Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stats

You are missing the point completely, if I were to start with the useless stats from the start I would be able to have it right away, but because it is not implemented it would be probably the worst thing you could do by putting stat points into it. I don't really care about lore, or anything just what should end up happening because of if they are going toadd useless stats for people to waste points into they should offer a respec later. (Not everyone is going to read the forms and find out that charm and faith do nothing right now)

If the rules would change through a patch (introduction of magic system, introduction of new skills, etc) that would change the need of stats, then the game should offer a stat reset so the player can redistribute their stats. This was done for instance at every major patch in Vanguard. We should not have to worry and plan for something that might or might not be introduced six months down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by markusan View Post
    If the rules would change through a patch (introduction of magic system, introduction of new skills, etc) that would change the need of stats, then the game should offer a stat reset so the player can redistribute their stats. This was done for instance at every major patch in Vanguard. We should not have to worry and plan for something that might or might not be introduced six months down the line.
    I agree, I don't see this as a big deal personally. Eve has done it, most recently when they removed learning skills, and it didn't destroy the game. I'd require they raise the newly useful stats by a certain amount to be eligible.

It was done for swg multiple times as well (skills respec). I think they'll make a respec option if the majority of the community wishes it because that's how they operate, but you're missing the point of what I'm saying. I think of the "fictional world" aspect as that immersion is lacking in the current market and not the "game" aspect.

So here is a way to have a respec, BUT also make it relevent to the evolution within the "fictional world".

When magic is introduce, your character will need to discover it somehow and when they do you'll need to sacrifice some of your prowess in other stats or skills for that in magic. While this is a vague solution...I think it could be interesting to build upon.

I would suggest the community use their imagination to make it a sort of "evolutionary respec" that makes sense not just because of new introduced content in the game, but also to draw players into the world. Let's help make the game more than just the run-of-the-mill.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    When magic is introduce, your character will need to discover it somehow and when they do you'll need to sacrifice some of your prowess in other stats or skills for that in magic. While this is a vague solution...I think it could be interesting to build upon.
    Personally I don't care how they choose to explain it as far as the lore is concerned. I do totally agree that they should sacrifice in other areas though which is what I meant when I said they should be forced to raise the magic related stats by a certain amount when they respec.

6. 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM

I gotta be honest... I never care about lore in themepark games. But ever since DF stated they'd have secret places known to those who read it I've been a little more interested. All in all... everything would be more interesting if they made sense. Granted I actually don't care. It would just be cooler to see sensible mechanics rather than an insta-fix.

You could do something like.. build a church... pay a tribute.. god's grant you favor etc. Don't blah blah.. hard for soloers blah. I'm just throwin ideas out to make this discussion more colorful and less black and white. .. More fun if you will.

Or they could just remove the useless stats until they will be worth leveling then everyone would have to start them from scratch, wouldnt give you the option to get useless stats when it comes out tomorrow

they aren't useless...

If animal taming and cooking goes in they definitely won't be useless. Spirit I think is already secondary for architecture and basketry. No one knows how much secondary really means. Charm might be useless if there isn't animal taming come tomorrow, but we have know idea what fail/luck/tribal leadership means. Maybe they do something already. We just don't really know. We will probably know tomorrow.

Stats are already changing based on use. Before the wipe a few days ago, i put sprit at 40 and a few hours latter it was 39. This time I put it at 45 and it quickly dropped to 44 even though I was doing some basketry both times. Basketry is listed as a secondary skill effected. Maybe only primary skill use effects rise/fall of attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by vorg View Post
    Stats are already changing based on use. Before the wipe a few days ago, i put sprit at 40 and a few hours latter it was 39. This time I put it at 45 and it quickly dropped to 44 even though I was doing some basketry both times. Basketry is listed as a secondary skill effected. Maybe only primary skill use effects rise/fall of attributes.
    Skill digression works, but gain hasn't yet. It may work on launch.