Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial server?

hehe is all i can say, Alot of old bubbles is gonna go pop . :-)

Xsyon Citizen
    Good luck waiting for thousands of people your way DDT.
    I guess you still a scaptic.
    What you're going to see is dev team run out of support and eventualy abandon the project, sadly it is true for Xsyon.

Pvp players don't want to see a Pve server, it always ends up in a risk versus reward scenario discussion. Even with safe zones most pve players don't want the ever present threat of pvp when off the safe zone area. They look for casual game play with all the benefits the game has to offer and no immediate threats other than the wild life. I always hated a PVE concept with a sandbox game like this but pvp doesn't and hasn't generated the player base, it never does. Even with everything completed on the development end, a pvp only sandbox game doesn't generate the revenue. I know, I know, darkfall and this and that, those games differ in many respects but I digress, even before I hear the rebuttals.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post

Current server is pvp enabled, that alone is THE problem.
    Xsyon is an open pvp sandbox game. The fact that it is pvp enabled may be YOUR problem, but it isnt THE problem.

I don't particularly like endless pvp (cos I suck) so I tend to try and avoid it in the game when I can, and as there are safe zones (tribal areas) and a large map it's pretty easy to do. What I like about Xsyon is the element of danger that other players can represent, and by having open pvp it keeps me looking over my shoulder for more than just ninja bears and makes me consider my choices when wandering around with a bag full of loot. It would also add an additional element of risk to trading and so on when that time comes.

PVE might make the game easier for some people, but removing it would change the game for the worst IMO. You can't simply code the kind of interaction and possibilities that pvp encounters offer - no matter how smart your AI is or how well scripted your encounters. I don't care what anyone says, Xsyon is appealing to me because of the impact I can have on the world - and the impact I could possibly have on other players should I chose to. If this was a real post apocalyptic scenario, people would kill you and take your stuff to survive.

And you want to take that away? What next? Dance parties? Love ins? Pixie garden unicorn appreciation days?

Just be thankful that tribal areas are PVE enabled. Personally, I reckon a good wall and well fortified structures should be the only thing between you and other players. And that's from someone who can't hit a hamster to save himself.

EDIT : THE problem, as far as I can tell is a lack of advertising in recent months and a purchase / subscription model that has until now forced people to pay for the unknown. Probably need to give the trial a few more weeks before we know how successful it has been. All I know is, I've seen new people around and in global, and that's great to see.
    Last edited by Morphinehit; 10-29-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: cos

A pve server would pretty much just mean your powerless when people come in your area and pull your junk take your grass chop your trees while planting hundreds pretty much making your area look like crap because there just there for the resources then plan to move when done because they just dont care about your area.If you think that wont happen think again as it does now if you let them.So gl with being helpless........no ty

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by unclean666 View Post
    A pve server would pretty much just mean your powerless when people come in your area and pull your junk take your grass chop your trees while planting hundreds pretty much making your area look like crap because there just there for the resources then plan to move when done because they just dont care about your area.If you think that wont happen think again as it does now if you let them.So gl with being helpless........no ty
    As far as I remember, you can't go to someone else's tribe land and do those things.
    With pve enabled and pvp off, means, you still can't do anything on someone else's tribe area, the only change pve would make is no one could attack you outside your tribe and anywere in the Xsyon world, that means no ganking when people start to fill the world.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    As far as I remember, you can't go to someone else's tribe land and do those things.
    With pve enabled and pvp off, means, you still can't do anything on someone else's tribe area, the only change pve would make is no one could attack you outside your tribe and anywere in the Xsyon world, that means no ganking when people start to fill the world.
    I think he means chopping trees, killing animals, pulling junk, grass, planting trees etc outside of your tribe area.

Of course inside your tribe area people cant do most of these things. (Not really sure why people are allowed to plant in tribe areas still)

@Znaiika: The problem with Xsyon is not pvp. In those 8 months I've been playing (to and fro) I've been killed by DDT and Dang, once each. Even then I got to keep my stuff so there was no loss, just a bit of excitement.

You also claim that more people have left Xsyon after you left, which is true. You are not the only one who left the game. But the population is probably larger today than it was when you played. I don't have any hard facts regarding that statement but the chat seems more active and I see more names figuring in it.

In one note you write "As for 'trial server' even if you have 1 month before reset, still there is no point playing on 'trial server'.". In what way did you fail to understand the word "trial"? Of course there is no bloody point in playing on a trial server, unless you want to try the game out.

Besides, this must be the 10th post with your trolling crap about pvp vs pve. I am myself no fan of pvp, but I paid the sub and knew what I was buying. And as I already mentioned - there is no pvp to worry about so please don't make an issue out of nothing. There are more important things for the dev-team to work on at the moment. Take a look at the current and coming rounds of implementations.

EDIT: And ... +1 to Morphinehit for a well written note, had I read it before I started to type I wouldn't have needed to start typing.
    Last edited by Azzym; 10-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.

I don't believe the option of a PvE server should be considered much of a threat to those who enjoy a PvP server, and I fail to see why they should find it necessary to oppose it.

It is understood that to players who seek a PvE playstyle, PvP is not currently a threat. However, one does have to keep the longer term in mind. The game may never again draw a large enough population to make PvP much of an infringement or nuisance to PvE minded players. This is the only scenario in which the "PvP doesn't even happen" argument makes any sense. A defeatist sense of status quo being as good as it will ever get.

It would appear the developers have a more optimistic view of the future, and so the suggestion of a PvE server to preemptively address what will invariably become an issue is actually a wise one that should be given thought by those who make the decisions.

Xsyon, if I remember correctly, has some truly wonderful qualities as a PvE world. My honest opinion is that such a server would be at the very least as successful as a FFA PvP world.

I would put forth the proposition that a PvE server could not only break even, but turn a profit as well. Considering the overlap and continuity in development cycle regarding each type of server, the profit would benefit the FFA PvP server as well.

I understand the concern that it would dilute an already small population, but keep in mind decisions are made under the assumption that the population will grow over time (as I presume it must to maintain financial solvency), and that the two different types of servers would draw from two different pools of potential customers.

I don't foresee a PvE server being implemented as it is evidently not in the official designer's plans, but I do believe it is a viable suggestion that shouldn't be too easily dismissed on account of dogma.

Naturally, as things stand at the very moment, a PvE server would not be as helpful to the growth of the game as the implementation of more fundamental features such as farming, cooking, healing, archery, etc. I'll look forward to revisiting this discussion at such a time when it may bear more relevance.

Best of luck and wishes of success with the kickstarter project.

Dasvidaniya,
    A hopeful expatriate.

Very good post, Tchetonkwa. What is currently keeping me back playing the game is not the current PvP situation, but the possible future. I don't want to invest time and money into a game where its always possible that a bored person decide to ruin my gameplay and change the nice and peaceful life I live in game. Since none of the planned anti-griefer features have been implemented and it's not even in the plans anymore, I see no reason to believe in the game's future from a peaceful player's point of view. I hope there is such a future though, but I won't play again till there isn't something to assure it (like a PvE server for example).