Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    [QUOTE=Lithosphere;74424]The only real use I can see for currency will be within tribes, as laws and standards can be enforced by leadership, and gives a quicker way to in-trade. Outside of that as mentioned before there's no security on your investment, so one day sitting on a fortune could become nothing within a day.[/QUOTE]

Unless something changes, this! Right now, due to demand and rarity, I use bones as my major form of "currency". If there were a patch today that increased animal spawns and numbers, my currency wouldn't be nearly as valuable as it is now.

I'd be sitting on a pile of (another useless and overabundant resource). Of course, without decay in and working, all of this is moot as, without it, Xsyon will look like post-WWI Germany.

"Okay..I'm bringing you four storage bins full of dollar bills and bottle caps...can I PLEASE have a knife?"

Like others said money dont have any value actually on Xsyon...one prove, what are you trading for 8 pennies, for exemple? I do nothing for that unless i can use the material of it for something...

...i believe in what just said the currency will be, are, what we need. In others MMO's the money have value cause its predeterminated in that world...here for now we determine what have value...unless will be crate NPC trading posts so it will make sense.

I know its probably been said time and time again, but currency is a hollow term that gives value to whatever is called currency. To have currency you must be exchange it for any other item. If nobody excepts the fact that you give them $1 for something and they cant turn around and buy something else with that $1 then its a useless system that will fail to work. Every person would have to be in agreement to except it as a currency. Doesn't sound difficult. But the only way i see it working is to refuse trading anything else until everyone caves to using it. Good luck with that.

With that said, nothing has value until you need it.

Hey now, lol

[QUOTE=d3m0nd0;74320]We should use people as currency.

I'll trade you 1 hopibear for a Bryan.[/QUOTE]

Generally, currency starts when there are two groups (tribes) who agree on assigning a currency value to a few normalized resources and allowing the market to decide the rest. Because the market is being decided between the two groups, it's fairly stable as long as the agreement remains in place...it mostly involves trust and stability. When other tribes join in on the agreement, the standard will eventually be set and currency will become standardized and begin to ebb and flow with market demands, new patches, game upgrades, player findings, etc.

I don't see this really happening until certain cities become natural marketplace hubs and trading posts become more widespread.

The specific ability for large groups of people or multiple allied tribes to suddenly decide to use another currency or do away with it altogether with the sole purpose being to undermine another set of allied tribes who hold large amounts of currency (trust) will also be a major detractor to ingame currency coming to permanent fruition.

I think the most likely system will be based on items of value (similar to trading 'motes' for 'crystals' in Asheron's Call) since there is little chance of a game (dev) based currency being established. I remember often trading motes for certain items of value, but rarely trading motes or crystals for ingame currency (pyreals).

[QUOTE=Malivius;74471]"Okay..I'm bringing you four storage bins full of dollar bills and bottle caps...can I PLEASE have a knife?"[/QUOTE]

Sold come to my camp later today; it is going to be a real crappy knife though

well its either "in god you trust" ( pop caps, dollar bills etc. ) or "in supply demand you trust" which I place my bet on. so far when people say can you make me or give me something I say, let me look at what I need.

the most efficient trade is between two players able to compliment eachother with a supply to the others needs.

the monetary system simply acts more like a .. converter of needs. Introducing one ore more parties needs at a time and place not as specific as now when a resource may or may not be available or demand and supply ratios may have changed.

still I keep plenty in stock of everything I can... if I need something, let me know what you need.

My tribe is going to be on demand for type of stuff used.
    Screws, nails, bolts, bones etc.

Wedges, metal buckles, saw blades, human heads...over time we will figure out an approximate value using rarity of the resources as well as how important the resources are. An old saw blade might be worth 500 nails, for instance. Depending on how rare and how useful saws are compared to nails....and saws are more useful than nails even though nails

edit: when i say nails i mean screws, rivets, nails...all lightweight and have there use.

I've not found an answer as yet, are there certain resources and items that are only located in specific areas? If it's yes then would that effect their value or potential use as a form of currency? (and is it a worthwhile project to map locations of resources/items/geology, I have a cartographic interest.. I have seen maps of zones/terrain but not what's where, including settlements etc.. H&H has an impressive map, maybe Xsyon needs one too?).