Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Some critics

It sounds like the new definition of winner is greifer. Don't win too much, because people will leave the game if they loose.

Attacking someone over and over can be greifing if there were nothing the player can do about it
    Wrong. Perhaps that is your definition about griefing, but not the developers'. Attacking someone over and over IS griefing is this game, even if the victim can try to run away and hide in a safe zone or do whatever.

Someone who exploits bugs is an exploiter. How is this a personal attack ?

Unfortunatly i remember some one saying that Griefing is also attacking some one over and over that comes into your area, ie you kill them they go away to where ever and you continue on what you were up to, they come back and you kill them again, then continue on your way still not following or what ever, this continues on for another 14 15 times and boom your a griefer.

PvP and Griefing are always going to get mixed together and to be honest the only solution to griefing is to just form up a posse hunt down the griefer and then grief them harder that they did before since thats the only language they understand....

You have to make it so they dont get the pleasure of doing it to you by doing it to them, in this game the safe zones kinda limit what you can do but really thats the only solution, you dont trade with them you hunt them down and kill them and doing it as a community....

I dont understand this carebear hold my hand stuff, people need to grow up,

Any mechanic can be used as greifing, ANY MECHANIC, you can grief some one with crafting if you really wanted to.

The real definition of griefing is being jack ass and tring to ruin the game experience for another player its simple as that. It doesn't have to be pvp, you dont have to have your character Die for it to happen to you, stop assuming that (pvp=griefing)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
    It sounds like the new definition of winner is greifer. Don't win too much, because people will leave the game if they loose.
    I know it can seem that way, but I've honestly seen players harrass one of my neighbors to a point that was just silly

They were actually hiding (must have macroed because at that time, no way someone could have gotten that advanced yet) near his safe zone and jumping him naked with PO axes every time he tried to leave. They'd taunt him in general.

Mind you, he didn't even know them at all, none of us did. He did get upset by it, it did cause him grief, and that's the only reason they continued to harrass him in particular. It's how they got their jollies.

Not every instance of pvp falls under that category of course. I have no doubt from the things you've said you are more into honorable pvp... but there really are some silly folks out there. Much fewer recently but I think that's only because a lot of their prey jumped ship These guys weren't winners even if they won the fight, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    PvP and Griefing are always going to get mixed together and to be honest the only solution to griefing is to just form up a posse hunt down the griefer and then grief them harder that they did before since thats the only language they understand....
    stop assuming that (pvp=griefing)
    Actually, that's what my neighborhood did. We got enough online at once to kill them(needed a posse because they were macroed with PO axes) which is when they came back after we logged off and decimated the entire forest nearby, stumps and all.

Griefing does indeed take many forms

Actually, that's what my neighborhood did. We got enough online at once to kill them(needed a posse because they were macroed with PO axes) which is when they came back after we logged off and decimated the entire forest nearby, stumps and all.

Griefing does indeed take many forms
    This. And since dieing means NOTHING in the game, griefers can't be punished by the community, only by devs/GMs.

Why the hell are you people in Xsyon anyway?

It is a ffa PvP game about post-apocalyptic survival. Expecting people to 'play nice' is irrational.

The system rewards and encourages excessive harvesting and terraforming. It is not griefing to do exactly what the game is designed to encourage.

If you want to play PvE, fine. Stay in your tribal land.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Wrong. Perhaps that is your definition about griefing, but not the developers'. Attacking someone over and over IS griefing is this game, even if the victim can try to run away and hide in a safe zone or do whatever.

Someone who exploits bugs is an exploiter. How is this a personal attack ?

So when I do a duel with a player 10 times in a row that's griefing? I think you need to go figure out what is wrong with YOUR definition of griefing, but I'm sure attacking others over and over is not. Its only when they cant do anything about getting away.

If someone attacks my town over and over, and I keep killing them. I'm 100% sure that's not griefing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    So when I do a duel with a player 10 times in a row that's griefing? I think you need to go figure out what is wrong with YOUR definition of griefing, but I'm sure attacking others over and over is not. Its only when they cant do anything about getting away.

If someone attacks my town over and over, and I keep killing them. I'm 100% sure that's not griefing.
    It is not my definition. It is the one guides/devs gave to us. Argue with them if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    It is not my definition. It is the one guides/devs gave to us. Argue with them if you like.
    I must have missed these guidelines. I didnt see it in the manual or under the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    People are going to get mad when they die, they are going to get mad when they break a tool, they are going to get mad when someone builds near a resource they want. Nothing I did with the trees or removing resources from the game was breaking any rules.

Upsetting people is normal when you have PVP. Even WOW has this problem.
    My point though is right now there is no reason to cut down and destory trees.(I know you said before you wernt destroying them, I am not sure if you started to destroy them)

Maybe to start tribe wars early?
    I could see it as a way for trade wars if someone was selling something wood and they had a competitor in a certain area, they might want to go cut all those trees.
    Maybe so others cant get master logging as easy, good for high skilled loggers if they are lookign for business or just dont want others to have good stuff.

The point to do it should not be just to upset people hehe. People might get upset but if thats the reason for doing something then thats probably what most people dont like.

Also this will not matter as much when people can regrow trees.

When tribe wars start I can see it haveing a big impact. Regrowing trees should take awhile. Long enough so a tribe could destroy all the treeas around another tribe that it wanted to atatck. To make them have a hard time to get wood for defenses or weapons or whatever.