Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    There are lots of things people can do to compete for sure. Everything you listed of course will not sound to great to FPS type I pnwzju players. A lot of what you mentioned (aside from the building and market thing) are just using/abusing game mechanics. I don't think finding a way to do something that was not intended is good PvP - but that is my opinion.

I do appreciate what you are getting at though - I just wouldn't consider everything you said "valid" forms of PvP.
    You also left out cutting down every tree you see near your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post
    aye great post mac, I beleave the only true way in theory to make ur idea work successfully is 2 servers 1 100% pve and 1 100% pvp. Yes it shrinks the games pop by alot but gives every1 both worlds plus every1 gets what they want.
    I would have to disagree Fatboy. keep everyone in the same server, but increase their lands, add a defense mechanism for the player that doesn't want to pvp, where he has to work real hard to keep his land. But to be honest is survival of the fittest. I love this game because of of that, if you are not strong enough to defend your land either submit to the new "ruler" or move somewhere else. just like in real life, you have trouble makers in your neighborhood, you either fight them, join them or move away. I don't like to pvp ( fight player versus player for the sake of this column) but I can contribute to our lands to make them stronger in case of an attack.

Point:
    If someone doesn't like pvp join a tribe that has enough people to do the pvp, so you can stay at home and make them the supplies you need.

Events or competitions that would involve heavy use of wood or similar materials could be limited to certain areas. It's human nature to compete, socialize, argue, trade, debate et cetera and therefore obvious we like such in games we spend time in.
    No one can argue, that ideas from players, within sensible parameters, is good fuel for developers, testers and other players in games.

i just fell asleep thinking about this uber lame kind of "pvp" which isnt even pvp.

rofl

Quote Originally Posted by esudar View Post
    i just fell asleep thinking about this uber lame kind of "pvp" which isnt even pvp.

rofl
    I was laughing to hard to fall asleep.

aliksteel,
    That would be like me saying, you stop posting here, because you making it into more of a carebear game like you have done in soooo many other post.

Last time I checked. The forums were a way for EVERYONE to express themselves, not just people that have bad ideas of how to exploit systems to try to "pvp" because the real PVP (combat) is broke as heck in this game and not even close to being balanced or fun for anyone that knows what real pvp (combat) is like.

I also think its super funny, because when I was doing some of these "pvp" tactics, I was called a griefer. Things like denying people junk piles, and chopping trees, destroying other resources, and blowing up buildings.

But hey now that real pvp (combat) is broken even worse than before with the desync. I guess all we are left with is griefer style pvp.

MrDDT.. There is a difference on trolling and being a carebear.
    It would be like saying stop posting about more reasons to PvP.

Endless and pointless discussion.

Although, this topic I got to agree has zero to do with PvP and more to do with competition. Though it is two sides of the same medallion.

Think of it as: versus refers to fighting other things whereas competing is racing to complete something first.

You don't fight another team by building a monument faster, you compete.

On a side note. I like that you, MrDDT, are the master and has all the knowledge of the perfect PvP system, yet you haven't been hired by a single game firm to complete your awesome system. Maybe, like the rest of us, your idea is only suitable for you.
    - You find combat broken. I actually like it, though some things needs tweaking as always.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    MrDDT.. There is a difference on trolling and being a carebear.
    It would be like saying stop posting about more reasons to PvP.

Endless and pointless discussion.

Although, this topic I got to agree has zero to do with PvP and more to do with competition. Though it is two sides of the same medallion.

Think of it as: versus refers to fighting other things whereas competing is racing to complete something first.

You don't fight another team by building a monument faster, you compete.

On a side note. I like that you, MrDDT, are the master and has all the knowledge of the perfect PvP system, yet you haven't been hired by a single game firm to complete your awesome system. Maybe, like the rest of us, your idea is only suitable for you.
    - You find combat broken. I actually like it, though some things needs tweaking as always.

First you make personal attacks when things dont work out for you. You dont know me nor who has or hasnt hired me.
    I never said I had a perfect PVP system.

If you dont find combat broken great. I can find 100s of people that disagree with you, can you find 100s that agree with you?

Combat to me has got worse. I would say most people Ive talked to agree.
    Parry, dodge, arc swings etc dont mean crap in this combat, let alone people cant even kill each other. Do you even do combat? Have you done PVP since the last patch or 2?

You think Im trolling because I dont agree with you, well let me just point out I have to say many people dont agree on things, doesnt mean they are "trolling" you should look the word up.

The things that the OP says most people would call "griefing" NOT PVP. I find it funny how things change on these forums so fast and they cant follow hard facts. Just based on feelings. I wonder whats next. Im going to be called a carebear because I dont agree with exploiting systems and griefing people is the best way to do "pvp"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    I fondly remember playing a game called Horizons.

It was a PVE game, fantasy setting, where all players could master all skills and crafts.

