Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrueak View Post
    yep during prelude, but this prelude will weed out most but not all of the pker's that are here just for the thrill, in 6 to 9 months those will have moved on to something more of their liking while the ones that are here for the tribal warfare/politics etc will stick around.
    What a cute little assumption.

2. 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM

i bet you want be here after 1 month
    Put your money where your mouth is.

people are saying that because the developer himself has said that in interviews. he specifically says that xyson is about building the world and crafting and that PVP is not the driving force. IF it was pvp centric than it would be the driving force, you also would have the feature page devoted to pvp but it is devoted to everything else except for a couple lines for pvp. Once prelude is over than pvp becomes more centric as by that time there will have been the tribal seiges, combat mechanics implemented,

right now all there is to combat is point your character and press 1 or 2 how pvp centric is that?
    PVP isnot the focus. hmm.

Xsyon's primary game design element is economic...and economy of limited and depleting resources.
    OK, so primary game element Economy. Check.

What happens when resources run out or get scarce? Competition. What is the inevitable result of competition? Conflict.
    OK, so the secondary element is pvp.

So what is the underlying drives both the economy and the conflict?
    Craft skills. They consume resources, which fuels the economy which creates conflict.

Now, you can rearrange these any way you want...really...but you don't have a 'game' if you eliminate one of them.

A pvp game without purpose, fails. For all the crying (some legit) about ganking, that's the lowest common denominator of pvp. Real pvp focuses on larger strategies and purpose, not just ganking some noob who loaded the game for th efirst time.
    An economic game without conflict, or a mechanism to fuel the conflict is a friggin study course. plug in variables, watch what happens woo hoo great time.
    a crafting game without the economic model or the pvp is just a simulation. How many people are actually going to play SimCraft for more than a month or two? probably not enough to pay the bills.

so, like it or not, we all need each other.

I think we all want this game to succeed...i think i can speak for the pvp crowd in that we need a game to play. everything else on the market has been found, played, and judged deeply flawed. If we're currently playing it's because we have no other recourse for for boredom. Obviously the pve crowd wnats something deeper WoW or WaR crafting...or even the Eve economic model (which is pretty substantial). There is nothing wrong with being 'neutral' and 'non violent'...altho the threat of overwhelming violence goes a long way to ensuring one's ability to play peacfully

anyway, pve and pvp can and should coexist...players just have to decide to make it happen.

and yes, i'm still going to kill when i see you scrounging junk because i want your hat.
    and your shoes.
    maybe your pants.

5. 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Put your money where your mouth is.
    what does my money have to do with anything? more likely will be an axe situation

I wet the bed until recently
    I love that story.

Excellent post Dubs. I think you hit the nail exactly on the head with why the "PVP" games out there are so boring and 1-dimensional. The PVP side just doesn't exist well without a well developed economic system and vice versa.

Yeah the current combat system is fairly undeveloped, especially when compared to other games out there. Strategy is going to be fairly rudimentary until they add in ranged combat and some type of magic/tactics system. But I still think we will see folks beating each other up up close and personal - especially as we fill up the prelude world and resources do truly become scarce.

9. 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM

you also wont be here after a few months
    *shrug* unless the devs completely nerf pvp...unlikely.

but i've seen interest evaporate overnight when devs did stupid stuff before (Pirates of the Burning Sea for example)

if they hold true to their current vision, we'll probably be here for a very long time.

you'll have to be sure and send me your address so we can pay you a teepee warming visit.

we'll bring pie.

11. 02-25-2011, 05:23 PM

12. 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM

13. 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    PVP isnot the focus. hmm.

Xsyon's primary game design element is economic...and economy of limited and depleting resources.
    OK, so primary game element Economy. Check.

What happens when resources run out or get scarce? Competition. What is the inevitable result of competition? Conflict.
    OK, so the secondary element is pvp.

So what is the underlying drives both the economy and the conflict?
    Craft skills. They consume resources, which fuels the economy which creates conflict.

Now, you can rearrange these any way you want...really...but you don't have a 'game' if you eliminate one of them.

A pvp game without purpose, fails. For all the crying (some legit) about ganking, that's the lowest common denominator of pvp. Real pvp focuses on larger strategies and purpose, not just ganking some noob who loaded the game for th efirst time.
    An economic game without conflict, or a mechanism to fuel the conflict is a friggin study course. plug in variables, watch what happens woo hoo great time.
    a crafting game without the economic model or the pvp is just a simulation. How many people are actually going to play SimCraft for more than a month or two? probably not enough to pay the bills.

so, like it or not, we all need each other.

I think we all want this game to succeed...i think i can speak for the pvp crowd in that we need a game to play. everything else on the market has been found, played, and judged deeply flawed. If we're currently playing it's because we have no other recourse for for boredom. Obviously the pve crowd wnats something deeper WoW or WaR crafting...or even the Eve economic model (which is pretty substantial). There is nothing wrong with being 'neutral' and 'non violent'...altho the threat of overwhelming violence goes a long way to ensuring one's ability to play peacfully

anyway, pve and pvp can and should coexist...players just have to decide to make it happen.

and yes, i'm still going to kill when i see you scrounging junk because i want your hat.
    and your shoes.
    maybe your pants.
    A good post getting lost in a sea of troll.

15. 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM

16. 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM

17. 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM

You two (MrKrueak and Dontaze_Mebro) need to both stop flaming and trolling each other immediately. I don't care who started what; neither of you have a right to be fighting on the public forums like this. Take it to a PM now.