a thread about how there should or or should Not be SafeZones in the game.

This thread is about a broken game mechanic within the SafeZones.

I tested this in three diffrent tribe lands to be sure and found that if i walk on a tribes land they can attack me "Without" me provoking them or taking resources and yet they remain completly "INVULNRABLE" to my attacks so there is no self defense.

If this is the way it is supposed to be then it is an appaling game mechanic as the attacking party should at least become flagged to you so you may defend yourself.

Now i realise Fanboy trolls will say "Well then don't walk on a tribes land" but quite honestly how can you take away somones ability to defend themselves if they choose to run through somones land to cut off a 5-10 min walk around or more. I see plenty of tribes set up shop in valleys that will take a person even 20 mins to find a walk around.

I don't mind at all that somone can attack me for simply walking through their land but i should be able to defend myself.

This game mechanic needs serious discussion.

We need to hear the Devs come forward and justify Allowing someone to attack and loot you without provacation other then walking through their land while remaining completly invulnrable. I think we should receive a list of details explaining why this is being implemented as well as why no other alternatives will work.

Thoughts and opinions please.
    I agree.

If I walk into another players, or tribe safezone and stupidly try to attack them, fair enough, I deserve to have my ass handed to me while they cannot be harmed.
    But, if I wander into another players, or tribe safezone, do nothing and get randomly attacked, they should lose the safety aspect and take damage if I hit them back, especially if they are good aligned, as that should not be how they roll anyway.
    The mechanic of the safezone definately needs to be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
    It is about a major broken game mechanic that gives people invulnrabilty while they may still kill and loot you.
    You continue this mantra that "it is about a broken game mechanic".... while completely ignoring the fact that it was designed to function the way it does, and is working as intended.

Whine about it, cry about it, lie on the floor kicking your feet about it, hold your breath til you turn blue about it... but it is "working as intended". Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by byrgar View Post
    I agree.

If I walk into another players, or tribe safezone and stupidly try to attack them, fair enough, I deserve to have my ass handed to me while they cannot be harmed.
    But, if I wander into another players, or tribe safezone, do nothing and get randomly attacked, they should lose the safety aspect and take damage if I hit them back, especially if they are good aligned, as that should not be how they roll anyway.
    The mechanic of the safezone definately needs to be looked at.
    What are you doing on another tribes territory? And i hope alignment is in sooner rather than later, so if you are not evil you will have nothing to fear from good/neutral tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What are you doing on another tribes territory? And i hope alignment is in sooner rather than later, so if you are not evil you will have nothing to fear from good/neutral tribes.
    Have you heard of trade? maybe I need to cross a section of another tribes safezone to get to my homestead, or, I could have been playing football and accidently kicked it over the fence.....
    There are a lot of reasons why somebody *might* enter another tribes safezone, there really is no reason why somebody attacking for no reason should still be safe.
    Maybe you are right, and alignment will solve the issue.