You may think this would get boring fast, but in actuality it lead to very creative ways of doing PvP even though the game did not allow players to even bump into eachother much less strike them with a weapon.

There was the typical train mobs onto your enemy, and the ever popular steal a mobs or steal a resources a player was gathering. But that is mere childsplay.

Where you could do real player vs. player was in competing to finish a world building project before another team could, to add to your personal fame. Since the projects would stay in the world from that time on it was a long term monument to actions YOU took.

There was also the aspect of cornering a market in some crafted item. Someone would be seeling easy to make items at an inflated price, You could them work together with others and flood the market with lower priced items and watch as the first seller depleted his funds buying your cheaper items and re-listing them at higher prices, until he just could not do it anymore and you would continue flooding and finally establish a newer more reasonable price that folks woul dbuy and soon all the other high priced items would disappear.

Then there was the truly gratifying times when a group of macroers would be attempting to farm mobs for some special resource or loot, and because you were much more powerful and faster keep them from getting the mobs by just tagging them all first.

These are form of pvp that are as valid as contested totem or sieging a camp to take resources or using logs someone else logged in non-tribal grounds.

Why must pvp be viewed as just combat?
    LOL

90% of the things you just listed would be considered griefing in any self respecting online game.

Stealing mobs and rescources and the training mobs onto other players? really? That's more griefing than I've seen possible in a PVP enviroment in a long while.

Posts like these are the reason I still read the forums, they crack me up. The thread title should be " PVP doesn't have to mean just killing them, you can grief them too!"

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    First you make personal attacks when things dont work out for you. You dont know me nor who has or hasnt hired me.
    I never said I had a perfect PVP system.

If you dont find combat broken great. I can find 100s of people that disagree with you, can you find 100s that agree with you?

Combat to me has got worse. I would say most people Ive talked to agree.
    Parry, dodge, arc swings etc dont mean crap in this combat, let alone people cant even kill each other. Do you even do combat? Have you done PVP since the last patch or 2?

You think Im trolling because I dont agree with you, well let me just point out I have to say many people dont agree on things, doesnt mean they are "trolling" you should look the word up.

The things that the OP says most people would call "griefing" NOT PVP. I find it funny how things change on these forums so fast and they cant follow hard facts. Just based on feelings. I wonder whats next. Im going to be called a carebear because I dont agree with exploiting systems and griefing people is the best way to do "pvp"?
    Got it wrong. As usual.
    I'm saying you are trolling because all you have done is laughing of a suggestion from another player not even trying to moderate yourself. As you usually do when someone comes up with an idea you do not like. Something most people would consider an attack on their ideas and when you turn it against you, it is all of the sudden a personal attack. I like it . Cracks me up. But let that rest.

I have done PvP. I've even done PvE though animals are scarce in our area - again.
    And I haven't said combat didn't need tweaking. I like it because I can choose direction, swing power etc. Not because any of the said items works perfectly.

Last time you were complaining it was too easy to kill each other. Now it is too hard. I find it funny how you people can change so often yourself, no?

In the end. I don't consider the OP's suggestions griefing. But in EQ you were used to getting trained etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    Got it wrong. As usual.
    I'm saying you are trolling because all you have done is laughing of a suggestion from another player not even trying to moderate yourself. As you usually do when someone comes up with an idea you do not like. Something most people would consider an attack on their ideas and when you turn it against you, it is all of the sudden a personal attack. I like it . Cracks me up. But let that rest.

I have done PvP. I've even done PvE though animals are scarce in our area - again.
    And I haven't said combat didn't need tweaking. I like it because I can choose direction, swing power etc. Not because any of the said items works perfectly.

Last time you were complaining it was too easy to kill each other. Now it is too hard. I find it funny how you people can change so often yourself, no?

In the end. I don't consider the OP's suggestions griefing. But in EQ you were used to getting trained etc.

The OP's post is griefing by any normal person's standards if you cant see that, every post you make about it is void. That's is a given.

You like the current combat system. I didnt say I didnt like it, I said its broken. Which even you say it is also, just you call it "Needing tweaks" I call it "Broken". I could use the term "needing tweaks" but I think that would be a massive understatement, now if part of combat was working I could agree needing tweaking.

Like:
    Desync - still a problem
    How you move in combat - still glitchy with many other issues.
    Combat speed - Still not working well enough to even start balancing weapons or anything
    Parry and Dodge - Not doing what it should be doing, not working right and not useful at all.
    Damage of weapons - really messed up and very low
    Armor effects - not much here, they messed it up big time with the last few patches.

I mean I could list more, but with all those MAJOR issues, I would call it broken. If we were talking about maybe attack speeds with X type of weapon vs Y types of weapons, or stats effecting damage in this way instead of that way etc. I would call it tweaking. But when basic systems are NOT working, Its broken.