Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Tandarie View Post
    Larsa means to be able to make leather clothes or bone armor you might need things that only come from junk piles.
    Those things come from the Scavenge skill as well. You do not need a junk pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandarie View Post
    Larsa means to be able to make leather clothes or bone armor you might need things that only come from junk piles.
    That would be a physical impossibility because the devs have made it clear that in the long term the junk piles are going to be gone. If this were true then they would be saying that they're going to disable the ability to make a bunch of the stuff in the game.

The question is do people really think that the dev team is that stupid? I sure don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post
    That would be a physical impossibility because the devs have made it clear that in the long term the junk piles are going to be gone. If this were true then they would be saying that they're going to disable the ability to make a bunch of the stuff in the game.

The question is do people really think that the dev team is that stupid? I sure don't.
    Has nothing to do with stupid.

The recipes are setup that you need a lot of metal (screws, rods, rivets, etc.) to make anything with leather or bone. The source for these things at the moment are junk piles. If the recipes stay the same we need other sources for these things when the junk has vanished.

But then, a single pull on a junk pile gives you the same amount of leather as slaughtering 5 or 6 bears. It's almost as if the developers do not want us to settle far away from a junk pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    Has nothing to do with stupid.

The recipes are setup that you need a lot of metal (screws, rods, rivets, etc.) to make anything with leather or bone. The source for these things at the moment are junk piles. If the recipes stay the same we need other sources for these things when the junk has vanished.

But then, a single pull on a junk pile gives you the same amount of leather as slaughtering 5 or 6 bears. It's almost as if the developers do not want us to settle far away from a junk pile.
    junk piles are here for prelude to help get the community started up at launch. Junk piules can be replenished by discarding items nearby them ( i remember reading it somewhere but cant remember if its 100% true ). Scavaging on a grass patch or road path or mountain side cliff can give you rivets,rods,screws etc .... but doing it on a junk pile has a better success rate etc etc. Just because there isnt any junk doesnt mean you still cant find it.

plus remember, jooki has said mining will be introduced at some point. so u can mine up some metal then sort it into screws etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Marcolo View Post
    I'm happy that the Dev's are listening to the community and addressing things they consider unfair. But I have a couple of concerns that, I hope over time, will prove out to be non-issues:

1) Seems like an inappropriate time to be focusing on something like that, when there are more pressing issues (getting the game into a runnable/playable state). I can only assume there are Devs that could not address the playability issue and were assigned to address other issues.

2) I am all for balance, but not when it erodes playability. Often times, adding resources into a game is a quick way to "quiet the masses" without really addressing the problem. I hope this does not start the game down the path where difficulty is negated. Much of the fun of the game will be lost if no one has to leave the safety of their totem for months on end.
    This is why devs shouldn't even read forums. The Masses (for the most part) only know what benefits them personally and have very little perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    The source for these things at the moment are junk piles. If the recipes stay the same we need other sources for these things when the junk has vanished.

There's where you went wrong. What we've been saying is that there is more than one source! No one can camp your scavenge button! You can do it anywhere! when you train it up, and I'll say it again if you skim-read, when you train it up, you'll get way more items of a particular kind than a junk sort. Not 5 screws, not 5 pieces of plastic, try 15-20.

junk piles honestly are kind of like a level 1 sword. Sure they're nice and you can cut a mob with it, but the big boys don't mess with them.

Did the big boys mess with them when they started playing? feels like it may take 7000 scavenging pushes to level this one decently.

At the start of the game, anyway, I can't see a downside (besides aesthetics) of living by or on a junk pile. While there are plenty of downsides to scavenging off junk piles. Such as:

1. Your scavenging skill takes awhile to raise, and until it's fairly high, your success rate scavenging off a pile will be pitifully low. Meanwhile, you can always scavenge on a junk pile while you're gathering from the resource tabe, same as you can forage, just remember to do it as you wander over the pile.

2. Speaking of wandering, if you're going to increase your scavenging skill and actually try to obtain items you need for crafting off a junk pile, get ready to do a lot of wandering. And expect to die more frequently and lose whatever you've managed to find. You certainly won't efficiently skill scavenging by staying within the radius of a homestead, band, or perhaps clan. I suppose members of a large tribe can scavenge in a great big circle without leaving their safe zones, but no one else can.

3. Tailoring. If you just like doing it, and you actually want to choose fabric colors and all that type of thing, forget doing so by scavenging. You'll either have to trade, or gather through the resources tab on a junk pile. That goes for doing anything else efficiently, too. If you have a specific need for, say, bolts, yes, you might stumble on 40 at a time while scavenging, but you might also spend several days getting everything else except bolts. If you're sorting junk from a pile, you can at least avoid picking up cloth and plastic if you know you need something metal.

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    2. Speaking of wandering, if you're going to increase your scavenging skill and actually try to obtain items you need for crafting off a junk pile, get ready to do a lot of wandering. And expect to die more frequently and lose whatever you've managed to find. You certainly won't efficiently skill scavenging by staying within the radius of a homestead, band, or perhaps clan. I suppose members of a large tribe can scavenge in a great big circle without leaving their safe zones, but no one else can.
    Do it like mowing a lawn, and by the time you get to the end of it, you go and deposit the stuff you found in a basket, start from the beginning, and it's usually ready again.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post
    Do it like mowing a lawn, and by the time you get to the end of it, you go and deposit the stuff you found in a basket, start from the beginning, and it's usually ready again.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, it would just be silly (and insanely inefficient) to do it that way if you don't have to, at least if you're a solo player heavily into crafting. For now, it makes no sense to settle away from a junk pile.

And I'm actually looking forward to the depletion and extinction of the junk piles. When alternative ways to obtain resources are available, I will happily embrace them. I also don't plan to try to move from pile to pile when the one I'm near is depleted. I'll either terraform where I am (since it's a great spot with a nice view and will probably be fun to build the soloer's version of a star fort on (please don't ask me how I will manage that in the space available to a homesteader, I haven't quite figured that out yet!), or I'll move to a new location with no junk pile anywhere around and build on that.