Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    That applies to many things in this game. Take foraging, how hard to write a simple script that walks a perimeter? Time it to maximize coverage, rest if you have to, and wait for it to regrow. Repeat.

The good news for Xsyon is that these resources don't affect much. Creating more complicated things, like buildings, armor, weapons, etc, probably cannot be profitably automated.
    Good reply!

Some people seem to have the impression that you can build a macro that will function as an artificial intelligence of sorts and play the game for you. They don't work that way.

Added after 7 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedMorgan View Post
    Actually, it's romanized as Ninjutsu, which you should know being so edumucated.
    Romanization (or transliteration/transcription) is not an exact art. There are various romanizations for all kinds of Asian words. For example, the art I practice is romanized, depending on your preference, as 'Wing Chun', 'Ving Tsun', 'Wing Tsun', 'Weng Chun', etc. The spelling isn't the main feature of doing this. Being able to read and/or say the word in your native language is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMorgan View Post
    Hey, don't blame me when ninjas poison your well water because you can't romanize correctly!
    Duly noted.

Take yer stinkin' kung hu huju talk and sit on it! NO one gives steaming, gold, turd about what "arts" you parc-tise. I got your art danglin'

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    How do you tell if someone's macroing?

Attack them. If they don't fight back and just die...they were macroing.
    this !

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    Macro's are going to have a huge impact on gameplay if not enforced harshly.

xsyon has a soft cap, meaning you have to upkeep your skills. the more time you spent online training the skills you want the more skills you can keep up to max level.
    macro's allow people to ignore any macro able skill in game during thier normal play time and keep those skills up by using macro's as they sleep.

Hiding,running,jumping,teraforming are the most easy to macro. but skills like foraging and scavenging can be used in a macro aswell.
    A smart player would focus on two skills to macro , once they got max skill and all level points out of it , they switch to two other skills, letting the first two decay , getting max skill and level points again, repeat this and you have a never ending supply of level points you can use to upkeep more skills whit. all in all resulting in a heavy adv over player that do not use them.
    Don't forget that the plan for skill degradation can be more than just "over time it gets lower". It could include "While maxing leather crafting 3/4 of all my crafting skills dropped down to 60 or 50." Soft cap or not, the decay system can balance a lot of things and make specialization actually occur in the game. Also you'll need a LOT of skill points to make any dent in higher skills. I would also assume you'd either cap character leveling or make that change exponentially as well or let age effect the rate or something.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Don't forget that the plan for skill degradation can be more than just "over time it gets lower". It could include "While maxing leather crafting 3/4 of all my crafting skills dropped down to 60 or 50." Soft cap or not, the decay system can balance a lot of things and make specialization actually occur in the game. Also you'll need a LOT of skill points to make any dent in higher skills. I would also assume you'd either cap character leveling or make that change exponentially as well or let age effect the rate or something.
    I used to not like the skill decay idea, but when it comes to crafting it does seem pretty good. For combat though, I'd prefer a system where you were given so many points and each skill (or ability) cost so many points and you could equip/change skills (or abilities) at a totem, now that anyone can place a totem.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    How do you tell if someone's macroing?

Attack them. If they don't fight back and just die...they were macroing.
    You don't really believe this, do you Dubs?

Try again, sir :P

If it floats than it is a macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    If it floats than it is a macro.
    +10000000000